Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

RIP Nicola :(.

Closure for the family in that she's been found.

But, the police have a fvck load to answer for in how they've handled this from start to finish. Distinct lack of professionalism, and not to mention the lack of respect they've shown to the family and Nicola herself.

And the media don't help themselves:

In their statement the family condemn Sky News and ITV, which they say contacted them despite their appeal for privacy.

It is "shameful" the press has acted in this way, the family say.

"Leave us alone now", they add.

The family ask if the press and other media channels do not know when to stop.

Scathing statement  from the family towards the media.

Understand the reaction from them but maybe that should have been for another day?

Full closure once the post mortem is carried out and any other lingering doubts can  be nipped in the bud.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Raj said:

Understand the reaction from them but maybe that should have been for another day?

Full closure once the post mortem is carried out and any other lingering doubts can  be nipped in the bud.

It is quite possible that many unanswered questions will remain so once this is carried out.  The media are part of the problem but social media and the type of people this has attracted to the scene in the village attempting their own investigations is far worse imo.

15 minutes ago, Raj said:

Sky News sent those vultures Kay Burley and Martin Brunt. Despicable people who have no compunction about hurting people in their pursuit of a "story".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

RIP Nicola :(.

Closure for the family in that she's been found.

But, the police have a fvck load to answer for in how they've handled this from start to finish. Distinct lack of professionalism, and not to mention the lack of respect they've shown to the family and Nicola herself.

And the media don't help themselves:

I've seen a lot of people being hyper critical of the police in all this, but I haven't seen much in the way of specifics as to how they've messed up so much.  I know there was controversy over the vulnerabilities and that the ICO will be looking into that, but I'm not sure it's fair to label the whole investigation from start to finish as a shitshow.

The media haven't helped but the public have been dispicable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, nnfox said:

There really won't be.

It's not the first time a body in a river has taken wéeks to locate and even the "expert" diver said it was the most baffling case he'd ever been involved in.

By the time the inquest comes around, the public will be busy with some other scandal/disaster/incompetence.

I read of a similar drowning with the body washing up a year later.

4 minutes ago, nnfox said:

I've seen a lot of people being hyper critical of the police in all this, but I haven't seen much in the way of specifics as to how they've messed up so much.  I know there was controversy over the vulnerabilities and that the ICO will be looking into that, but I'm not sure it's fair to label the whole investigation from start to finish as a shitshow.

I was pointing at the release of personal information which didn't really seem to a beneficial move. It's also alleged they didn't protect the area of where she originally went missing, and kept it open to the public? 

It just seems they could have been a bit more sensitive? 

47 minutes ago, nnfox said:

Usually when police appeal for information on a missing person (on Facebook at least) they usually state that the person is classed as vulnerable.

That obviously wasn’t done for a good two weeks into the investigation.

Everyone including the SGI guy who brought his troops up from down south were unaware of her vulnerability and so were searching on the basis of her being unable to get out of the river (which doubts were cast on due to the rivers depth) 

It sounds to me like they should’ve been made aware they were searching for someone who possibly didn’t want to get out of the river. It puts a whole different slant on the search. Might also explain why there were no signs of someone slipping into the river too, which led to a whole host of other theories being made.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Usually when police appeal for information on a missing person (on Facebook at least) they usually state that the person is classed as vulnerable.

That obviously wasn’t done for a good two weeks into the investigation.

Everyone including the SGI guy who brought his troops up from down south were unaware of her vulnerability and so were searching on the basis of her being unable to get out of the river (which doubts were cast on due to the rivers depth) 

It sounds to me like they should’ve been made aware they were searching for someone who possibly didn’t want to get out of the river. It puts a whole different slant on the search. Might also explain why there were no signs of someone slipping into the river too, which led to a whole host of other theories being made.

The level of vulnerability was probably (rightly or wrongly) deemed to be low.  Usually vulnerabilities that are highlighted early on are due to some diagnosed mental disorder or some recent traumatic incident or similar.  I can't help but think that the timing of the specifics of Nicola's "vulnerability" was due to something else going on in the background.  I just don't see it as being hugely significant with regards what actually happened. If everybody who had some sort of internal struggle was labelled as vulnerable, then every person on planet earth would be vulnerable.  That said, this particular aspect will be examined in some depth by the inquest - could it have played a part in events leading to her entering the river, the coroner may have something to say about that.

