Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

3 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/gloucestershire-school-in-lockdown-as-emergency-services-called-to-the-scene-12918418

Unsurprising considering the profession has taken a media shoeing recently.

Terrible.

Are there many people left in the UK who would honestly want to be teachers right now? I know you couldn't pay me enough to do it, not now.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

Are there many people left in the UK who would honestly want to be teachers right now? I know you couldn't pay me enough to do it, not now.

Huge recruitment and retention issues.

Go and look at any comments section on education. The current government have devalued the image of teachers to the point that the public are openly hostile against then.

Admittedly, I'm biased, but the teachers I worked with were almost all there to help others. The teachers that folk froth at the mouth about aren't my lived experience of things.

Heading for total collapse of the state school system. At least then the parents will feel happy until it becomes time for their kids to do basically anything.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, iniesta said:

Media criticism of teachers results in pupils stabbing them....?

The devaluation of teachers in the eyes of the public results in them representing targets, yes.

That's the same of any profession. It HAS happened to many sectors of society. Right now it's happening to educational professionals.

• Like 1

Media criticism of teachers results in pupils stabbing them....?

Media criticism disparaging a good profession evidently being what people want to hear (because otherwise they wouldn't print it) is representative of the public devaluation of them and them being targets.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Huge recruitment and retention issues.

Go and look at any comments section on education. The current government have devalued the image of teachers to the point that the public are openly hostile against then.

Admittedly, I'm biased, but the teachers I worked with were almost all there to help others. The teachers that folk froth at the mouth about aren't my lived experience of things.

Heading for total collapse of the state school system. At least then the parents will feel happy until it becomes time for their kids to do basically anything.

You'd have thought Covid and kids staying at home might have disabused parents of such notions. Evidently people's memories are short.

Just now, leicsmac said:

You'd have thought Covid and kids staying at home might have disabused parents of such notions. Evidently people's memories are short.

Nope.

Even more prevalent is the idea that schools were closed during this time as though every school shut it's doors.

They were open to vulnerable and key worker children of which 50%< qualified for. The schools I have good knowledge of also had a 'don't question' policy for parents sending their kids in as it was clearly a horrid time for all.

Speak to most folk and that's not the collective memory.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, foxile5 said:

Nope.

Even more prevalent is the idea that schools were closed during this time as though every school shut it's doors.

They were open to vulnerable and key worker children of which 50%< qualified for. The schools I have good knowledge of also had a 'don't question' policy for parents sending their kids in as it was clearly a horrid time for all.

Speak to most folk and that's not the collective memory.

Quite right.

We live in interesting times. And there's a reason the Chinese use that as a curse, not a benediction.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

The devaluation of teachers in the eyes of the public results in them representing targets, yes.

That's the same of any profession. It HAS happened to many sectors of society. Right now it's happening to educational professionals.

some kids are scum and have no moral compass, I struggle to believe the stabbing occurred because teachers have been apparently been devalued

teachers are not beyond criticism 

5 minutes ago, iniesta said:

some kids are scum and have no moral compass, I struggle to believe the stabbing occurred because teachers have been apparently been devalued

Never way it implied they are beyond criticism.

If you struggle to believe it then I'll not waste my time trying to convince you otherwise.

Edited by foxile5

6 minutes ago, iniesta said:

Certainly they are not.

As is becoming increasingly evident by every media (social or otherwise) hit piece and governmental decision made regarding them.

1 minute ago, foxile5 said:

Never way it implied they are beyond criticism.

If you struggle to believe it then I'll not waste my time trying to convince you otherwise.

Some folks just see "summer 'break'" and satisfy their own confirmation bias from there, the truth be damned.

51 minutes ago, iniesta said:

You struggle to believe that people can be persuaded to blame and other certain groups, and therefore target their rage towards them? I do not believe anyone can be that naive unless they are in denial of the effects of government, media and social media.

36 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

You struggle to believe that people can be persuaded to blame and other certain groups, and therefore target their rage towards them? I do not believe anyone can be that naive unless they are in denial of the effects of government, media and social media.

Confirmation bias is a hell of a blinker.

• Like 1

Incredibly disappointing if the name of the bbc employee strongly being suggested online is correct. Always seemed one of the few decent ones, particularly covering the queen's death. Thought they were extremely professional. 

56 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

i do not believe the kid has stabbed a teacher because of the daily mail stigmatising teachers.

Since when have teachers ever been respected by pupils, they certainly were not in the 90's-00s when I was at a comp school 

i do not believe the kid has stabbed a teacher because of the daily mail stigmatising teachers.

Since when have teachers ever been respected by pupils, they certainly were not in the 90's-00s when I was at a comp school 

You do believe in cause and effect though, right? And you do know that the Daily mail and their ilk does permeate peoples' minds?

4 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

You do believe in cause and effect though, right? And you do know that the Daily mail and their ilk does permeate peoples' minds?

And you do know that Iniesta is now wondering why the Daily Mail have a moose?

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

I questioned the narrative that media criticism of teachers has resulted in this particular stabbing.... I really don't see what point you're trying to make

I questioned the narrative that media criticism of teachers has resulted in this particular stabbing.... I really don't see what point you're trying to make

That they are becoming a legitimised target in the minds of the ignorant and the angry due to the constant hatred written about them.

2 minutes ago, iniesta said:

That the pervasive criticism of a particular grouping of people - NOT just by the daily mail - has an impact on the thinking of the public.

99% are just informed slightly but there are a small group of people who do violent or destructive things based on the confirmation bias they held making them think terrible things.