Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

3 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Best endgame: The S*n is bankrupted and we never see it in print again. 

Even bester endgame: Murdoch is taken to the fvcking cleaners at the same time and collapses in court and dies. The man has been a cancer in British society since the day he began selling everyone page 3 tits. May his MI be excruciating and drawn out over a couple of hours. 

It's the type of thing that does get papers wound down.

If there isn't any truth to it and The BBC decide to get unruly about reputational damage it could get all legal.

19 minutes ago, Daggers said:

Even bester endgame: Murdoch is taken to the fvcking cleaners at the same time and collapses in court and dies. The man has been a cancer in British society since the day he began selling everyone page 3 tits. May his MI be excruciating and drawn out over a couple of hours. 

15 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

It's the type of thing that does get papers wound down.

If there isn't any truth to it and The BBC decide to get unruly about reputational damage it could get all legal.

One can only hope.

49 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Just gonna throw it out there, if I was making 35k over 3 years for showing my ass to fund a crack habit, I reckon I'd be mad if it was outed and the gravy train came to a screaching halt too. 

I just don't really like all the speculating. I know a close family friend ended up estranged from her son. She's fairly middle class and has two sons (they're now in their 40s). Both were privately educated. One is happily married with children and a decent professional career , I think an oxbridge degree and still connected to the family. The other got into drugs, he managed to get into Cambridge but the drugs and alcohol became his life and he'd ring his mother up late at night calling her all sorts of stuff. I think they tried to support him but he dropped out and went off the radar a bit. Afaik last they knew he'd become a policeman. I've no idea if he got on in the police, would actually be good at it or if he's got any kind of relationship with his mother. Knowing what middle class culture can be like I can't help but wonder if she unintentionally gave the impression that her sons' love and value was dependent on their success in classical terms even if she only wanted the best for them. 

I somehow don't get the impression this case with the BBC involves a family who are middle class. Not trying to be elitist but culture is a thing. Yet I get the same feeling like this is something where the situation isn't a simple black and white, good vs bad thing. 

1 hour ago, Finnegan said:

I'm normally extremely hesitant to join it with all the judgemental rubbernecking when this sort of shit is all over the national news. But the first thing that did occur to me is that the mother and step father wanted the fame and attention. All of the early quotes weren't "we took this immediately to the police" it was basically "we wanted the BBC to treat us importantly." 

And if your teenage kid is a crack addict sex worker I'm not entirely sure you should be looking too far outside your home for reasons why. 

Doesn't exactly look like mother of the year tbqh. 

Ball smashed firmly out of the park 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

"Normally", "but".

I absolutely accept in this instance I am being extremely judgmental. 

Yeah, I noticed the caveats. Still surprised that you came up with that though. Many reasons not related to parenting why children are on or off the rails both ways. I know some great people who’ve had shit parenting and vice versa. I replied because that is very unlike you. 

Edited by Mike Oxlong

2 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Yeah, I noticed the caveats. Still surprised that you came up with that though. Many reasons not related to parenting why children are on or off the rails both ways. I know some great people who’ve had shit parenting and vice versa. I replied because that is very unlike you. 

Absolutely and I'm not normally that callous or close minded but when you're talking about a couple who look more interested in selling their child's sex work story to a scummy tabloid than actually getting them help and support then I find it easier to jump to harsh conclusions. 

Especially when their son is estranged, currently an adult, wants nothing to do with the story and is hiring their own legal representation to shut his mother down. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Absolutely and I'm not normally that callous or close minded but when you're talking about a couple who look more interested in selling their child's sex work story to a scummy tabloid than actually getting them help and support then I find it easier to jump to harsh conclusions. 

Especially when their son is estranged, currently an adult, wants nothing to do with the story and is hiring their own legal representation to shut his mother down. 

I don’t know enough about any aspect of the story to make sweeping statementst. I just thought you’d had a bump to the head and gone all Piers Morgan ! 

Have they received payment for the story ? - I thought not. Agree the scummy tabloid bit though. I wonder who has paid the son’s lawyer and how vulnerable he is even as an adult ? 

• Haha 1

I think the range of possibilities in this story is what makes it most interesting.

The parents: From trying to stage an intervention to stop their son disappearing down a route of drugs and debauchery to trying to make a quick buck from either newspaper or presenter when the opportunity presented itself.

The son: From someone who’s just basically cultivating a life for himself to someone who needs help.

The presenter: Groomer? Service user? Is what he’s done illegal? I genuinely don’t know.

The Sun: From harvester of misery to take a cheap shot at the BBC to… we’ll actually that one’s pretty well nailed on.

2 hours ago, Daggers said:

Even better endgame:

That actually happens, the BBC gets blamed for the death, which in turn gets shut down. 

(Let’s just forget that the BBC is untouchable for a second and enjoy the thought)

I know they haven't named the man involved or the presenter but they obviously named that it was a BBC presenter.  If nothing illegal has occurred could we get the BBC suing the Sun or as its an organisation does that change things. 

1 hour ago, Dunge said:

Rishi Sunak says the BBC presenter allegations are “shocking and concerning”.

Are they though? Is anyone here shocked? Is anyone here concerned?

Are you ok?

I don't know. If the PM says we are maybe he's right?

7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Apparently the met are currently double checking if a crime has actually been committed 

If a mother has actual evidence that an adult was receiving explicit images of their child, I just can't wrap my head around not immediately taking that evidence straight to the police really. 

You go to the BBC and then the tabloids because you're chasing clout. 

Unless I'm missing something, everywhere seems to implying it was the BBC that took the matter to the met? 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

One thing I've been thinking.

Imagine you're a BBC presenter last week who is regularly on screen, but is looking forward to that holiday they booked next week.

Think one of them had to clarify they've taken 'long-planned holiday leave'. Shouldn't need to come to that but the trial by social media goes into such a frenzy. 

47 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

If a mother has actual evidence that an adult was receiving explicit images of their child, I just can't wrap my head around not immediately taking that evidence straight to the police really. 

You go to the BBC and then the tabloids because you're chasing clout. 

Unless I'm missing something, everywhere seems to implying it was the BBC that took the matter to the met? 

Exactly what I can't fathom either. 

Much of the fuss seems to be that the BBC 'didn't take the complaint seriously' and lakc of comms as opposed to Police determining that a crime hasn't taken place... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

One thing I've been thinking.

Imagine you're a BBC presenter last week who is regularly on screen, but is looking forward to that holiday they booked next week.

There really is never a good time to go into a diabetic coma is there

• Like 1