Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

7 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

This is the type of viewing I hate to see. By all means make a stand, but someone is going to get hurt/die by them blocking these roads. 

There must be a particular sort of arrogance on the protesters part.

1 minute ago, urban.spaceman said:

We are literally in this mess because Corbyn lost to the ****ing Tories twice.

I think Corbyn is right on a lot of issues, especially social issues but his response to Ben Wallace this week re Russia shows that he was not the right person to lead a country. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

This is the type of viewing I hate to see. By all means make a stand, but someone is going to get hurt/die by them blocking these roads. 

Not to mention not getting their Asda home delivery on time.

BTW I agree with you.

They've apparently said they'll let emergency vehicles on blue lights through. Great, but first those vehicles will inevitably be delayed by trying to get through the queue of traffic caused by the protesters. Not an easy thing to do on urban streets.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

What sort of cars do you and your mates drive? I'm speaking largely from a position of ignorance but it's older diesels (most pre 2016 I believe) that are the problem. My 14 year old, CO2 blasting nightmare petrol car that I've only just got rid of would be exempt.

I can understand why small business owners, driving around their knackered old vans, would be up in arms but I'm intrigued as to who actually gets hit by this in practice. I think 9 out of 10 missing it seems overly optimistic and if that's the case I don't see why it would be so contentious politically

Quick tally up from my lot - a 2015 Range Rover Sport, a Freelander, a 2009 Disco and a Vogue (newish, but he said it’s not compliant (?). A diesel Beamer estate thing and a Merc. 
All families, most are second cars. 

Also a mini that is 4 years away from being a classic/exempt (which is another stupid thing - why are old, knackered, belchy cars exempt)?
And a Caterham 7 that is tricky to tell if it’s compliant (initially was/now isn’t). 

Business van owners will still be driving around but just passing the cost on to their customers. 

My freelance staff have said they will be charging me for it. 
(Bearing in mind I’m an electric car driving, non-meat eating fvckn eco warrior)!! 

Most round here are just trying to work out routes to circumnavigate the cameras. 

The £180 fine for a £12.50 PCN is criminal. I’ve looked to see where the fines go, but I can’t seem to find out. They say that the charges go back into the happy clappy pot, but I can’t see where it says what they do with the hundreds of millions of pounds raised in fines. 

The principal of cleaner vehicles equalling cleaner air is obviously sound. 

But blanket taxation and not providing adequate, clean public transport as an alternative is just plain cvntish. 

Khan doesn’t help himself by being an absolute chancer, clearly over promoted and about a million miles out of his fvcking depth. 

In summary, I’m not a fan of the whole thing

23 minutes ago, Milo said:

Quick tally up from my lot - a 2015 Range Rover Sport, a Freelander, a 2009 Disco and a Vogue (newish, but he said it’s not compliant (?). A diesel Beamer estate thing and a Merc. 

Also a mini that is 4 years away from being a classic/exempt (which is another stupid thing - why are old, knackered, belchy cars exempt)?
And a Caterham 7 that is tricky to tell if it’s compliant (initially was/now isn’t). 

Business van owners will still be driving around but just passing the cost on to their customers. 

(Bearing in mind I’m an electric car driving, non-meat eating fvckn eco warrior)!! 

Most round here are just trying to work out routes to circumnavigate the cameras. 

The £180 fine for a £12.50 PCN is criminal. I’ve looked to see where the fines go, but I can’t seem to find out. They say that the charges go back into the happy clappy pot, but I can’t see where it says what they do with the hundreds of millions of pounds raised in fines. 

But blanket taxation and not providing adequate, clean public transport as an alternative is just plain cvntish. 

Khan doesn’t help himself by being an absolute chancer, clearly over promoted and about a million miles out of his fvcking depth. 

I see others mention that Ulez was a Boris Johnson initiative and that Grant Shapps made it a condition before TFL granted funds during covid

I think most people miss the point that ULEZ is forced upon Londoners by the Tory government.

Khan has to have it otherwise vital funding for public transport would be held back.

It's mental that most miss this point and then go on a rant about khan and money making schemes and sometimes racist rants.

Not to mention that the government has consistently lied about who bought in ULEZ (it's was Boris Johnson) and who ensures it's expansion (it's the Tories).

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Foxdiamond said:

I'm sure the mother would understand this argument 

5 hours ago, Milo said:

This is the key thing, really. Speaking personally, I'm thinking pretty dramatic measures are warranted to preserve life and health, but at the same time if you're going to limit transportation that affects peoples day to day lives, you do need to supply an alternative that works for them.

8 hours ago, Foxdiamond said:

I'm sure the mother would understand this argument 

Of course she wouldn't, because of the way humans think. That doesn't detract from the overall matter, however.

7 hours ago, Lionator said:

All of their protests are such virtue signally nonsense, especially the sports events. Tie yourselves up to petrol stations/canary wharf. Do something a bit more impactful. 

See the JSO thread, if they did something truly impactful, that would likely be classified as "terrorism".

8 hours ago, oxford blue said:

True, it would be  an involved debate. However,  on that basis, all cars should be banned everywhere. Even electric vehicles emit particulate as tyres wear. As generally heavier, EV's likely to be greater for tyre particulates than petrol/diesel cars.

There may be some merit in ULEZ in central cities, but this expansion includes normal residential roads.

If, for example, you were getting the underground from Hillingdon Underground to Wembley (play-offs if not automatically promoted:)  ) you may have to travel less than a mile within zone, but unless your caris  exempt that is £12.50 

Hmmm...I think a pretty solid argument could be made that banning such transportation without an alternative in place would result in more death and suffering than the alternative. The idea is lowering and gradual phaseout.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-66275913

"British indie band The 1975 have cut short a gig in Malaysia, claiming officials ordered them off stage for breaching the country's anti-LGBT laws.

The incident occurred as the band were headlining the Good Vibes Festival in the capital Kuala Lumper on Friday.

During the set, singer Matty Healy launched a lengthy attack on the country's anti-LGBT laws, before kissing bass player Ross MacDonald."

Good for them.

11 hours ago, Milo said:

I've got a mate in London who was driving a Disco last time I saw him because it's got seven seats and he's got four kids so I can understand that.

If only the clock could be turned back and we could stop the proliferation of massive cars in urban areas, then perhaps the authorities wouldn't have felt the need to put something in place that's seen as so draconian by so many 

1 minute ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Byline Times going all in on Dan Wootton.

In response he's labelled them a 'hard left blog' and is crowdfunding for legal fees

I'm enjoying their bit by bit reveals of his disgusting behaviour. He's a vile human. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

Sorry but if my baby needed to go hospital I'm flooring it and deal with it afterwards.

Same. Shows how heartless they are when none of them even bat an eyelid when she approaches them and tells them about it. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Same. Shows how heartless they are when none of them even bat an eyelid when she approaches them and tells them about it. 

Correct. I'm all for helping the climate crisis anywhere possible but targeting Joe bloggs on the street isn't right.

They're brainwashed with the climate issue and devoid of human consciousness.

• Like 3