Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

2 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Hilarious that Dorries still in a strop because she didn't get a peerage.

Even more hilarious is that her "tell all" biography aka hatchet job on Rishi, is being published the day before his speech at conference. 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Raj said:

Cheers Sampson.

Hardly crime of the century is it?

Is it really worth all the gumpf in the media last few days?

Suppose this is where we are at now...

As fair as I can see, it’s obvious the Murdoch empire want to take down the BBC, Edwards is just collateral damage here. It was ideologically motivated because of who works for.

Hope he gets back on air, this is nothing he should be losing his job over. Have a feeling the BBC will fold under pressure and let him go though.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Sampson said:

As fair as I can see, it’s obvious the Murdoch empire want to take down the BBC, Edwards is just collateral damage here. It was ideologically motivated because of who works for.

Hope he gets back on air, this is nothing he should be losing his job over. Have a feeling the BBC will fold under pressure and let him go though.

For his own sake early retirement may be best

8 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Is it a sack-able offence, what he allegedly did?

Could certainly be gross misconduct.

I'm not in the public eye but I would feel fortunate if I still had a job afterwards.

7 minutes ago, kenny said:

Could certainly be gross misconduct.

I'm not in the public eye but I would feel fortunate if I still had a job afterwards.

Gross misconduct in what way? 

The worse thing he's done here is have an affair, which is a private thing? He didn't physically go out and get the kid the drugs did he? 

Just now, Sampson said:

I fail to see how you could argue for gross misconduct here.

Bringing the company into disrepute.

If my own personal reputation were to have a negative effect on the business then they would probably seek to ensure I no longer worked there.

22 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Gross misconduct in what way? 

The worse thing he's done here is have an affair, which is a private thing? He didn't physically go out and get the kid the drugs did he? 

Hard to speculate really what's gone on because we don't really know. 

Some jobs an affair is sackable, the military for instance. Not that the BBC should if all it was - at worst - was an affair. 

Edited by ARTY_FOX

27 minutes ago, kenny said:

Bringing the company into disrepute.

If my own personal reputation were to have a negative effect on the business then they would probably seek to ensure I no longer worked there.

Let me guess, you’re anti-BBC and much like the Sun are trying to find a reason to attack them?

He’s in the news because of a nothing story, he’s done nothing illegal and because a newspaper who has it in for his employees decided to try and make something that should clearly be private not private. It’s seriously admitting defeat if you’re sacking someone every time a nothing story gets published. The BBC would be going through half its staff by next year with the way the current government and tabloids have been out to get them.

It’s just the Lineker story from a couple of months back all over again when the media and government tried to whip up a faux outrage against a big BBC name.

Your company can seek to do whatever they like but they can’t legally fire you with pretty flimsy wishy-washy pretexts of “reputational damage” if you’ve worked somewhere for 2+ years, they have to be able to prove it. They need genuine and just cause, being in the news for doing something legal is hardly “gross misconduct”.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, ARTY_FOX said:

Hard to speculate really what's gone on because we don't really know. 

Some jobs an affair is sackable, the military for instance. Not that the BBC should if all it was - at worst - was an affair. 

The military has special rules though, you’re discharged not fired in the same labour laws as regular jobs. Very few companies could fire you for an affair without expecting a law suit and having to genuinely prove damage. The burden of proof is on the employer not the employee if you’ve worked somewhere 2+ years.

47 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Is it a sack-able offence, what he allegedly did?

Probably not, but I bet there’s something in all bbc contracts that says as an employee of the beeb you’re expected to hold the standards that are expected of a national institution. It’s time to get rid of the beeb though, just seems to go from one scandal to another.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Probably not, but I bet there’s something in all bbc contracts that says as an employee of the beeb you’re expected to hold the standards that are expected of a national institution. It’s time to get rid of the beeb though, just seems to go from one scandal to another.

I don't believe in having affairs (obviously), but where would doing so indicate the needs for dismissal? 

Not sure this warrants a further point to get rid of the BBC. 

It's not a scandal. It's The Sun following through with something based on little substance and very little evidence of actual wrongdoing. It's a private matter between Huw and his wife. 

The only issue the BBC have is perhaps not following up the complaint quicker. I wouldn't even call it a scandal. 

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

I don't believe in having affairs (obviously), but where would doing so indicate the needs for dismissal? 

Not sure this warrants a further point to get rid of the BBC. 

It's not a scandal. It's The Sun following through with something based on little substance and very little evidence of actual wrongdoing. It's a private matter between Huw and his wife. 

The only issue the BBC have is perhaps not following up the complaint quicker. I wouldn't even call it a scandal. 

I think it is a scandal if I’m honest, but that is aimed at The Sun and not Huw