Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

2 hours ago, weller54 said:

Are you predicting a riot? 

Well:

Watching the people get lairy
It's not very pretty I tell thee
Walking through town is quite scary
It's not very sensible either
A friend of a friend he got beaten
He looked the wrong way at a policeman

Then this

s

18 minutes ago, Lionator said:

He has to be the thickest person on the planet, how on earth can this be a good idea? 

I mean social media sites are famously good at retaining people by artificially restricting their use. Not like that's how sites generally lose people.

I wonder how well advertisers are taking this, knowing that they're now paying for less views than initially agreed...

I've not watched the news today but I don't think I've heard much about all this.

nothing on Microsoft either image.thumb.png.3cc80ccc5e6c8c73d7ede7d090232e7c.png

crazy how the media works, people where all over the coup in Russia but this we hear nothing.

Edited by whoareyaaa

3 hours ago, Sampson said:

While I agree it's going to ruin a lot of people's businesses etc., I certainly think it's going to improve policing, certainly more than sitting on your arse and just writing a strongly worded article about how it's not fine that you can shoot to death unnarmed teenagers will do at any rate, that isn't going to cause the police institution to change.

There's no way the high ups in the French police won't be bricking it right now and panickly rewriting all their training laws, working out how many of them are going to have to resign etc. to make sure it doesn't happen again.

I mean, let's be fair, not saying the pros outweigh the cons by a long shot or that it's warrented in most cases, but in terms of "how is that going to improve things?" it's pretty clear how rioting on the back of atrocities can pressurise the authorities into thinking that they've lost control and improve things for the future.

Meanwhile, the UK governments pushes through bills giving the home sec powers to shut down any protests they like, taking away a key check and balance that holds up democracy and another bill giving dual citizens less rights and literally turning them into 2nd class citizens and everyone sits passively by just letting it happen, while the stories barely make the news in the UK.

If I had people firing RPGs at my place of work I would also resign.

It's sad that this sort of murderous behaviour is encouraged and I hope it never happens here or indeed anywhere.

5 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Never understand riots. Smashing up your city and ruining local people and businesses. How is that going to improve anything? 

Well, you could get a new tele and a few pairs of Nikes out of it. I’ve seen one video of a couple of lads smoothing away a new lazy boy hot tub.

12 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

I've not watched the news today but I don't think I've heard much about all this.

nothing on Microsoft either image.thumb.png.3cc80ccc5e6c8c73d7ede7d090232e7c.png

crazy how the media works, people where all over the coup in Russia but this we hear nothing.

Probably because a coup in Russia isn’t going to start riots in the U.K.

Interesting how there's been no protest in the UK in response to the police killing in Nanterre. That's unsurprising I guess, until you remember the protests in London 3 years ago against police brutality in a country about 150 times further away from us than France. 

Edited by bovril

2 minutes ago, bovril said:

Interesting how there's been no protest in the UK in response to the police killing in Nanterre. That's unsurprising I guess, until you remember the protests in London 3 years ago against police brutality in a country about 150 times further away from us than France. 

....and about 150 times more influential culturally across the Anglosphere and claims to be the paragon of social virtue to the world, so those factors cancel each other out. :P

But in all seriousness, I think the difference between Francophone and Anglophone spheres does have an effect here and I think that a lot of folks simply don't know enough about the particulars of the case and there's not enough influential figures willing to rouse the crowd as there were a few years back, even though the issues are the same.

36 minutes ago, bovril said:

Would those protests have been as big as they were, had the lockdowns not been a thing at the time though? I’ve got to be honest I doubt it 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bovril said:

There are clear distinctions between the deaths of George Floyd and Nahel Merzouk. Whilst both examples of police brutality leading to the death of a minority. The shear brutality of kneeling on someone's neck while they call for help until they die is pretty hard to not be moved by especially when it was widely filmed and shared and as such it sparked a global movement. 

Whilst the death of Nahel has clearly sparked something in France I don't think the persecution of Muslims by the French police resonates in the same way as US police brutality does over here. I'm in no position to say if it is comparable and that's kinda the point.

16 hours ago, Captain... said:

There are clear distinctions between the deaths of George Floyd and Nahel Merzouk. Whilst both examples of police brutality leading to the death of a minority. The shear brutality of kneeling on someone's neck while they call for help until they die is pretty hard to not be moved by especially when it was widely filmed and shared and as such it sparked a global movement. 

Whilst the death of Nahel has clearly sparked something in France I don't think the persecution of Muslims by the French police resonates in the same way as US police brutality does over here. I'm in no position to say if it is comparable and that's kinda the point.

There are specifics to each case but they're not that different I don't think. They both boil down to police brutality against minorities. The reason one resonates more is because as others have said, America holds such a tight grip on us culturally and politically, even though by most metrics we're much more similar to France.

1 minute ago, bovril said:

There are specifics to each case but they're not that different I don't think. They both boil down to police brutality against minorities. The reason one resonates more is because as others have said, America holds such a tight grip on us culturally and politically, even though by most metrics we're much more similar to France.

True America does have culturally closer ties, but there have been many senseless killings and subsequent protests in the US that have not created much traction over here and have not created worldwide movements.

The nature of the killing of George Floyd and how the witness videos were shared on social media left nobody in any doubt about what a despicable act of police brutality it was.

This lead to a movement which spread worldwide.

Whilst by the sounds of it this was equally senseless, there is enough hearsay, conjecture and unverifiable witness statements which will always lead to doubt and speculation that the police had just cause and that these riots are not about the death of a young man but more about the state of the French society and as such it is not our business. It also doesn't have a snappily titled movement behind it. Justice for Nahel is not as wide ranging and unifying across borders as Black Lives Matter.

9 minutes ago, Captain... said:

True America does have culturally closer ties, but there have been many senseless killings and subsequent protests in the US that have not created much traction over here and have not created worldwide movements.

The nature of the killing of George Floyd and how the witness videos were shared on social media left nobody in any doubt about what a despicable act of police brutality it was.

This lead to a movement which spread worldwide.

Whilst by the sounds of it this was equally senseless, there is enough hearsay, conjecture and unverifiable witness statements which will always lead to doubt and speculation that the police had just cause and that these riots are not about the death of a young man but more about the state of the French society and as such it is not our business. It also doesn't have a snappily titled movement behind it. Justice for Nahel is not as wide ranging and unifying across borders as Black Lives Matter.

tbh the BLM movement catching on across the globe was one of the weirdest things I've seen and it already seems like a slightly cringey relic of a past age like the ice bucket challenge. I have no idea where it sprang from but the poster above suggesting it might be due to the lockdown (misplaced anger?) could be right

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, bovril said:

tbh the BLM movement catching on across the globe was one of the weirdest things I've seen and it already seems like a slightly cringey relic of a past age like the ice bucket challenge. I have no idea where it sprang from but the poster above suggesting it might be due to the lockdown (misplaced anger?) could be right

Yep it was probably also a factor in it. 

I think going back to the original point about this incident not sparking protests in the UK. I would say that, thankfully, that is the norm. We cannot be protesting after every incident in every other country. In the same way I wouldn't expect protests and vigils following the death of Sarah Everard in France or USA or Ireland. George Floyd/BLM was the exception and not the norm.

50 minutes ago, bovril said:

You make it sound like institutional racism isn't a problem that affects all the countries where there were protests.

• Like 3