Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

5 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

Very sad news but predictable.

Hope the family are left to grieve in private.

Not a chance. The Internet sleuths will be trying work our how the partner killed her.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, foxy boxing said:

Unfortunately it was always likely to be the eventual outcome. Most likely fell in trying to retrieve the ball for her dog.

It was stated at the outset there was no ball, unfortunately, there was something, and it has resulted in a tragic turn of events.

Hope the family are now left in peace.

1 hour ago, FoyleFox said:

It was stated at the outset there was no ball, unfortunately, there was something, and it has resulted in a tragic turn of events.

Hope the family are now left in peace.

Yes, but at the same time the police need to be absolutely straight with the family that they're going to have go through it all again in a very public way at the inquest. There's going to be a huge amount of public scrutiny on that due to the way the police have totally fvcked up their handling of this case from the beginning.

I hope the family can find some closure now but unfortunately their private tragedy is far from over being played out in the public eye.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Yes, but at the same time the police need to be absolutely straight with the family that they're going to have go through it all again in a very public way at the inquest. There's going to be a huge amount of public scrutiny on that due to the way the police have totally fvcked up their handling of this case from the beginning.

I hope the family can find some closure now but unfortunately their private tragedy is far from over being played out in the public eye.

There really won't be.

It's not the first time a body in a river has taken wéeks to locate and even the "expert" diver said it was the most baffling case he'd ever been involved in.

By the time the inquest comes around, the public will be busy with some other scandal/disaster/incompetence.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nnfox said:

There really won't be.

It's not the first time a body in a river has taken wéeks to locate and even the "expert" diver said it was the most baffling case he'd ever been involved in.

By the time the inquest comes around, the public will be busy with some other scandal/disaster/incompetence.

No, I mean in terms of how the police handled this from a communications point of view and the revelations they made about her private life. I'd fully expect the coroner to have some choice words about that.

I do have some sympathy for the police in this case. It was so public, therefore leading to living room detectives like us and several thousand far worse people on social media putting out whatever they liked regardless of knowing anything about the situation that they were pretty much damned if they did and damned if they didn't on virtually every aspect.

With no conclusive CCTV evidence, no eyewitnesses present or refusing to come forward and the likelihood the only "person" seeing anything being the dog it could have been the case they knew as much as anybody else about this incident. Whilst I wouldn't advocate releasing details of someone's private life they were almost forced to give regular updates to people who wanted news yesterday.

I'm sure they've made errors and would have done things differently had there been another chance but they were up against a media and public desperate to know and give opinions. As Finners mentioned, the Channel 5 show with experts put even more pressure on them.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

No, I mean in terms of how the police handled this from a communications point of view and the revelations they made about her private life. I'd fully expect the coroner to have some choice words about that.

I don't see how, the coroner is only responsible for establishing what happened up to the point of death,  as far as I understand it. 

4 minutes ago, Robo61 said:

I don't see how, the coroner is only responsible for establishing what happened up to the point of death,  as far as I understand it. 

Well, they'll have to examine the investigation leading up to the circumstances of her body being found in order to come to whatever verdict they come to.

Coroners do sometimes make more general recommendations based on the facts of cases if they think it will save lives. In this case, at the very least you'd think they'd call for Lancs Police to have a look at how they classify missing persons in the early hours of their reported disappearance.

2 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Well, they'll have to examine the investigation leading up to the circumstances of her body being found in order to come to whatever verdict they come to.

Coroners do sometimes make more general recommendations based on the facts of cases if they think it will save lives. In this case, at the very least you'd think they'd call for Lancs Police to have a look at how they classify missing persons in the early hours of their reported disappearance.

I'm pretty sure she was flagged as high risk almost immediately.

14 hours ago, Corky said:

I do have some sympathy for the police in this case. It was so public, therefore leading to living room detectives like us and several thousand far worse people on social media putting out whatever they liked regardless of knowing anything about the situation that they were pretty much damned if they did and damned if they didn't on virtually every aspect.

I strongly suggest that you make a point of avoiding the 92 page Madeiline McCann thread. 

