Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

9 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Would be much better off putting all these billions of £££s into the rail system we do have. Making the trains punctual, subsidising rail tickets, if using public transport is so important 

I mean, a London-Manchester train fare must be already over £100. It’ll probably be triple that to use the HS2 line. 

Put some of the money into the Ivanhoe railway line. I think coalville is the second largest town in the country that doesn’t have a train station.

That would be a good first step, yeah.

But the infrastructure does need updating - I look at where I've just left in terms of trains and then at what the UK (a similar sized nation) is (not) doing and the gap is actually laughable.

I saw a good quote on Twitter today which was that British politicians know the cost of everything and the value of nothing. 

Sacking off a half built HS2 is so stupid that it’s beyond comprehension. Once it started, it gets completed regardless of cost. We need to invest in our infrastructure if we want to carry on being the country that we think we are. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, leicsmac said:

That would be a good first step, yeah.

But the infrastructure does need updating - I look at where I've just left in terms of trains and then at what the UK (a similar sized nation) is (not) doing and the gap is actually laughable.

Imagine the KTX here.

It would cost 150bn to build and not be...oh...errr

Edited by foxile5

12 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Imagine the KTX here.

It would cost 150bn to build and not be...oh...errr

Yeah, would be the equivalent of 150bn on one line that takes 30 years to complete, goes from Seoul to Daejeon (or maybe Daegu) only and then gets abandoned despite promising lines to Mokpo and Busan.

Rather embarrassing all round really.

12 hours ago, Zear0 said:

Quite extraordinary that that's not even the low point within the last 24 hours for me. Leaked memo saying abolish inheritance tax as the population are too thick to understand it won't affect 96% of them was quite a read. Bit agnostic on the policy of it, more the absolute contempt they have for us unwashed. 

If the conversation between the lady that cuts my hair and the customer before me,  and the responses I've just been reading to Robert Preston"s tweet about this are anything to go by then, depressingly, they're completely correct

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Lionator said:

I saw a good quote on Twitter today which was that British politicians know the cost of everything and the value of nothing. 

Sacking off a half built HS2 is so stupid that it’s beyond comprehension. Once it started, it gets completed regardless of cost. We need to invest in our infrastructure if we want to carry on being the country that we think we are. 

It's not half built.  Nowhere near.  It's already over the total budget and past its scheduled completion date, and they are nowhere near.  At the very least, they need to sack everyone involved in the planning and budgeting and make a fresh start with a fresh budget.

On 23/09/2023 at 07:15, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

What I don't get about all this russel brand stuff is why now? It's always been obvious he's a wrong un. It can't be to deflect and distract people from something else? 

I would guess that Katherine Ryan's comments last year, promoted reporters to start looking in more detail into this, and building a story. 

Been reading a really interesting book about gangland violence in the US. Interestingly, not as much of the actual attacks and killings are caused by criminal activity, as you might think.

Stupid things like arguments over girlfriends, dissing someone or simply proving a point seem to be the issue. They all seem to be overgrown kids who can't see past their own nose. Ridiculous. 

50 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Been reading a really interesting book about gangland violence in the US. Interestingly, not as much of the actual attacks and killings are caused by criminal activity, as you might think.

Stupid things like arguments over girlfriends, dissing someone or simply proving a point seem to be the issue. They all seem to be overgrown kids who can't see past their own nose. Ridiculous. 

Crazy bravado 

1 hour ago, fox_up_north said:

It's bad enough for them having Gary Glitter on recruitment and PR.

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

I’m starting to think the tories are going to pull it out of the bag before the next election. 

Certainly I’m noticing a concerted and coordinated campaign from their friendly media to get momentum in their direction. A lot of favour for Stella Braverman too.

For what it’s worth, as someone who’s mostly voted Conservative in my life, their new policies do nothing to attract me back - only push me further away - and I consider Braverman a horrible person.

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

I’m starting to think the tories are going to pull it out of the bag before the next election. 

I'll be surprised but interesting to see James Cracknell will be running as an MP for them

13 minutes ago, Dunge said:

Certainly I’m noticing a concerted and coordinated campaign from their friendly media to get momentum in their direction. A lot of favour for Stella Braverman too.

For what it’s worth, as someone who’s mostly voted Conservative in my life, their new policies do nothing to attract me back - only push me further away - and I consider Braverman a horrible person.

It's what I've scratched my head at too. They seem policies aimed at the more died in the wool Tories whose vote they already have. Guess the olive branch to the centrists will be at the budget next year when money appears. 

38 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

It's what I've scratched my head at too. They seem policies aimed at the more died in the wool Tories whose vote they already have. Guess the olive branch to the centrists will be at the budget next year when money appears. 

Not really,  The dyed in the wool Tories are not happy about the high tax, high spend policies and the desire to outstrip the rest of the world in chasing net zero with consequent price rises.  Nor are the "red wall" first-time Tories from the last election.