Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

There are a number of elements that make them beyond crass not least the fact that gender is rather more nuanced than pink/blue.

Even after the birth, there are a surprising number of parents and grandparents who ask whether the baby is a boy or a girl.  Ignorant fools, don't they realise that they will die not knowing whether their child is a boy or a girl because it changes from minute to minute?

6 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

Even after the birth, there are a surprising number of parents and grandparents who ask whether the baby is a boy or a girl.  Ignorant fools, don't they realise that they will die not knowing whether their child is a boy or a girl because it changes from minute to minute?

Nuance, I appreciate that word is a tricky one.

The identification of sex in the womb is based purely on what they can physically see between their legs on an ultrasound scan. There are chromosomal anomalies such as xxy xyy xxx, there is also hermaphroditism and a reasonable amount of guess work.

There is also the matter of self identification, which is what I assume you are glibly referring to. Imagine you are someone struggling with your identity and want to talk to your parents about it. How much harder do you think it will be knowing that a man died so they could celebrate the fact you have their desired set of genitals.

https://www.todaysparent.com/blogs/trending/gender-reveal-parties-that-ended-in-tragedy/

10 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Gender reveal parties are weird. Literally nobody gives a fcuk whether you’re having a boy or a girl, unless you’re needing a boy as an heir to your throne. 

Its just an excuse for a party.  People have parties for all kinds of reasons which are meaningless to everyone else.  I don't care about your birthday for example.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Nuance, I appreciate that word is a tricky one.

The identification of sex in the womb is based purely on what they can physically see between their legs on an ultrasound scan. There are chromosomal anomalies such as xxy xyy xxx, there is also hermaphroditism and a reasonable amount of guess work.

There is also the matter of self identification, which is what I assume you are glibly referring to. Imagine you are someone struggling with your identity and want to talk to your parents about it. How much harder do you think it will be knowing that a man died so they could celebrate the fact you have their desired set of genitals.

https://www.todaysparent.com/blogs/trending/gender-reveal-parties-that-ended-in-tragedy/

You are linking the people watching the plane with the crash, or perhaps those who booked it.  Are spectators at an airshow responsible for a plane crash?  How about if I buy a ticket for a family member who then dies in a place crash?  The people who own, maintains and fly the plane are responsible, no one else.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

You are linking the people watching the plane with the crash, or perhaps those who booked it.  Are spectators at an airshow responsible for a plane crash?  How about if I buy a ticket for a family member who then dies in a place crash?  The people who own, maintains and fly the plane are responsible, no one else.

Read the thread Jon, I have said the exact opposite to that in my first post.

22 hours ago, Sideshow Faes said:

I think the issue is less about money and more about principal.

The wealthy/Tories constantly talk about strivers and how if you work hard and put the effort in you can reach the top - a British 'American dream' if you will.

But the reality is that, if you have the money, you can buy advantages in pretty much everything: from healthcare to schooling. You can't even go to a theme park without richer people skipping the queue nowadays.

Either we live in a society or we don't. It can't be fair that 5% of the population (or whatever it is) can get a head start on everybody else simply because their parents are rich. Surely we should aim to live in a meritocracy.

It only makes it worse that the same people that can give their offspring every advantage going are the ones that shout down any idea that might cause them to pay a little more tax to raise educational and other standards across the whole population. 

My view is that we should want a society where life outcomes are based on the skills and efforts of the participants, not the wealth of their parents. 

It helps no one to stop people spending their money on their kids.  Really, no one.  What does help is providing good education for everyone, and clearly that is not happening.  It should be happening.  I would happily pay more tax for it to happen.  Also the ones you are complaining about pay the majority of the tax, just saying.

Edited by Jon the Hat

42 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

What?  People who have gender reveal parties?  My main point to them would be they are revealing sex not gender..

You could with equal accuracy make the point at someone's 21st birthday party that it's actually their 22nd birthday because the day they were born was the first.  It would be just as pedantic, and unnecessary.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

All I can think about is Peep Show seeing that.

"Bad news, bad news, bad news. Jesus, Jeremy, one bus crash. What about all the buses that made it safely to their destinations?"

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Sampson said:

Never been to one and  might be unpopular but I don’t see a problem with those gender reveal parties. They’re just friends and family celebrating a new life. 

Not convinced that is the case though, like the old classic of a baby shower with pink or blue balloons, or cut open the cake to see a pink or blue middle, sure. They're celebrating the whole having a kid thing and the sex of the kid is just an aside. Having a full on gender reveal party, where the focus is announcing what genitals your unborn kid will have, is weird enough even before you start crashing planes or killing your nan with a pipe bomb to do so

• Like 1

Guest Sideshow Faes
3 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

What?  People who have gender reveal parties?  My main point to them would be they are revealing sex not gender..

I don't think many people understand this point tbh

2 hours ago, dsr-burnley said:

You could with equal accuracy make the point at someone's 21st birthday party that it's actually their 22nd birthday because the day they were born was the first.  It would be just as pedantic, and unnecessary.  

As this proves