Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

8 hours ago, Wymsey said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/hospital-left-confused-85-year-8580273

This is beyond disgusting but, sadly, this is probably more a common incident than the general public realise..

Had to report a similar incident myself when was working at the LRI a couple of years ago.

When my dad was in his last stages of life in the LRI, he was confused and delirious due to an infection and I had to wipe faeces from his mouth as he was incontinent but felt the discomfort and wiped himself with his fingers then put them to his mouth. This wasn't a one-off. I pointed it out to the staff but every visit I made I was cleaning him up.

• Sad 4

5 minutes ago, marbles said:

Not so sure I believe that.

Well the truth lies in their reporting/writing and reputation. In journalism you are judged by your record in terms of accuracy, objectivity and integrity. 

2 hours ago, Parafox said:

When my dad was in his last stages of life in the LRI, he was confused and delirious due to an infection and I had to wipe faeces from his mouth as he was incontinent but felt the discomfort and wiped himself with his fingers then put them to his mouth. This wasn't a one-off. I pointed it out to the staff but every visit I made I was cleaning him up.

Remember that fella who called the police from his hospital bed? He had been neglected by the staff and felt he had no choice.

Edited by Free Falling Foxes

3 hours ago, Parafox said:

Well, I don't live in Leicester, but I spent a reasonable amount of time visiting my grandparents there during their respective illnesses and deaths.

In all my career as a nurse, all over London and the SE, I'd be hard pressed to think of many wards as bad as those I visited at the LRI. The care was an absolute disgrace.

3 hours ago, Parafox said:

I am so, so sorry you and your dad had to go through that.

Hospitals are just not equipped to deal with the volume of patients with such short staff. The staff and resources have literally been taken away.

My dad's best friend of 65 years had suffered from oesophagus cancer last year but had survived it, rung the bell and everything. But he'd had a stomach pump fitted so he could eat etc.

Last December he'd been admitted to the LRI with complications with his pump thing. One morning he went to the loo, in the middle of the nurses handover, and collapsed with a massive haemorrhage. THREE HOURS went by until they finally checked on the ward's only toilet and why it might be locked. He was dead.

I strongly believe that if there were sufficient nurses he'd be alive today.

The restriction of funds to the NHS directly leads to the loss of dignity and life.

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Line-X said:

Well the truth lies in their reporting/writing and reputation. In journalism you are judged by your record in terms of accuracy, objectivity and integrity. 

Or ability to create a good story. 

Depending on how you define journalism, of course..

So they’ll have to state that the photo doing the rounds is a fake but that the person in the photo is the suspended presenter. 
of course that will take some time - unless someone names him in parliament. I don’t believe that there is yet a police case yet opened so does that open an avenue where reporting something that is true can’t be seen as a problem re possible court proceedings??

and finally - do we know if the teenager is male or female ?? 

Edited by st albans fox

19 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

So they’ll have to state that the photo doing the rounds is a fake but that the person in the photo is the suspended presenter. 
of course that will take some time - unless someone names him in parliament. I don’t believe that there is yet a police case yet opened so does that open an avenue where reporting something that is true can’t be seen as a problem re possible court proceedings??

Male.

19 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Originally, the story referred to the teenager as female, now just saying young person

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Sadly that's about right. Whether something is true, half true or not true at all appears to be often secondary.

I remember reading Nick Davies Flat Earth News a good ten to fifteen odd years ago and being depressed about it then. 

I'd love to read an updated version of it now through the lens of the 2020s fake news era because honestly looking back it feels like even he didn't fully appreciate how bad the world of news reporting would truly get. 

2 hours ago, Line-X said:

In terms of the gutter/tabloid press, yes. But that's a given and isn't what we were referring to. 

now why did you leave out the second half of my post?  You know, the part that address the point you just raised

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I remember reading Nick Davies Flat Earth News a good ten to fifteen odd years ago and being depressed about it then. 

I'd love to read an updated version of it now through the lens of the 2020s fake news era because honestly looking back it feels like even he didn't fully appreciate how bad the world of news reporting would truly get. 

The Internet has acted as an exponential force multiplier for it all.

And I know I repeat myself on this, but when it comes to science reporting in particular, it depresses and terrifies me in equal measure.

13 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

The Internet has acted as an exponential force multiplier for it all.

And I know I repeat myself on this, but when it comes to science reporting in particular, it depresses and terrifies me in equal measure.

Yeah, the internet only really acts as context in Flat Earth News. He talks a lot about how print news has to try and be as profitable as possible to compete with the changing world of online sources. Hence an uptick in mass produced stories rehashing copy written by some intern on near minimum wage and a reduction in overall journalistic quality. 

Most of FEN is about how the desire to make as much money as possible is changing the world of the news. 

It's less about what we see a lot of now which is bad actors using broadcasters and social media platforms that they own and influence to so blatantly and shamelessly push their own narrative. 

Edited by Finnegan

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Yeah, the internet only really acts as context in Flat Earth News. He talks a lot about how print news has to try and be as profitable as possible to compete with the changing world of online sources. Hence an uptick in mass produced stories rehashing copy written by some intern on near minimum wage and a reduction in overall journalistic quality. 

Most of FEN is about how the desire to make as much money as possible is changing the world of the news. 

It's less about what we see a lot of now which is bad actors using broadcasters and social media platforms that they own and influence to so blatantly and shamelessly push their own narrative. 

The former has led seamlessly into the latter IMO - those bad actors know that telling people what they want to hear pays the best, and that's changing things further.

Of course, you also have the committed ideologues for whom money is secondary to oppressing the "other", but I do think an awful lot of it is about the greenbacks.

22 minutes ago, MPH said:

now why did you leave out the second half of my post?  You know, the part that address the point you just raised

Because as I said, I wouldn't define that as journalism and it wasn't what we were discussing.