Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

1 hour ago, Daggers said:

Australians - what the fvck are the arguments for “No” other than “I’m a screaming racist so I’m voting No”?

Well there are the people who think it goes too far in giving one group favoured status in the constitution.  And there is another group who think it doesn’t go nearly far enough and is pointless.  A third group are concerned there is zero detail on what it will actually look like, as the referendum is very light on detail and they won’t vote yes without concrete proposals.  Then you’ve got those who can’t see past the problems the aboriginal people they see in front of them demonstrate, and don’t think they deserve it.  Which is verging on your mentioned group.  Some people are fed up with being welcomed to their own country at every public and many private events and are pushing back.  So many reasons I would say, none of which in my view are enough to justify not doing something to improve the outcomes for a much maligned minority.

• Like 2

I'm starting get bored seeing "Ex" Prince Harry moaning about something new. Lives the life of luxury and still not happy. I get he wanted a quiet life, but why not sit quiet and do no interviews and just chill where ever. Seems like when he quit the royal family, he thought he could still live in the states receiving the money and benefits of the royal family... sadly for him. It didn't work like that, instead he decided's to sell the dirt to pay his lifestyle in the states. 

Just now, Leicesterpool said:

I'm starting get bored seeing "Ex" Prince Harry moaning about something new. Lives the life of luxury and still not happy. I get he wanted a quiet life, but why not sit quiet and do no interviews and just chill where ever. Seems like when he quit the royal family, he thought he could still live in the states receiving the money and benefits of the royal family... sadly for him. It didn't work like that, instead he decided's to sell the dirt to pay his lifestyle in the states. 

He is extremely thick and incredibly out of touch, a very bad combination. 

• Like 1

His Mrs being an actress knows how to dramatize things to commercialize on it. Go through the bad things that happened and add more detail to it. As much as I don't like the royals convinced nearly 65% things claimed to have happened are just made up.

1 hour ago, Leicesterpool said:

1 hour ago, Leicesterpool said:

His Mrs being an actress knows how to dramatize things to commercialize on it. Go through the bad things that happened and add more detail to it. As much as I don't like the royals convinced nearly 65% things claimed to have happened are just made up.

I'm surprised you're just starting. The quiet life was b0ll0cks, what they wanted was to live their glam royal type life whilst selling stories, thinking they could profit from and control the media. And that 65% seems way too low!

1 hour ago, bovril said:

Think being with Megan has made him worse and more out of touch in some ways, imo.

Edited by Wymsey

1 hour ago, bovril said:

I think this is exactly it. We always knew he wasn't the brightest, but now he's out on his own it's become clear he's more stupid than we all realised. 

He moans a lot about the Royal Family but seems unaware of all the privileges he got. He's really proud of his military career. But the only reasons he got the grades to be an officer is cause his teacher did his work for him. I remember reading about a teacher who revealed it. She got sacked and won an unfair dismissal case about it. Wasn't even a tough subject - it was Art.

1 minute ago, Guesty said:

I think this is exactly it. We always knew he wasn't the brightest, but now he's out on his own it's become clear he's more stupid than we all realised. 

He moans a lot about the Royal Family but seems unaware of all the privileges he got. He's really proud of his military career. But the only reasons he got the grades to be an officer is cause his teacher did his work for him. I remember reading about a teacher who revealed it. She got sacked and won an unfair dismissal case about it. Wasn't even a tough subject - it was Art.

He's been around two awful sets of people - the British ruling class, and Californians. Which is maybe why he's developed this very weird shtick of being extremely engaged in social justice causes and confronting unfair privilege while as you say also being totally unaware of his own immense privilege and inherited wealth.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Guesty said:

The problem with lying is that you have to remember what you've previously said. Dear Harry hasn't managed that very well....

img_2223-png.2414444

Edited by FoyleFox

29 minutes ago, FoyleFox said:

The problem with lying is that you have to remember what you've previously said. Dear Harry hasn't managed that very well....

img_2223-png.2414444

Wikipedia is a better, more reliable source that the Daily Hate.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Well there are the people who think it goes too far in giving one group favoured status in the constitution.  And there is another group who think it doesn’t go nearly far enough and is pointless.  A third group are concerned there is zero detail on what it will actually look like, as the referendum is very light on detail and they won’t vote yes without concrete proposals.  Then you’ve got those who can’t see past the problems the aboriginal people they see in front of them demonstrate, and don’t think they deserve it.  Which is verging on your mentioned group.  Some people are fed up with being welcomed to their own country at every public and many private events and are pushing back.  So many reasons I would say, none of which in my view are enough to justify not doing something to improve the outcomes for a much maligned minority.

