Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

2 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

If your original point was relating to that Rye College story earlier this week (apologies if it wasn't), wasn't the main outrage about the teacher's behaviour rather than the cat claim? The way she completely lost it because the girls happened to have a different view to hers was pretty shocking.

Might have started that way but the media cycle I saw was Starmer saying kids identifying as cats should be told to identify as kids, Birbalsingh saying parents are pushing for their kids to be treated as cats, and that kids are identifying as holograms, nothing about the teacher 

13 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Might have started that way but the media cycle I saw was Starmer saying kids identifying as cats should be told to identify as kids, Birbalsingh saying parents are pushing for their kids to be treated as cats, and that kids are identifying as holograms, nothing about the teacher 

How can you identify as a hologram?

7 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

The more details that emerge about Stockton Rush, the more arrogant and dangerous he sounds...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-65998914

There seems to be a few things coming out now. This was added to OceanGates wiki a couple of days ago. 

"After the tests were completed in January 2020, the hull of Titan began showing signs of cyclic fatigue and the craft was de-rated to 3,000 m (9,800 ft). The Spencer-built composite cylindrical hull either was repaired or replaced by Electroimpact and Janicki Industries in 2020 or 2021, prior to the first trips to Titanic. According to Rush, the carbon fiber materials had belonged to Boeing, but OceanGate had purchased them at a significant discount because they were past their shelf-life."

With a reference to this article.

https://www.travelweekly.com/North-America-Travel/Mission-Titanic-Part-2

Innovation and believing in your product is all well and good when you’re doing it yourself.

when you’re selling it and risking consumers that’s the sign of a mad man. 

it’s basically hand built and not tried and tested (I know it’s been several times before but it’s passed no regulation whatsoever) the fact he got away with selling it is an adrenaline junkies day out is crazy. 

Arrogance and self belief beyond belief at the ultimate price 

Edited by CountesthorpeFox1
  • Like 2

My daughter has just finished her GCSE's at a Leicestershire school, and I can confirm that she definitely had someone in her year who identified as a cat. No idea how this was handled within the school though. 

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

... yeah, and then you get different truths being fed to different people and discourse is dead and everyone is fvcked.

Oh dear.

Is there more to this than anecdotes or is Hitchens Razor going to apply again?

The problem with Hitchens razor is that even without evidence, the subject is still up for debate, which means the subject is still valid.

It's amazing how all these people are saying that when they went on the Titan there were all kinds of faults and it was safe. Either, why didn't you speak up earlier, or if they did, why did no one listen?

1 minute ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

It's amazing how all these people are saying that when they went on the Titan there were all kinds of faults and it was safe. Either, why didn't you speak up earlier, or if they did, why did no one listen?

It seems that quite a few did speak up. But Stockton Rush casually dismissed the concerns of every single one of them.

3 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

They did, the problem is that guy who could do anything as a result, Stockton Rush, wasn't exactly big on safety: https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/safety-is-just-pure-waste-titanic-sub-creator-stockton-rush/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Honestly, it is happening, no joke , no tongue in cheek! and schools are having to accomodate it.

I'm fascinated by the whole thing.

Schools are having to accommodate this.

Who's making them? What happens if they don't? What does it involve? What's being accommodated? Is it a blind eye being turned to someone pissing up desks, burying their tods in a neighbour's garden, and leaving weirdly dissected rodents and small birds for the teacher as little presents, or is it a pupil just saying that they identify as a cat now, the teacher saying "fair enough then" and everyone carrying on as normal?

I mean, I think there's something to be said for our classrooms suddenly looking like an item on Eurotrash but I find it hard to believe that anybody - let alone a young person - could be bothered to pursue this with any vigour 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I'm fascinated by the whole thing.

Schools are having to accommodate this.

Who's making them? What happens if they don't? What does it involve? What's being accommodated? Is it a blind eye being turned to someone pissing up desks, burying their tods in a neighbour's garden, and leaving weirdly dissected rodents and small birds for the teacher as little presents, or is it a pupil just saying that they identify as a cat now, the teacher saying "fair enough then" and everyone carrying on as normal?

I mean, I think there's something to be said for our classrooms suddenly looking like an item on Eurotrash but I find it hard to believe that anybody - let alone a young person - could be bothered to pursue this with any vigour 

Kids rule in the class now days, teachers are powerless and heads hide behind doors. We all know that kids will push to the limits to find the boundaries and I think it’s more of a case of seeing how far they can take the piss than genuinely identifying with an animal, it’s a trend. I blame the ban on bullying where everyone knows their place, we’ve ended up with a society where anyone can say anything they want to anyone and can get away with it, that and the everyone’s a winner rubbish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

The problem with Hitchens razor is that even without evidence, the subject is still up for debate, which means the subject is still valid.

Certainly it's still valid, just making the point that without evidence, no one who reads this has the slightest reason to believe anything you said on the matter beyond confirmation bias.

5 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Kids rule in the class now days, teachers are powerless and heads hide behind doors. We all know that kids will push to the limits to find the boundaries and I think it’s more of a case of seeing how far they can take the piss than genuinely identifying with an animal, it’s a trend. I blame the ban on bullying where everyone knows their place, we’ve ended up with a society where anyone can say anything they want to anyone and can get away with it, that and the everyone’s a winner rubbish.

Hierarchical Social Darwinism was always the better way, wasn't it?