Edited by Line-X
  • Like 1

I'm slightly wary of introducing another true crime/living room detective topic into this thread, but did anybody else see the Channel 5 documentary last night on the Chillenden murders? There wasn't much new in it - it was more a detailed summary of the case. But it strengthened my longstanding view that the imprisonment of Michael Stone for this terrible crime is one of the biggest miscarriages in British legal history. There is literally no evidence that he did it, yet he's spent 25 years in prison for it. He is eligible for parole, but very likely won't be granted it unless he confesses, which he'll never do. Unless there's a retrial he'll likely spend the rest of his life in prison for a crime he didn't commit.

Anyway, worth checking out for those interested in this case:

Michael Stone

Edited by ClaphamFox

32 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

But that wasn't made public until the other day. That's what I meant.

Why do the public need to know what the police's risk classification is?

The police assessed the situation as high risk and commenced an investigation. I don't understand why you need to know that, and even if they told you, what difference it would make.

49 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

I'm slightly wary of introducing another true crime/living room detective topic into this thread, but did anybody else see the Channel 5 documentary last night on the Chillenden murders? There wasn't much new in it - it was more a detailed summary of the case. But it strengthened my longstanding view that the imprisonment of Michael Stone for this terrible crime is one of the biggest miscarriages in British legal history. There is literally no evidence that he did it, yet he's spent 25 years in prison for it. He is eligible for parole, but very likely won't be granted it unless he confesses, which he'll never do. Unless there's a retrial he'll likely spend the rest of his life in prison for a crime he didn't commit.

Anyway, worth checking out for those interested in this case:

Michael Stone

I don't suppose there's anything that might provide enough evidence to find him innocent and/or the victim of a miscarriage of justice?

17 minutes ago, nnfox said:

Why do the public need to know what the police's risk classification is?

The police assessed the situation as high risk and commenced an investigation. I don't understand why you need to know that, and even if they told you, what difference it would make.

Because if they had just done that in the first place it would have stopped a lot of the daft speculation and conspiracy loons from being allowed to get their oar in. It was traumatic enough for the family without them having to deal with that nonsense too (which, sadly, also won't be going away now either because of how badly the police comms strategy was handled).

In missing persons investigations the public are to a large extent the eyes and ears of the police. It would seem the level of urgency should be communicated, as it quite often is in such cases. Instead, they allowed speculation to become rife and then, when it was too late, decided to cover their own backs by going over the top and releasing confidential health information that none of us had the right to hear. It's been a total shitshow and it needs to be never allowed to happen again.

57 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I don't suppose there's anything that might provide enough evidence to find him innocent and/or the victim of a miscarriage of justice?

I don't know how familiar you are with this case, but his conviction rests solely on a prison cell 'confession' that almost certainly didn't happen. Damien Daley, the inmate he supposedly confessed to, is a known liar and now a convicted murderer in his own right. If the trial occured today, the outcome would be completely different because the criminal justice system treats these supposed prison confessions with extreme caution these days. Unfortunately that wasn't the case 22 years ago.

Levi Bellfield has been linked with the Chillenden murders and even 'confessed' to them himself last year in a letter, only to withdraw his confession later. Unless new evidence comes to light that links either Bellfield of somebody else to the crime, or Damian Daley's evidence is shown to be unsafe, it is difficult to see how the conviction will be overturned. And as Stone says he will never confess, parole seemingly won't be an option either.

Edited by ClaphamFox

3 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

I don't know how familiar you are with this case, but his conviction rests solely on a prison cell 'confession' that almost certainly didn't happen. Damien Daley, the inmate he supposedly confessed to, is a known liar and now a convicted murderer in his own right. If the trial occured today, the outcome would be completely different because the criminal justice system treats these supposed prison confessions with extreme caution these days. Unfortunately that wasn't the case 22 years ago.

Levi Bellfield has been linked with the Chillenden murders and even 'confessed' to them himself last year in a letter, only to withdraw his confession later. Unless new evidence comes to light that links either Bellfield of somebody else to the crime, or Damian Daley's evidence is shown to be unsafe, it is difficult to see how the conviction will be overturned. And as he'll never confess, parole seemingly won't be an option either.

Thanks for the additional information.

You wonder why exactly the bolded can't be worked on considering what you have said here, but I'm further guessing there's reasons for that.