I’d add a couple of things.

The conservative opposition (Liberal/Nationals coalition) are waging a highly disingenuous campaign against the Voice, having found a new “wedge” issue that they can use to sow division and gain some traction after being pretty much in the wilderness since they were turfed out over a year ago.

They have been able to do so in my view mostly because the government have made such a mess of the issue. Their refusal to spell out clearly how they expect it to work makes them look shifty and voters are wary that they’d be buying a “pig in a poke”. This is very much the line the No campaign are pushing, and it’s working. Their slogan is “If you aren’t sure what you’re voting for, vote no”.

I’m no expert on any of this having not really made much effort to acquaint myself with the issues. My instinct is to vote yes, but I don’t really know what a successful referendum will mean in practice or whether it will really benefit indigenous people. Perhaps it will be spelt out during the campaign. On the face of it there seems to be some confusion/opposition coming from indigenous communities.

Generally, I’d say the ALP government, after a good start, are settling quickly into a secretive arrogance that is starting to annoy. The recent decision to reject a proposal from Qatar Airways to double the number of flights into Australia in the face of ludicrously high air fares is an example that has me fuming.

I’d be interested in the views of other Aussies here.

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Generally, I’d say the ALP government, after a good start, are settling quickly into a secretive arrogance that is starting to annoy. The recent decision to reject a proposal from Qatar Airways to double the number of flights into Australia in the face of ludicrously high air fares is an example that has me fuming.

All valid points.  Completely agree on the flights thing.  Consumers crying out for lower fares.  Qantas fleet is aging and no orders in yet for new planes - they are scared they lose market share they never recover.

41 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

All valid points.  Completely agree on the flights thing.  Consumers crying out for lower fares.  Qantas fleet is aging and no orders in yet for new planes - they are scared they lose market share they never recover.

The minister concerned has been so evasive, I almost wonder if she’s on a promise from Quantas

51 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

The minister concerned has been so evasive, I almost wonder if she’s on a promise from Qantas

They are enjoying their Chairmans lounge and free upgrade comfort too much.  Qantas are pissing me off at the moment due to not running direct flights from Perth to Jakarta due to a dispute with Perth airport around space and investment.  Grrr.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I’d add a couple of things.

The conservative opposition (Liberal/Nationals coalition) are waging a highly disingenuous campaign against the Voice, having found a new “wedge” issue that they can use to sow division and gain some traction after being pretty much in the wilderness since they were turfed out over a year ago.

They have been able to do so in my view mostly because the government have made such a mess of the issue. Their refusal to spell out clearly how they expect it to work makes them look shifty and voters are wary that they’d be buying a “pig in a poke”. This is very much the line the No campaign are pushing, and it’s working. Their slogan is “If you aren’t sure what you’re voting for, vote no”.

I’m no expert on any of this having not really made much effort to acquaint myself with the issues. My instinct is to vote yes, but I don’t really know what a successful referendum will mean in practice or whether it will really benefit indigenous people. Perhaps it will be spelt out during the campaign. On the face of it there seems to be some confusion/opposition coming from indigenous communities.

Not Australian but having only just read about it, this seems like a terrible subject to do a referendum on. People are just going to end up being weaponised, victimised, abused etc. awful. If a politician in the party in power believes this is the right thing to do then they should just roll with it sans referendum. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Not Australian but having only just read about it, this seems like a terrible subject to do a referendum on. People are just going to end up being weaponised, victimised, abused etc. awful. If a politician in the party in power believes this is the right thing to do then they should just roll with it sans referendum. 

Any change to the constitution requires a referendum, so they don't have a choice really. The no vote seems to be on the up, and I can understand why.  The case is not being very well made why this is the route that is required vs myriad other options available to them. 

• Like 2