Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

51 minutes ago, nnfox said:

I'm not sure it's even about making bank, with things like this, I think it's often a narcissistic personality driving the stunts to get their name out there.  Money is secondary to fame (or infamy).

Yep, either way it adds up to power over people, which is what they want. That's the narcissism at work.

48 minutes ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

I think both points highlight what’s wrong with the world these days, either way there’s no thought for other people involved. Shit I’ve only just turned 30

and sound like my grandparents!

36 minutes ago, nnfox said:

I wouldn't get so caught up in the negativity of it all.   The overwhelming proportion of people are good people, but the media (which is too often our window to the world) make payroll by concentrating on the small percentage of bad, or at least, mis-guided people.  It's very easy to get a skewed version of reality.

Good points both.

I think that's something of a judgement on the people who supply that "news" because they know it will sell, and the people who consume it rather than stories about "better" people, though.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-66407392

UK scouts are leaving an international event in South Korea that has been hit by extreme heat.  Hundreds have fallen ill at the outdoor World Scout Jamboree, which is attended by more than 40,000 young people from around the world, amid 35C (95F) heat. 

The British group of more than 4,000, the largest in attendance, is moving from Saemangeum to Seoul, the Scout Association confirmed. 

The US and Singaporean teams are also pulling their scouts out of the event.

What a mess.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-66407392

UK scouts are leaving an international event in South Korea that has been hit by extreme heat.  Hundreds have fallen ill at the outdoor World Scout Jamboree, which is attended by more than 40,000 young people from around the world, amid 35C (95F) heat. 

The British group of more than 4,000, the largest in attendance, is moving from Saemangeum to Seoul, the Scout Association confirmed. 

The US and Singaporean teams are also pulling their scouts out of the event.

What a mess.

It is.  A friend of ours has their 15 year old son over there as part of this jamboree.  Apart from the absolute mess that it's turned into, it's such a shame because we saw how much dedication he put into all the fund raising events that he helped organise and run.  Months and months of volunteering to get there.

• Sad 1

On 05/08/2023 at 07:41, nnfox said:

I wouldn't get so caught up in the negativity of it all.   The overwhelming proportion of people are good people, but the media (which is too often our window to the world) make payroll by concentrating on the small percentage of bad, or at least, mis-guided people.  It's very easy to get a skewed version of reality.

For sure most people are good people and this was possibly just a massive misjudgement by a "youtuber". However the bigger problem is that these YouTubers and social media influencers have no moderating influences. They are not part of a production company nor have a team of "pen pushers" to regulate and curb some of their exuberance and excesses and make sure that stuff like this doesn't happen. 

The lawlessness of YouTube and social media is brilliantly freeing for contributors but it does inevitably lead to kids with no real life experience doing or saying something that causes this kind of chaos.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

How so?

This barge idea could tempt even more migrants to come in, in thinking they'll have free accommodation - like with those having places on the barge.

3 hours ago, Captain... said:

For sure most people are good people and this was possibly just a massive misjudgement by a "youtuber". However the bigger problem is that these YouTubers and social media influencers have no moderating influences. They are not part of a production company nor have a team of "pen pushers" to regulate and curb some of their exuberance and excesses and make sure that stuff like this doesn't happen. 

The lawlessness of YouTube and social media is brilliantly freeing for contributors but it does inevitably lead to kids with no real life experience doing or saying something that causes this kind of chaos.

I agree to an extent, but youtubers thrive on freedom.  They don't want or need professional production teams in the traditional sense.  Most will form a production company with their mates, so then it boils down to the quality of your mates.  Some are interested in the technology and wider industry, take it seriously and become competent professionals.  Others just like hanging out and are there for the ride.

Personally, with some exceptions, I would replace "exuberance and excesses" with "recklessness".

3 minutes ago, Bordersfox said:

Glad to see common sense has prevailed and the prison living costs rule has been scrapped.  Clearly Sunak follows this thread.

They’re just worried it might impact them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Zear0 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-66415545

One of those headlines where I had to check it wasn't April 1st.

"I hope the incident hasn't deterred him from returning to the east coast, and particularly Skegness," he added.

It's taken a lot less than a near death experience from a moose antler to put me off ever going back to Skegness.

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Parafox said:

"I hope the incident hasn't deterred him from returning to the east coast, and particularly Skegness," he added.

It's taken a lot less than a near death experience from a moose antler to put me off ever going back to Skegness.

You won't be putting any money into my colleague's exciting investment opportunity then, which is buying a static caravan at Skegness Butlins

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

You won't be putting any money into my colleague's exciting investment opportunity then, which is buying a static caravan at Skegness Butlins

Does it include a kiss me quick hat and a lifetime supply of soggy, greasy chips and Slush?

18 hours ago, fox_up_north said:

I've been for a night out in Skegness.

I was home by 9.

One club wouldn't let us in as we were four lads. We went in the other club - making the total number inside 7, one was the bloke behind the bar and another was the DJ. Besides the New Year's Eve I spent in a broken down train near Tilbury Docks, it was the worst night out I've ever had.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Fox in the North said:

Nothing suspicious at all to see here…

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-66434719.amp

3 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Thought insurance job straightaway.

The council are scrutinising the permission to demolish, ASFAIK.

My conspiracy theory is, demolish it before fire investigation can take place.

• Like 1