Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

37 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

Something very dodgy about the Thames Water story. I'm sure there was a news story last year where they paid out over £1bn in dividends to shareholders, a big chunk of which were private investment funds from China and Malaysia.

A year later and they're suddenly £14bn in debt? I'm not the best with numbers or money and finance but why were they paying out such big dividends last year if they're so far in debt?

Taskmaster Wait What GIF - Taskmaster Wait what Dara o'briain - Discover &  Share GIFs

1 hour ago, lcfc278 said:

Something very dodgy about the Thames Water story. I'm sure there was a news story last year where they paid out over £1bn in dividends to shareholders, a big chunk of which were private investment funds from China and Malaysia.

A year later and they're suddenly £14bn in debt? I'm not the best with numbers or money and finance but why were they paying out such big dividends last year if they're so far in debt?

The dividends are paid out via raising debt 

42 minutes ago, bovril said:

We are governed by spivs who've managed to convince great swathes of the electorate they are not only on their side but what is more they represent the patriotic choice. 

As much as I embrace tech and see it as key to the future, the internet becoming widely accessible has been a godsend for con artists at all levels - even the very highest.

Nowadays you can have whatever "truth" you like delivered direct to your computer screen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

As much as I embrace tech and see it as key to the future, the internet becoming widely accessible has been a godsend for con artists at all levels - even the very highest.

Nowadays you can have whatever "truth" you like delivered direct to your computer screen.

Online conspiracy theory - the opiate of the idiotic. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

Can you explain this to me like I'm 5 years old

You own a water company that produces stable and reliable income forever (everyone needs water) therefore has a high valuation, You take out loads of debt against the company which is easy to do because it's so valuable. You pay that debt out as a dividend to your shareholders. You run off when it's time to invest in running the asset.

Imagine a landlord getting a £1m house for £20, mortgaging it a few times over and keeping the cash to himself whilst collecting rent from the tenant and doing nothing to maintain the house. Then in 25 years time when it crumbles to an uninhabitable state, making the tenant pay for all the repairs as well as paying the mortgage back via taxes. Eh voila..

• Thanks 4

Just now, grobyfox1990 said:

You own a water company that produces stable and reliable income forever (everyone needs water) therefore has a high valuation, You take out loads of debt against the company which is easy to do because it's so valuable. You pay that debt out as a dividend to your shareholders. You run off when it's time to invest in running the asset.

Imagine a landlord getting a £1m house for £20, mortgaging it a few times over and keeping the cash to himself whilst collecting rent from the tenant and doing nothing to maintain the house. Then in 25 years time when it crumbles to an uninhabitable state, making the tenant pay for all the repairs as well as paying the mortgage back via taxes. Eh voila..

It's mad that they've been allowed to do this. Especially for a company that deals in something so important a commodity as water is.

25 minutes ago, lcfc278 said:

It's mad that they've been allowed to do this. Especially for a company that deals in something so important a commodity as water is.

This is the point, there is nothing important in the world other than money. Macquarie are huge infrastructure investors, probably hundreds of billions of assets under mgt in vital infrastructure assets like water, internet, energy etc and this model of divi extraction is prevalent across all of them. Who's gonna stop them? We aren't lol, will just accept higher water bills because of 'global factors'

5 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

This is the point, there is nothing important in the world other than money. Macquarie are huge infrastructure investors, probably hundreds of billions of assets under mgt in vital infrastructure assets like water, internet, energy etc and this model of divi extraction is prevalent across all of them. Who's gonna stop them? We aren't lol, will just accept higher water bills because of 'global factors'

Perhaps that theory might be put to the test soon,

and

the laws of physics, leading on into chemistry, biology and thermodynamics

in that order. 

Of course, that won't just be unpleasant for them, so it would be nice for humans to deal with the short-term money-grubbers first.

40 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Perhaps that theory might be put to the test soon,

and

the laws of physics, leading on into chemistry, biology and thermodynamics

in that order. 

Of course, that won't just be unpleasant for them, so it would be nice for humans to deal with the short-term money-grubbers first.

Dunno, food will be more synthetic and well expensive, as will inhabitable areas. Every 'equaliser' turns out not to be equal at all. Much like Covid lol... 'it affects everyone equally' - what a load of tripe. The climate transition is a hugely profitable opportunity. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Dunno, food will be more synthetic and well expensive, as will inhabitable areas. Every 'equaliser' turns out not to be equal at all. Much like Covid lol... 'it affects everyone equally' - what a load of tripe. The climate transition is a hugely profitable opportunity. 

Nah, for some problems either we solve inequality along with it and go for a more egilatarian world or the only economy left will either be "armoured caravans heading between Immortan Joe's and the Bullet Farm", or "five bottlecaps for that tin of beans please".

The "have's" will not be able to shelter from it while maintaining the same quality of life they have now.

• Like 1

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/nyc-s-plan-to-slice-pizza-emissions-causes-backlash/ar-AA1d7JQC?OCID=ansmsnnews11

I don’t know.  Makes sense to me.  
If they could do something about those pizza places (less than 100 btw), it would probably do a lot more good than wasting time doing something about emissions from the 10000s of taxis and buses - or the countless number of cars.  Ffs

Just now, marbles said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/nyc-s-plan-to-slice-pizza-emissions-causes-backlash/ar-AA1d7JQC?OCID=ansmsnnews11

I don’t know.  Makes sense to me.  
If they could do something about those pizza places (less than 100 btw), it would probably do a lot more good than wasting time doing something about emissions from the 10000s of taxis and buses - or the countless number of cars.  Ffs

Power generation and construction. Those are the biggest players by far, and the ones that need to be addressed - far bigger even than transportation in all its forms.

This does just seem like window dressing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Power generation and construction. Those are the biggest players by far, and the ones that need to be addressed - far bigger even than transportation in all its forms.

This does just seem like window dressing.

I was thinking of the never ending cloud of smog that encompasses the shitehole called NY

But yes, there seems to be quite a few things they could address that would actually make a difference.  Instead, it’s pizza lol

13 minutes ago, marbles said:

I was thinking of the never ending cloud of smog that encompasses the shitehole called NY

But yes, there seems to be quite a few things they could address that would actually make a difference.  Instead, it’s pizza lol

Love NYC, defo gonna look for any cheap weekend breaks coming up now you mention it in such glowing terms. Eat a proper pie for breakfast lunch and dinner

Edited by grobyfox1990
typo

12 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Love NYC, defo gonna look for any cheap weekend breaks coming up now you mention it in such glowing terms. Eat a proper pie for breakfast lunch and dinner

Lol - good luck!

10 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

It would, but the build up would be a bit of a cliff hanger.

Exciting jeopardy in your final moments.

"Is it going to be now?"

"It's going to be now, I can feel it"

"Is iiiiitttttttt........now?"

"I can't wait!!!"

"I don't even think that it's going t -"

And you're dust

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

IMG_7243.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Daggers said:

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

IMG_7243.png

WTF has the daft **** done now?  I'm guessing something to do with payments from countries we're not supposed to be doing business with.

At least he's not drawing attention to it