Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

Here's an idea - a politics sub forum that is hidden from the site and unmoderated where we can self moderate and causes nobody any grief who doesn't want to read it. Invisible from search engines, invisible to normal forum members.

We've done the same on the site I work for, it works great. I can't use it due to work/forum identify conflicts. 

The problems caused here are almost negligeable, I can't see the problem tbh.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

Whilst I will have to respect the big banner we now have on this thread, surely some of the biggest news is politics atm? If people can't be civil can't they be removed from posting, rather than the topic itself?

I'm thinking of sledgehammer and nuts for some reason.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, bovril said:

7t3jal.jpg

Key word being “Talk”.

Maybe Mark should make anyone wanting access to a political thread, put up $20.  They act a fool.  Call someone names.  Argue in bad faith.
They lose the 20, and are booted until they put up another $20.

I know a few around here would need to get part time jobs.

2 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Whilst I will have to respect the big banner we now have on this thread, surely some of the biggest news is politics atm? If people can't be civil can't they be removed from posting, rather than the topic itself?

You only have to respect things that deserve respect, and it clearly isn't a lack of civility that he has a problem with.

32 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Does this qualify as news or politics or should it be put in the absolute ***** of our time thread?

I've no idea if this belongs here or not either? Strange times.

8 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Does this qualify as news or politics or should it be put in the absolute ***** of our time thread?

Given some of the huge sums of money the conservatives have received from high profile russians, does that mean we can send them the bill for everything we have sent to the Ukraine?

Because they must be held partly responsible and therefore foot the bill on grant schapps logic.

The thing with politics in the news is that very little of it is actually newsworthy.  We have the perfect storm of politicians (from all parties) playing the 'game' of politics, seeking to get one up on the next guy or girl to elevate or retain their status, a mainstream media full of journalists who find reporting on the 'game' easy pickings, and a public who are absolutely obsessed with the scandal of it all.  In the grand scheme of things, probably 90% of the political news splashed across front pages is utterly irrelevant.  Honestly, who cares if Grant Shapps writes an angry letter to Kier Starmer?  It's meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but so often, this sort of thing takes the limelight away from genuinely newsworthy items.

Unfortunately, the public, the media and even the politicians are too quick to jump on ANY topic and link it back to politics and start another round of finger pointing and blame.  This forum is no exception.

11 minutes ago, nnfox said:

The thing with politics in the news is that very little of it is actually newsworthy.  We have the perfect storm of politicians (from all parties) playing the 'game' of politics, seeking to get one up on the next guy or girl to elevate or retain their status, a mainstream media full of journalists who find reporting on the 'game' easy pickings, and a public who are absolutely obsessed with the scandal of it all.  In the grand scheme of things, probably 90% of the political news splashed across front pages is utterly irrelevant.  Honestly, who cares if Grant Shapps writes an angry letter to Kier Starmer?  It's meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but so often, this sort of thing takes the limelight away from genuinely newsworthy items.

Unfortunately, the public, the media and even the politicians are too quick to jump on ANY topic and link it back to politics and start another round of finger pointing and blame.  This forum is no exception.

And all the time, massive things are either being missed or not being shown nearly enough attention.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, nnfox said:

You'd hope taxpayers would, given it's a ridiculous waste of government time and money.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Just puts into perspective the scale of embezzlement from the Tories.

It's apt that the firm used for the barges also made slave ships back in the day.

You simply have to laugh, eh. It’s too mad for words. 

29 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

It's apt that the firm used for the barges also made slave ships back in the day.

It just shows, it's time that the cabinet ministers stopped negotiating all these contracts themselves and got the Civil Service involved.  If only they had half a million or so employees to help out, 

I think this shows more how incompetent the Civil Service as a whole is, to allow this sort of waste.  HS2 is another example - they're expecting to pay about 8 times the cost per mile of what France pays for its high speed rail.  And I don't expect that cost will immediately drop by 7/8ths when Starmer gets in.

As for it being apt that the migrant shipbuilder used to build slave ships - it's isn't apt.  It is totally irrelevant.  It's as irrelevant as if I point out that Marina Purkiss is descended from people who owned or dealt in slaves, which she certainly is.

35 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

All about pleasing the racists... couple of years ago the conservatives in Oz, spent 185 Million dollars to ropen a detention centre on Xmas island... only to close it 6 weeks later without it taking a SINGLE refugee... the photo op was worth it for the criminals

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

It just shows, it's time that the cabinet ministers stopped negotiating all these contracts themselves and got the Civil Service involved.  If only they had half a million or so employees to help out, 

I think this shows more how incompetent the Civil Service as a whole is, to allow this sort of waste.  HS2 is another example - they're expecting to pay about 8 times the cost per mile of what France pays for its high speed rail.  And I don't expect that cost will immediately drop by 7/8ths when Starmer gets in.

I think the Civil Service should have been involved, but I blame the Civil Service.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I think the Civil Service should have been involved, but I blame the Civil Service.

Sorry, I should remember to post a smiley when I use irony.  My point was that the deal wouldn't have been negotiated by a single cabinet minister, there would be senior civil servants involved, and they should not have sign off (or advise the minister to sign off) on a ridiculously expensive deal.  

Marina Purkiss hasn't quoted who was given the contract, so presumably it wasn't a minister or his family.

5 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Sorry, I should remember to post a smiley when I use irony.  My point was that the deal wouldn't have been negotiated by a single cabinet minister, there would be senior civil servants involved, and they should not have sign off (or advise the minister to sign off) on a ridiculously expensive deal.  

Marina Purkiss hasn't quoted who was given the contract, so presumably it wasn't a minister or his family.

Fair enough - it wasn't all that obvious to me, which may be my fault.

However, the business of blaming anyone but the govt seems to be a consistent pattern to some people.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Fair enough - it wasn't all that obvious to me, which may be my fault.

However, the business of blaming anyone but the govt seems to be a consistent pattern to some people.

As does the concept of blaming the government for everything!  ;)