Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

Heard a doctor at a London hospital say that non-clinical staff should only get a 3% pay rise, at most, whilst clinical staff should get at least 30%..

Edited by Wymsey

32 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Heard a doctor at a London say that non-clinical staff should only get a 3% pay rise, at most, whilst clinical staff should get at least 30%..

I’ve heard some teachers arguing that staff shouldn’t go on strike.

Some people are just fvcking stupid.

2 minutes ago, Daggers said:

I’ve heard some teachers arguing that staff shouldn’t go on strike.

Some people are just fvcking stupid.

My sister in law is one of those thickos.

For some reason she is happy with her salary.

17 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Heard a doctor at a London hospital say that non-clinical staff should only get a 3% pay rise, at most, whilst clinical staff should get at least 30%..

I don’t think this is unreasonable but could be implemented differently (explained in my 2nd para). In some branches of the Armed Forces, you can forego your ‘x-factor’ which removes 14.5% of your salary to ensure you don’t get deployed. Ideal for single parents who simply can’t deploy after life changes. They in turn get paid less than the people who can and will spend months away from home. Which is fair in my opinion.

Maybe in the NHS a better solution would be to give all staff the flat rate increase in line with inflation, with the ones at higher risk getting an additional supplement (including non-clinical staff if they fall into that bracket).

This may not have been worded how I wanted it to be, nobody should really be taking a relative pay-cut in the public sector when the situation has been manufactured by their leaders. 

Edited by Leeds Fox

After months of shitty chicanery and technical law breaking I thought this current sitting government had lost the ability to surprise me with their behavior but it turns out not.

Make no mistake about it: the policy on higher education is an overt attack on social mobility and is in line with Pre WW1 conservatism - that is to say upper class rule and an attempt to drive the lower classes into servitude.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

After months of shitty chicanery and technical law breaking I thought this current sitting government had lost the ability to surprise me with their behavior but it turns out not.

Make no mistake about it: the policy on higher education is an overt attack on social mobility and is in line with Pre WW1 conservatism - that is to say upper class rule and an attempt to drive the lower classes into servitude.

And using media, print and social, as a tool by which to do so.

It cannot be allowed to continue, for more reasons than the moral.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

And using media, print and social, as a tool by which to do so.

It cannot be allowed to continue, for more reasons than the moral.

It's worrying isn't it?

And the current political and social climate makes it de rigeur to hear 'fascism' as a criticism of any policy you disagree with so to call it that would just seem as though generally disagreeing with it.

Just now, foxile5 said:

It's worrying isn't it?

And the current political and social climate makes it de rigeur to hear 'fascism' as a criticism of any policy you disagree with so to call it that would just seem as though generally disagreeing with it.

I've said it before, as someone rather keenly interested in the future, it flat-out terrifies me because with all our advances the current system with its inequalities and bigger ones being advocated for is simply incompatible with long-term human civilisation.

That's not just the various ecological stuff - though it's a big part - it's also the way the world is interconnected and advances in technology, too. The world has to change the way it governs and addresses this matter, or it will simply fall apart and we'll be left with Immortan Joe and his Warboys (but that fvcking flamethrower guitar might be worth it :ph34r:).

• Like 1

Re: University courses; firstly let me start by saying that no one should ever face any barriers to entry when it comes to educating and up skilling themselves and if that is the purpose of this policy then that is totally unacceptable. 

That said, the article above only looks at these plans from one perspective, i.e. by limiting the number of courses that offer limited economic value, and makes a the point that such plans discriminate against a cross section of students from very specific demographics who proportionally tend to enrol for such courses. 

There is however another argument that these plans will stop Universities exploiting these group's of people by offering very expensive courses with qualifications that have no tangible value to the eventual graduate. There's plenty of courses that have sprung up that aren't prerequisites for entry into the industries which they are marketed as assisting entry into. Universities too are notorious for overstating starting salaries upon graduation and often market courses based on the long term earning potential but don't differentiate earning potential between those with and without formal qualifications. This may lead some students to take on sizeable debts to cover fees and accommodation which aren't actually needed inorder to achieve their career aspirations. 

As mentioned already, if these plans are to restrict certain demographic populations from applying and undertaking higher education then I think this is very concerning. However if it's to slow down the number of universities exploiting people by offering courses of limited value with the knock on effect being that this in turn drives more into higher earning jobs in sectors which have a high demand for skilled professionals now and in the foreseeable future then I think this policy shouldn't be frowned upon. 

Edited by ian__marshall

5 hours ago, foxile5 said:

I'm sure it'll be equally applied to Oxbridge Classics courses too.