Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

43 minutes ago, RoboFox said:

Imagine if some teenage tearaway decided to pour petrol through the letterbox for a laugh and burn it down? That would likely be classed as category 1 arson, for which sentences start at four years. These pricks have not only done exactly that, but for the purposes of profit, yet I bet that they would receive nothing of the sort. 

Good old white-collar crime.

Exactly.

And then somehow some people wonder about why there are (and get unjustifiably ornery at) acts of "vigilante justice" against such people.

1 minute ago, Lionator said:

Literally every problem in this country can be traced back to lack of appropriate housing. It's appalling that it's got to this stage.

There's still this under current too that people who struggle with housing haven't worked hard enough.

Too much vested interest as well

• Like 2

On 11/08/2023 at 13:40, Lionator said:

Literally every problem in this country can be traced back to lack of appropriate housing. It's appalling that it's got to this stage.

There's still this under current too that people who struggle with housing haven't worked hard enough.

I was genuinely shocked when the lad told me what he’s paying for a room in Nottingham…and how many landlords either wouldn’t take the three of them or how they were gazumped on places they expressed interest in. Really shitty situation at the moment. Every bottom of the range house in our village gets sold within a day as the agents have relationships with London based landlords - elongating affordable homes from a swathe of the market, and I’m guessing it goes on all over. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Daggers said:

I was genuinely shocked when the lad told me what he’s paying for a room in Nottingham…and how many landlords either wouldn’t take the three of them or how they were gazumped on places they expressed interest in. Really shitty situation at the moment. Every bottom of the range house in our village gets sold within a day as the agents have relationships with London based landlords - elongating affordable homes from a swathe of the market, and I’m guessing it goes on all over. 

I rent in Nottingham centre and it's £630 a month (£1260) for a two bedroom flat in a fairly nice area. By the time bills come in I'm looking at around £850 a month currently. I have a good job for someone of my age yet I'm struggling to save. My girlfriend is on around £30k and lives in a houseshare in a grimy house and she is living month by month. And that's with no holiday this year either and no car to run, she also rarely drinks. The chance of us buying a house anytime soon are practically zero as we have no inheritance/rich parents. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lionator said:

I rent in Nottingham centre and it's £630 a month (£1260) for a two bedroom flat in a fairly nice area. By the time bills come in I'm looking at around £850 a month currently. I have a good job for someone of my age yet I'm struggling to save. My girlfriend is on around £30k and lives in a houseshare in a grimy house and she is living month by month. And that's with no holiday this year either and no car to run, she also rarely drinks. The chance of us buying a house anytime soon are practically zero as we have no inheritance/rich parents. 

That’s what he’s paying for a room in Sneinton

On 11/08/2023 at 13:40, Lionator said:

On 11/08/2023 at 13:42, Foxdiamond said:

Too much vested interest as well

There is a certain political party that should be waking up to this major crisis and going in hard on the side that this certain political party was invented for.It won’t do a damn thing of any significance.

12 hours ago, Lionator said:

Move her in!

Is there a housing development which doesn't end up in court these days for being terrible for some newts or something?  Much as I care about the natural environment, a bit of sensible design should be required and then get on with it.  The problem is everyone like to moan about this and then doesn't want the new houses near them.  Especially I think in pretty villages.

16 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Is there a housing development which doesn't end up in court these days for being terrible for some newts or something?  Much as I care about the natural environment, a bit of sensible design should be required and then get on with it.  The problem is everyone like to moan about this and then doesn't want the new houses near them.  Especially I think in pretty villages.

NIMBYism is a curse, yes.

However, I'm sure it is possible to build more on places that aren't of so much natural significance, or make better use of the space we have. They do that well over here with much bigger population density, after all.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

There is a certain political party that should be waking up to this major crisis and going in hard on the side that this certain political party was invented for.It won’t do a damn thing of any significance.

I share your frustration 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Guardian article link alert:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/aug/13/brexit-brain-science-psychology-divided-uk-debate

This is most definitely NOT about the rights and wrongs of Brexit, but is very much about how our brains work and the problems that polarisation causes

Cognitive dissonance on matters of discovered and proven fact is not only a pain in the arse to deal with, but when made into political policy, actively dangerous and harmful.

On 11/08/2023 at 20:40, Lionator said:

Every problem can be traced back to neo capitalism... until the 60/70s corporations believed that ensuring their staff were appropriately supported and could live a reasonable life on their wage. 

Enter Thatcher, Reagan and corrupt business practices (Jack Welch, Friedman and the Chicago School etc), corporations put shareholders ahead of people. 

• Like 2