As for the guy from SGI, I can't help but think that his initial over confidence has turned into a rescue mission for his own reputation, not helped by the fact that she was found downstream of the weir.  He had said that she was unlikely to have gone over the weir and if she had, there was multiple shallow stretches and it would be inconceivable that she wouldn't have been spotted.

It's all very sad, and unfortunately we live in a world where everyone seems to want to blame someone for everything.

All the evidence (that has been made public) suggests she went in where the phone was found.  Can we say that with 100% certainty? No we can't and it's unlikely that we ever will.  It's a conspiracy theorist's dream.  Where did she go in?  When? Did she fall? Jump? Pushed?  A lack of evidence to clarify the exact circumstances doesn't mean the most likely explanation didn't happen.  Unfortunately (for some) we may never know for sure.

I just hope the family get the privacy and the support they need and deserve.

• Like 1

On 19/02/2023 at 21:22, Corky said:

I do have some sympathy for the police in this case. It was so public, therefore leading to living room detectives like us and several thousand far worse people on social media putting out whatever they liked regardless of knowing anything about the situation that they were pretty much damned if they did and damned if they didn't on virtually every aspect.

With no conclusive CCTV evidence, no eyewitnesses present or refusing to come forward and the likelihood the only "person" seeing anything being the dog it could have been the case they knew as much as anybody else about this incident. Whilst I wouldn't advocate releasing details of someone's private life they were almost forced to give regular updates to people who wanted news yesterday.

I'm sure they've made errors and would have done things differently had there been another chance but they were up against a media and public desperate to know and give opinions. As Finners mentioned, the Channel 5 show with experts put even more pressure on them.

I agree with you. 

Nothing runs perfectly. The benefit of hindsight and all that. 

Maybe one for the unpopular opinion thread here, however unfortunately due to the high profile of the case, some of which the local community have pushed for support etc and spoken with media, was always going to fuel the continued media attention once her body was recovered. 

It’s a bit like the McCanns asking for privacy, should Madeline ever turn up. It’s a double edged sword. 

It's a bit weird the SNP going from a very progressive pro trans rights leader to a religious conservative who's anti-abortion, anti-gay marriage and anti-trans. I guess at least I can go back to hating the SNP who are now back to being the Tartan Tories. It's actually a bit of an open goal for Scottish Labour to regain ground if they aren't completely shit which is not a given. This is assuming she wins although she seems like the favourite now.

37 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Normalise telling these daft ***** where to shove their religion.

I completely disagree with her views but what you are asking is impossible. You cannot normalise telling anyone of any belief where to shove it. Rightly or wrongly we've built a world where all sorts of views are tolerated, telling religious maniacs where to go is not possible.

Flicking through another thread on here, there is debate on whether members of the trans community can compete in sports of the gender they were not born with, I would've thought that question was a slam dunk easy answer NO. Apparently not, and bloody good thing I read the thread before I got cornered in real life by someone asking that question, and humiliated myself!!

3 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

I completely disagree with her views but what you are asking is impossible. You cannot normalise telling anyone of any belief where to shove it. Rightly or wrongly we've built a world where all sorts of views are tolerated, telling religious maniacs where to go is not possible.

Flicking through another thread on here, there is debate on whether members of the trans community can compete in sports of the gender they were not born with, I would've thought that question was a slam dunk easy answer NO. Apparently not, and bloody good thing I read the thread before I got cornered in real life by someone asking that question, and humiliated myself!!

...I hope that you also got a glimpse of the much bigger picture that what is described here is only a tiny part of from that discussion, too. :)

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

...I hope that you also got a glimpse of the much bigger picture that what is described here is only a tiny part of from that discussion, too. :)

I did not, but the main takeaway was if someone ever asks me 'can a trans woman compete in female sport' laughing and saying 'NO' will land me in cancel territory!!

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Normalise telling these daft ***** where to shove their religion.

Haven't seen her interview but sounds like she's made it clear it's her personal religious belief. Most of the things she's said are pretty much standard Christian morality and wouldn't have been seen as particularly controversial until quite recently.