Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

34 minutes ago, Dunge said:

Where I work, we’ve been largely WFH since Covid. What you write here is demonstrably untrue for us.

There will be some exceptions for sure - but if you take the population as a whole - the average Brit is work shy and lazy, there will of course be people who do work 9-5 at home with no distractions, but more so there will be people nipping out, walking their dog, radio on, answering the door, having a nap etc. in my personal opinion I don’t buy it, but life’s about opinions. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

There will be some exceptions for sure - but if you take the population as a whole - the average Brit is work shy and lazy, there will of course be people who do work 9-5 at home with no distractions, but more so there will be people nipping out, walking their dog, radio on, answering the door, having a nap etc. in my personal opinion I don’t buy it, but life’s about opinions. 

Isn't this a benefit of working from home? People can do this, and then (hopefully) be disciplined to work the extra half hour or whatever time? They're only cheating themselves and then wondering why their work piles up. 

Working from home, in some lines of work/jobs, is so much better for the work-life balance. Hopefully workplaces have recognised this and if your team has a good manager, they'll not only realise that work is slipping, but also work with the employer to work reasonably flexibly and not have the piss taken out of them. 

Life is about opinions but then you can't say everyone is lying if they believe they're more productive lol

• Like 2

Many people these days are TWaTs

They’re in the office Tuesdays, Wednesday and Thursdays and WFH Monday and Friday 

Seems to work for well for most from what I can gather 

20 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Isn't this a benefit of working from home? People can do this, and then (hopefully) be disciplined to work the extra half hour or whatever time? They're only cheating themselves and then wondering why their work piles up. 

Working from home, in some lines of work/jobs, is so much better for the work-life balance. Hopefully workplaces have recognised this and if your team has a good manager, they'll not only realise that work is slipping, but also work with the employer to work reasonably flexibly and not have the piss taken out of them. 

Life is about opinions but then you can't say everyone is lying if they believe they're more productive lol

Exactly my point when you say hopefully in your first point, I just don’t believe generally the majority are. 

I’m not saying everyone is lying but 3 people on a football forum saying they are equally or more productive isn’t a true representation of the workforce and a bit naive. 

Edited by Tommy G

I would say the difference between the schools being in term or on holiday is big in terms of the WFH view. As a public transport user, I am probably, on average, home around 30 minutes later in term time.

Add that to the roadworks and general shit weather and you can see why people prefer to stay at home.

I was shit in every job I've ever had because they made me get up before I wanted to and wear clothes I hated.

I'm a one-man work powerhouse now I'm able to rise at 11am, put on loud tunes, and beaver away in my pants.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I work from home 100% and I'm definitely more effective in my role now than I was when I worked in a UK office. I don't have all the chit chat at my desk, all the interruptions from people having leaving/birthday/retirement speeches, I don't have to leave my desk for a cigarette break because I can take my laptop with me, and there are probably more things that I haven't thought of. 

The lack of a commute makes me happier, and being able to take my lunch break at home rather than with the other idiots in the office makes me happier. Happier makes me more productive, and I am working for pretty much 100% of my shift at work, rather than less in the office with all the interruptions I've mentioned.

Management needing to be visible in an office is such an outdated way of thinking, any good manager can manage their team effectively from wherever they are, if you can't you're either in the wrong job, or you don't have the respect of your team.

This.

And as if productivity by itself without considering how the welfare of workers affects it is the sole (or even most important) arbiter of the success of a business anyway.

6 minutes ago, Daggers said:

I was shit in every job I've ever had because they made me get up before I wanted to and wear clothes I hated.

I'm a one-man work powerhouse now I'm able to rise at 11am, put on loud tunes, and beaver away in my pants.

Dags this is a family forum, keep it to yourself.

On 19/09/2023 at 13:27, Foxdiamond said:

Has anyone watched The State Of Chaos on BBC 2. 

I wasn't going to but I did in the end. It was interesting. I heard a podcast with Laura Kuenssberg talking about it: the Civil Service (at the height of the pandemic) felt the way No 10 was behaving, and decisions they were making, were so bad that they contacted Buckingham Palace numerous times to get the Queen involved.

Kuenssberg said they glossed over it in the documentary because the Civil Service didn't want/aren't allowed to talk about it (including ex-employees), it should never happen, and the Palace wouldn't want it to be talked about. All they could really include was: the Palace was contacted and that Johnson "had to be reminded of the constitution". 

Wonder what reminded about the constitution means. Could mean: I can remove you if necessary. 

She was saying that she thought more might come out about it in the public covid inquiry.

Edited by Guesty
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MonkeyTennis? said:

Counterpoint: I hate working from home. I'm not sure whether I am more or less productive (not sure it matters) but I am definitely more tetchy and unhappy by the end of the day. 

Retired now but hated idea of working from home. Did not want work to infiltrate home life.  In my line of customer service I was certain it was better to be with colleagues in the office

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

I'm way more productive at home in my job, compared to office.

I am not lying. 

100% here and the same applies to my whole team.

Project success rates, limited defects have gotten much better.

Whatever you love, wfh or in person, hybrid good for you. Enjoy and always stay committed to the job and it's purpose.

If mandated to return to office, I will. Whether i stay who knows . Will do what's best for me. We do get together quarterly as a division with 2 corporate bi-annual events so we get in person face time and that's lovely.

Slackers will be slackers whether wfh or not.  

Side note, taking a shit at home vs the office is a much faster, easier, less stressful experience. No more fumbling with TP on the seat to avoid others mess and STI's

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I work from home 100% and I'm definitely more effective in my role now than I was when I worked in a UK office. I don't have all the chit chat at my desk, all the interruptions from people having leaving/birthday/retirement speeches, I don't have to leave my desk for a cigarette break because I can take my laptop with me, and there are probably more things that I haven't thought of. 

The lack of a commute makes me happier, and being able to take my lunch break at home rather than with the other idiots in the office makes me happier. Happier makes me more productive, and I am working for pretty much 100% of my shift at work, rather than less in the office with all the interruptions I've mentioned.

Management needing to be visible in an office is such an outdated way of thinking, any good manager can manage their team effectively from wherever they are, if you can't you're either in the wrong job, or you don't have the respect of your team.

Management doesn’t mean office staff does it? You’ve just made that up. Your post is really about you not wanting to interact with your peers more than the wfh benefits, apart from having a fag whilst on your laptop.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Case study complete, evidence proves the population as a whole are less effective at home, everyone claims to be more effective at home. 

I can certainly understand the frustration faced when people think anecdotes trump scientific data :D

Just now, Tommy G said:

Management doesn’t mean office staff does it? You’ve just made that up. Your post is really about you not wanting to interact with your peers more than the wfh benefits, apart from having a fag whilst on your laptop.

And if a worker is at least mostly as productive while doing so, an employer should offer that right IMO.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Daggers said:

And more productive than panting away in your ….