Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

1 hour ago, dsr-burnley said:

This is the worry.  To a whole lot of people, possibly including yourself, supporting Brexit and Donald Trump appears as fascism.  It is not.

You can't stop fascism by burning books and banning freedom of opinion.  This should be obvious.

...I wonder what anyone in the vicinity of the Capitol Building in Washington DC on January 6th 2021 would think of that?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

For once, I doubt there's any truth in the allegation that Johnson lied. It's possible that he got especially careful treatment due to being PM, but that would likely have been the case for any PM. As a bloke primarily motivated by his narcissistic ego, who fantasises that he's a new Churchill, I doubt he'd have chosen to be in hospital during a national crisis.

But getting potential Tory voters jeering at dubious anti-Tory allegations

1 hour ago, dsr-burnley said:

If you say that you doubt that Johnson lied about being in hospital and that the claims that he lied are dubious, then you are saying that it's a possibility.  And you are also saying that Jenny McGee from Invercargill may be a liar, and presumably that Luis Pitarma may be a liar, and surely the fact that you hate Boris Johnson is not enough to proclaim these two nurses as potential liars?

Or put another way, the suggestion that Johnson wasn't in hospital is as likely as the suggestion that Elvis was in the next bed.  I don't know why you would give it house room.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/13/new-zealand-nhs-nurse-blown-away-boris-johnson-thanks-jenny-mcgee

Well, that's a bizarre interpretation of my words.

When I said that "I doubt" the allegation and described it as "dubious", it was deliberate understatement. I think that intention is clear both from the words you quote and from those you don't. If you need it spelt out with less subtlety, I meant that I disbelieved the allegation against Johnson, despite him being a habitual liar. But my main point was to suggest an answer to Bellend Sebastian's rhetorical question about the motives of the MoS (though I drifted into linked issues, as usual).

I said nothing about the two nurses and have no reason to doubt them, so please stop fabricating words to put into my mouth. I wasn't even aware of any allegation that Johnson wasn't in hospital, so are you even fabricating things that weren't in the (almost certainly false) allegation made? The allegation being that he'd exaggerated how ill he'd been, as I understand it?

How's your joint tour with Elvis going? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Greg2607 said:

well this is relatively alarming isn't it. 

essentially, the sea ice in the antarctic, is now so low, in comparison to historical norms, that it is a 1-in a 1 billion year event.... 

image.png.92cb7b1b12fa2616461b9b2d00e1db69.png

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

It not really possible to tell over such a short period of data whether this is significant or not.  It is certainly an outlier in the period.

Of course it's not a certainty unless such an anomaly is confirmed by future readings, but combined with all the other information we have, it seems likely that some critical area has been breached, and we're seeing changes that are going to occur faster than predicted. Which obviously isn't good.

1 hour ago, Line-X said:

And yet depressingly, according to last week's poll, there are 27 members of this forum that think this is "just nature". 

Or the 10 that think it isn't happening at all and it's "just summer".

I guess the cold comfort will come from (hopefully) everyone involved sticking around long enough to realise just how wrong they were and get a look at their faces before everything becomes very problematic.

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Well Donald Trump is a fascist. 

Supporting Donald Trump is supporting fascism, so yes. 

That's not using "fascism" or "fascist" as slurs to childishly describe something I don't like, that's actually the correct descriptor for the politics and philosophy of Donald Trump. 

Right.

To add to the above, I'm pretty sure Heather Heyer (were she still alive) and a fair amount of the citizenry of Charlottesville would agree, too, given what happened there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

Well, that's a bizarre interpretation of my words.

When I said that "I doubt" the allegation and described it as "dubious", it was deliberate understatement. I think that intention is clear both from the words you quote and from those you don't. If you need it spelt out with less subtlety, I meant that I disbelieved the allegation against Johnson, despite him being a habitual liar. But my main point was to suggest an answer to Bellend Sebastian's rhetorical question about the motives of the MoS (though I drifted into linked issues, as usual).

I said nothing about the two nurses and have no reason to doubt them, so please stop fabricating words to put into my mouth. I wasn't even aware of any allegation that Johnson wasn't in hospital, so are you even fabricating things that weren't in the (almost certainly false) allegation made? The allegation being that he'd exaggerated how ill he'd been, as I understand it?

How's your joint tour with Elvis going? 

The allegation was that he wasn't gravely ill, so I suppose that could mean that he was in hospital but faking it and the nurses in intensive care didn't notice.  I assumed it to mean that he wasn't in hospital at all.

Either way, to call the allegation "dubious" is to imply doubt.  I don't think there is doubt about this allegation, I think it's a certain lie.  We can agree to differ.

