Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

Can't really call the rhetoric from the government Trumpian when they've been doing it since before Trump even ran. We like to tell ourselves there's less racist stuff in British politics and press but it's debatable if that's true

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bovril said:

Can't really call the rhetoric from the government Trumpian when they've been doing it since before Trump even ran. We like to tell ourselves there's less racist stuff in British politics and press but it's debatable if that's true

I think there was progress being made on such social issues until 2016 and the Brexit vote, IMO. Since then it's been all downhill in terms of the rhetoric.

37 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Bloody communist banks, government, industry and the 55 Tufty St club

Screenshot 2023-07-04 at 12.52.48.png

Will it happen before the season starts? 

Can't wait for the PFL (People's Football League)

There are no winners, or losers... Only progress. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bovril said:

If you look at polling it's clear people have become significantly more liberal on issues like immigration and gay rights over the last few years. UK Conservative party is just desperate to cling on to what's left of their voters.

You also forget things pre 2016 like the hostile environment and the Incredibly toxic rhetoric towards Eastern Europeans

I'm not entirely sure about that, but I'm happy to take it at face value.

Fair points made though.

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

Fair points made though.

I think it’s true tbf. During the Brexit referendum there was a yougov poll asking about whether they saw immigration to the uk as a generally good or bad thing and it was a pretty strong generational split similar to the leave/remain split whereas those under 40 overwhelmingly saw immigration as a positive thing and those over 50 overwhelmingly saw it as a negative thing. I’ll see if I can find the poll later

It makes sense in a way that mass globalisation and mass global movement of goods and people and mass globalised information exchange with the internet in its current form really all started in the mid-1990s and the split roughly correlates between those who reached adulthood before and after that.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Fair points made though.

_105886676_imm_chart-nc.png

I think people forget how unpleasant some of the stuff was in the early 2010s. I was living in Bulgaria at the time and people were genuinely worried their family members in Britain were going to be lynched walking down the street.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Daggers said:

Bloody communist banks, government, industry and the 55 Tufty St club

Screenshot 2023-07-04 at 12.52.48.png

Thank goodness he still has a Blue Tick so we know it’s really him.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

Captain Tom did laps of his garden, so his daughter could do laps of her pool. 

Proper heartwarmer, this. :ph34r:

Honestly the only thing that would make this even the slightest bit palatable was if Captain Tom had himself cooked the whole thing up in an effort to leave some money.

One suspects this is not the case, though.

12 hours ago, RoboFox said:

Captain Tom did laps of his garden, so his daughter could do laps of her pool. 

Proper heartwarmer, this. :ph34r:

The Times covered this as well. While the Pool and Spa application mentioned the charity, there is no suggestion it was paid for with Charity funds, more they were trying to get retrospective approval which was denied, hence it need to dismantle.  No doubt they will appeal.  What seems improper but probably not illegal is they ran a business alongside the charity selling Captain tom merch.  Probably people confused the two.

Imagine Vardy coming out with nonsense like Le Tissier. This is why we shouldn't want our favourite players to say anything remotely political.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Sickening that he scored against us four times.

I went to watch Southampton several times just to watch him play, he was a joy to behold. It’s such a shame he’s gone like this. 

3 minutes ago, Daggers said:

I went to watch Southampton several times just to watch him play, he was a joy to behold. It’s such a shame he’s gone like this. 

This is right.

Pity for those like him, anger at and (hopefully) decisive action against those who originated these ideas for base purposes and see him as an easy mark to spread them.

• Like 1

It’s been eerily fascinating to watch Le Tissier’s descent, from “I have questions” to “This is all a grand conspiracy, orchestrated by the mysterious ‘they’”. It’s a case study in someone slowly getting warped into all of this, on the surface because their ego couldn’t admit they were wrong about anything. Maybe there’s an underlying cause and turmoil. But either way I don’t know how you prevent it.

4 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

The Times covered this as well. While the Pool and Spa application mentioned the charity, there is no suggestion it was paid for with Charity funds, more they were trying to get retrospective approval which was denied, hence it need to dismantle.  No doubt they will appeal.  What seems improper but probably not illegal is they ran a business alongside the charity selling Captain tom merch.  Probably people confused the two.

Oh, I agree. Hence the little ninja emoji. This in itself is a bit of a non story, but it does make for a nice tidbit for those who already believe she's a massive grifter and the charity stinks.

1 hour ago, RoboFox said:

Oh, I agree. Hence the little ninja emoji. This in itself is a bit of a non story, but it does make for a nice tidbit for those who already have correctly identified that she's a massive grifter and the charity stinks.

Fixed

Edited by ealingfox

3 hours ago, Koke said:

Imagine Vardy coming out with nonsense like Le Tissier. This is why we shouldn't want our favourite players to say anything remotely political.

Is it unfortunately bad that I wouldnt think it was beyond the realms of possibility?

3 hours ago, Koke said:

I mean, I personally love watching Lineker rustle the jimmies of Tory bootlickers. 

1 hour ago, Dunge said:

It’s been eerily fascinating to watch Le Tissier’s descent, from “I have questions” to “This is all a grand conspiracy, orchestrated by the mysterious ‘they’”. It’s a case study in someone slowly getting warped into all of this, on the surface because their ego couldn’t admit they were wrong about anything. Maybe there’s an underlying cause and turmoil. But either way I don’t know how you prevent it.

Few of these types I sometimes feel a bit sorry for tbh. Laurence Fox particularly, I know he's probably doing alright financially off of this grift, but predicating your outward-facing personality and a significant part of your existence on hatred and anger must be very damaging and he seems a deeply unhappy person sometimes.

• Like 1