Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

12 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Can absolutely guarantee that cuts to social care, education and all sorts of other things make conditions like this possible. Not to remove the responsibility from the individual of course. It’s not rocket science that between 1997-2010 when public services were well funded that crime went down and since austerity began, crime rose again. 

I think that’s a bit of a stretch for finding a reason why young men are prepared to kill people for apparently no reason. Are you going to it’s because they are poor?

2 minutes ago, Wortho said:

I think that’s a bit of a stretch for finding a reason why young men are prepared to kill people for apparently no reason. Are you going to it’s because they are poor?

If there is a more plausible reason for such horrible acts, let's hear it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wortho said:

You seem an intelligent person, what do you think?

Social deprivation and poverty is the biggest motivator for crime, and next to no one in such environments carries out criminal acts purely for their own sake - that's much more the reserve of the already powerful looking to abuse their power.

Offer those disadvantaged more social opportunities and crime will drop, and I'm pretty sure there's evidence for that.

Purely out of interest, what is your take?

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

I think this arguments holds up against robbers and the like, I don't think it holds up against a 17 year old lad stabbing a 15 year old girl to death because apparently he was rejected. 

That's some Andrew tate levels of hate, not I grew up in poverty hate. 

In this specific case, I'd agree. I was more addressing the generalisations floated in the thread earlier.

That's why IMO a two pronged approach is needed - more social opportunities to decrease the level of general crime, and harsh punishments when someone is clearly doing it just to abuse the power they have.

4 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

OGC Nice player threatening to commit suicide off the Magnan viaduct - Just seen this on twitter...Grim

Horrible.  A reminder that anyone, no matter how outwardly successful they may seem, can suffer from poor mental health.

Hopefully this ends with him safe and getting the treatment and support he needs.  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

OGC Nice player threatening to commit suicide off the Magnan viaduct - Just seen this on twitter...Grim

This is basically what happened to Aaron Lennon I believe, thankfully he got the help he needed. Especially sad given what happened to the Sheff Utd womens player recently.

49 minutes ago, Lionator said:

This is basically what happened to Aaron Lennon I believe, thankfully he got the help he needed. Especially sad given what happened to the Sheff Utd womens player recently.

Perhaps I've misunderstood, but the implication here seems to be that Maddy Cusack took her own life. I wasn't aware that her cause of death had been made public. 

11 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Perhaps I've misunderstood, but the implication here seems to be that Maddy Cusack took her own life. I wasn't aware that her cause of death had been made public. 

I can’t remember where but I saw a friend on hers post that on Facebook in response to a post saying that the covid vaccine had killed her. 

• Sad 1

35 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I can’t remember where but I saw a friend on hers post that on Facebook in response to a post saying that the covid vaccine had killed her. 

How incredibly sad that such a reply is even necessary.

Such purveyors of misinformation have a lot to answer for.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

How incredibly sad that such a reply is even necessary.

Such purveyors of misinformation have a lot to answer for.

Sadly Facebook is filled with posts claiming that virtually every sudden death is due to the Covid vaccine, and there seem to be thousands upon thousands of people who believe this to be true.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

Sadly Facebook is filled with posts claiming that virtually every sudden death is due to the Covid vaccine, and there seem to be thousands upon thousands of people who believe this to be true.

I'd like to hope that most of those "people" don't in fact exist and are bot factories for the purpose of wilful misinformation, but who knows?

3 hours ago, PAULCFC said:

Not sure a 16 year old could have taken a chainsaw to the middle of nowwhere and done such a clinical cut on a tree.....there is more to this than meets the eye!

Having watched 2 trained chaps carefully, cut down a tree half that size in our garden, it stuck me as very odd that a 16 yo just rocked up in the night and managed that so cleanly.  

Edited by FoyleFox
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, PAULCFC said:

Not sure a 16 year old could have taken a chainsaw to the middle of nowwhere and done such a clinical cut on a tree.....there is more to this than meets the eye!

With a big gap where the tree used to be, there is now less than what used to meet the eye!

6 hours ago, Lionator said:

6 hours ago, Bordersfox said:

Horrible.  A reminder that anyone, no matter how outwardly successful they may seem, can suffer from poor mental health.

Hopefully this ends with him safe and getting the treatment and support he needs.  

7 hours ago, Tommy G said:

'OGC Nice have released a statement in response to the story surrounding their 22-year-old player Alexis Beka Beka.

The young Frenchman was rescued from a bridge by the fire service this afternoon after threatening to end his life.

A statement from Jean-Pierre Rivere, president of the Ligue 1 club, read: “Above all, we are relieved that everything ended well today for Alexis. He was taken care of.

“We will continue to respect medical confidentiality and we ask everyone to do the same and respect their privacy.

“We are in his support as well as that of the entire club.”'

• Like 2

4 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I'd like to hope that most of those "people" don't in fact exist and are bot factories for the purpose of wilful misinformation, but who knows?

Unfortunately not, they are real people with legitimate profiles, they most probably all belong to the chemtrails groups too.

8 hours ago, PAULCFC said:

I would have thought that cutting a tree down cleanly might be done, as a one-off, by an unqualified person with a bit of know-how.  Doing it consistently and safely time and again, no.  But as a one-off, possibly?