(The point about the nurses is that if Boris was lying, then so were they - or at least were unprofessional and incompetent.  When conspiracy theories are being bandied, everyone who must have been involved in the conspiracy is being accused as well. If you have no reason to doubt the nurses, then you have no reason to doubt Boris Johnson - not on this issue, anyway.)

I left out the Mail on Sunday bit because I have nothing to add or subtract to it!  ;)

41 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

The allegation was that he wasn't gravely ill, so I suppose that could mean that he was in hospital but faking it and the nurses in intensive care didn't notice.  I assumed it to mean that he wasn't in hospital at all.

Either way, to call the allegation "dubious" is to imply doubt.  I don't think there is doubt about this allegation, I think it's a certain lie.  We can agree to differ.

(The point about the nurses is that if Boris was lying, then so were they - or at least were unprofessional and incompetent.  When conspiracy theories are being bandied, everyone who must have been involved in the conspiracy is being accused as well. If you have no reason to doubt the nurses, then you have no reason to doubt Boris Johnson - not on this issue, anyway.)

I left out the Mail on Sunday bit because I have nothing to add or subtract to it!  ;)

It's surprising that you left out the Mail on Sunday bit as that was the focus of the original post and of my reply to it. More interesting than some artificially-created argument about BJ, in my view.

I understood the logic behind you mentioning the nurses, but that logic would only apply if I'd been taking this allegation against Johnson seriously. I was not and felt that I made that clear in my initial post. In case of misunderstanding, I then explained my use of "dubious" and "doubt" as deliberate understatement and clarified that "I disbelieved the allegation". In response you ignore my explanation, double down on your false interpretation of my words and say "we can agree to differ"....

If I said "I'm doubtful about the allegation that Vardy is set to join Burnley.....I'm dubious that he can still be a top PL goalscorer.... I disbelieve the suggestion that he'll lead Burnley to the PL title".... presumably you'd feel that I was implying doubt and suggesting a distinct possibility these claims were true?

We might disagree on many things, but I've never got the impression that you were thick, so I assume that you are deliberately creating pointless arguments: i.e. trolling. So, after this, I'll leave the issue. Love to Elvis. ;)

• Like 1

Just now, Izzy said:

Politics. Always politics.

Mhm. 

And then two minutes later: waaah, waaah, Mark, let us talk about politics it'll be fine Mark nobody will argue why are you being such a fascist* Mark boohoo omg why was I banned all I did was call Mark a fascist and imply he's a raging Tory wth. 

(*see, that's how you use the word fascist erroneously.) 

7 minutes ago, Milo said:

Why has this thread gone all narky? 

:huh:

Attaching a label to those who follow a certain former US President and were responsible for certain events in Charlottesville and Washington DC that resulted in bad things happening is contentious, apparently. Who knew.

Apropros of nothing, I'd be interested to see what you make of my and @Lionator responses to you in the climate change thread. Seems to be rather less contentiousness there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Well Donald Trump is a fascist. 

Supporting Donald Trump is supporting fascism, so yes. 

That's not using "fascism" or "fascist" as slurs to childishly describe something I don't like, that's actually the correct descriptor for the politics and philosophy of Donald Trump. 

Do you know the definition of fascist?

If so,do you see it anywhere else, other than the particular person you hate?

I see Nigel Farage has seen off the CEO of Natwest, and is now calling for the entire board to resign.  I mean as general consensus says he is a nobody this is quite impressive.  A brilliant career apparently ended by a moment of misjudgment is rather a shame, but no doubt she walks away with many millions settlement so I am sure that will entitle her to maintain an account with Coutts.  

Just now, Bordersfox said:

Going to be interesting to see how this one plays out:

Screenshot_2023-07-26-09-42-39-097-edit_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.b34489e74df95c86f826a7970ece3f32.jpg

The charge sheet alleges he routinely enriched his associates for decades by tipping them off on deals he was aware of.  Nice work if you can get it, but sadly completely illegal.  I wonder if they will get him anywhere near a courtroom.

1 minute ago, Jon the Hat said:

The charge sheet alleges he routinely enriched his associates for decades by tipping them off on deals he was aware of.  Nice work if you can get it, but sadly completely illegal.  I wonder if they will get him anywhere near a courtroom.

Yes I did wonder if he needs a new PA, I could do with the money! 

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

Nothing will happen to him.

Don't even be surprised when all charges will be "dropped"

4 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Why would it?

He's wealthy. There are no real laws for the wealthy.

Yep and us mere mortals just stand there and shrug our shoulders whilst getting shafted!