Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-66515140

Andrea González now wears a bulletproof vest 24 hours a day. 

A week ago, her Construye party's presidential candidate in the Ecuadorean election this Sunday, Fernando Villavicencio, was shot three times in the head after a campaign rally in the capital, Quito. 

Ms González, 36, will remain the party's candidate for vice-president, as the running mate of Christian Zurita.

He is a journalist who has investigated corruption - as Fernando Villavicencio had.  "I'm not letting Fernando's legacy die," Ms González told the BBC's Newshour programme.  "To me it's incredibly personal and hard to not be able to say goodbye to my friend. I'm wearing a bulletproof vest 24 hours [a day]," she said.

I know the UK has had members of parliament murdered in recent times, but this just seems like a different world entirely.

6 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Another thing which strikes me as shocking in this case when I read it is this bit:  was jailed for life with a minimum term of seven years, but he served a further 10 for maintaining his innocence.

What the actual ****? So if you are found guilty and admit it, you get out in 7 years, but if you are found guilty and maintain your innocence you serve 17 years?  Insane.

The entire justice system after conviction is designed to make miscarriages very, very difficult to be uncovered and rectified, and this is part of that.  Designed is perhaps too strong a word.  But you get what I mean.  Go on just admit and you're a free man, but you'll never be able to challenge us again.  

It's logical in a horrible sort of way, it's an institution protecting itself, projecting infallibility.  Casting doubt on one conviction raises doubts about the whole system. But it's not right, obviously. 

Surely it's better to say we get it right most of the time but there are some cases where mistakes are made and, where they are, we will acknowledge that as quickly and efficiently as possible. We will investigate and listen to compelling new evidence.  The police don't help in cases like this either.  Nobody expects perfection but we should expect convictions that are pretty obviously unsafe to be dealt with fairly and quickly. 

Instead there seems to be prevarication and further punishment for the innocent party.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

This Captain Tom woman. 

I couldn't stand her from the off. She always appeared to be enjoying her tenuous link to fame - and enjoying Stalinist COVID restrictions - far far too much. (And, frankly, well meaning Captain Tom himself was as boring af anyway. Cheering up the nation? Lol) 

First building herself a spa and now fingers in till. Awful woman.

I love this interview with the daughter, with the totally-not-dodgy final paragraph

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-66508840

Very disappointing but not surprising the amount of people who can't leave their phones alone while driving. The image of the driver texting and the passenger holding the steering wheel is just mental. If the message is that important get the passenger to write it.

Phones really are a curse as well as blessing.

What's more surprising is the amount of seatbelt offences. Seriously who the fvck doesn't just put their seatbelt on out of habit.

Personally I'm all for mobile AI cameras to target traffic offenders.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Captain... said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cornwall-66508840

Very disappointing but not surprising the amount of people who can't leave their phones alone while driving. The image of the driver texting and the passenger holding the steering wheel is just mental. If the message is that important get the passenger to write it.

Phones really are a curse as well as blessing.

What's more surprising is the amount of seatbelt offences. Seriously who the fvck doesn't just put their seatbelt on out of habit.

Personally I'm all for mobile AI cameras to target traffic offenders.

I think what is annoying is they put them at lights where you sit with your car in park and handbrake on, which means sod all risk to anyone if you check your phone.

On 16/08/2023 at 12:39, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-66515140

Andrea González now wears a bulletproof vest 24 hours a day. 

A week ago, her Construye party's presidential candidate in the Ecuadorean election this Sunday, Fernando Villavicencio, was shot three times in the head after a campaign rally in the capital, Quito. 

Ms González, 36, will remain the party's candidate for vice-president, as the running mate of Christian Zurita.

He is a journalist who has investigated corruption - as Fernando Villavicencio had.  "I'm not letting Fernando's legacy die," Ms González told the BBC's Newshour programme.  "To me it's incredibly personal and hard to not be able to say goodbye to my friend. I'm wearing a bulletproof vest 24 hours [a day]," she said.

I know the UK has had members of parliament murdered in recent times, but this just seems like a different world entirely.

Threaten the stability of crime syndicates in Ecuador and they'll assassinate you.

Threaten the ability of crime syndicates in the UK and they'll target your wage, make your living conditions worse, and take your pension.

• Like 2

On 16/08/2023 at 15:48, bovril said:

I love this interview with the daughter, with the totally-not-dodgy final paragraph

Love this tweet that's been uncovered in which she reveals they had the poor old sod cooking their Sunday roasts for them at 93 lol

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

Love this tweet that's been uncovered in which she reveals they had the poor old sod cooking their Sunday roasts for them at 93 lol

My grandmother still cooked Friday tea for me at that age.  You don't automatically become incapable and useless at age 93 or at any other age, and at least some old people want to carry on contributing to family life.

4 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

My grandmother still cooked Friday tea for me at that age.  You don't automatically become incapable and useless at age 93 or at any other age, and at least some old people want to carry on contributing to family life.

Oh grow up you absolute victim, I didn't suggest anything of the sort.

• Haha 3

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-66180606

Summary

1. Nurse Lucy Letby has been found guilty of murdering seven babies who were being looked after on a neo-natal ward
  2. The murders happened at the Countess of Chester Hospital between June 2015 and June 2016
  3. Letby is the UK's most prolific killer of babies in modern times
  4. She has also been found guilty of attempting to murder another six babies
  5. The jury was undecided on the attempted murder of a further four babies
  6. The 33-year-old, originally from Hereford, denied all 22 charges against her - blaming the deaths on hospital hygiene and staffing levels
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Summary

1. Nurse Lucy Letby has been found guilty of murdering seven babies who were being looked after on a neo-natal ward
  2. The murders happened at the Countess of Chester Hospital between June 2015 and June 2016
  6. The 33-year-old, originally from Hereford, denied all 22 charges against her - blaming the deaths on hospital hygiene and staffing levels

Evil CVNT. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Summary

Chilling, horrific almost impossible to fathom

9 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I think what is annoying is they put them at lights where you sit with your car in park and handbrake on, which means sod all risk to anyone if you check your phone.

But you know it is wrong. You wouldn't do it on your test knowing it would be a fail

• Like 2

quite tough to listen to the details.

But it seems colleagues had concerns and raised these to the hospital trust but they were ignored.

Imagine having your baby die in hospital and having to deal with all the associated grief and then being told a few years later that they had been killed by a nurse whose job it was to look after them.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Summary

Took ages. I first posted about this, must have been years ago now.

Absoloutely horrific all the way through. Those poor families.

12 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66542193

Officials in the US state of Georgia are investigating online threats made against members of the grand jury that indicted Donald Trump on Monday.

Nothing speaks innocence like not-inciting-but-yes-really-inciting followers into criminal jury intimidation.

They threatened to kill the judge as well.