Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

The faux outrage of conservative voters at  the Conservatives representatives at the moment is laughable, these are the same people you voted for, holding the same opinions you supported and acting on the ideas you wanted introduced.

Next election theyll get thrown out and then 2 months after the election you will all be back begging for their return.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, leicsmac said:

And the end result is the use of the democratic process to destroy it.

Very depressing, especially when, as you say, it's obvious.

15 minute cities make sense as a principle of town planning, making sure people have access close by to most of the facilities they need.  What people don't like is when talk moves on to measures to encourage people to only use the local facilities and punish them if they don't.  In reality these would be highly unlikely to ever get enough support to happen, but it would be false to say there isn't discussion about it in local authorities, and that plays into the hands of the conspiracy people and those who benefit from their paranoia.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

The faux outrage of conservative voters at  the Conservatives representatives at the moment is laughable, these are the same people you voted for, holding the same opinions you supported and acting on the ideas you wanted introduced.

Next election they'll get thrown out and then 2 months after the election you will all be back begging for their return.

There are definitely more ***** than normal getting air time.  Like when Corbyn was in charge of Labour, the fringe is running things.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

15 minute cities make sense as a principle of town planning, making sure people have access close by to most of the facilities they need.  What people don't like is when talk moves on to measures to encourage people to only use the local facilities and punish them if they don't.  In reality these would be highly unlikely to ever get enough support to happen, but it would be false to say there isn't discussion about it in local authorities, and that plays into the hands of the conspiracy people and those who benefit from their paranoia.

When you say punish though, what do you mean by that as I haven’t heard anything like that? That would obviously be a problem but it’s a big thing to say, I hope there’s evidence. 

And I also feel like it’s common sense and not a new thing that a local authority would want to support business and facilities within their local area? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

When you say punish though, what do you mean by that as I haven’t heard anything like that? That would obviously be a problem but it’s a big thing to say, I hope there’s evidence. 

And I also feel like it’s common sense and not a new thing that a local authority would want to support business and facilities within their local area? 

Well for example as of now, people who drive Petrol or Diesel cars are punished for doing so, as those in electric cars don't pay much in the way of tax to support the road infrastructure, either through road fund license or fuel duty.  As councils put in place technology to allow them to track vehicles, we have congestion charges and ULEZ charges.  It's not a long leap to say you might charge people for moving from one zone to another, but it would be free in their own zone say.  Especially once tax from cars and fuel drops away they will be looking for new ways to fund the road network etc.

Weirdly the one thing which would encourage people to live and work close together is abolishing stamp duty so people can move house more easily, but that never seems to be on the table.

7 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

It's conspiracist planks either knowingly or unknowingly at the behest of sociopaths hellbent on maintaining their own power and the status quo in the name of "freedom" by using a slippery slope logical fallacy, rather than permit any kind of progress.

A world where the less advantaged are helped more is a world where they have less power, so they purport this BS on social media knowing that a subset of folks will lap it up, make a noise and block things.

That's about it, really.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Yes, like "Tories are going to privatise the NHS" for about 70 years.

What really makes you think that the current party in power aren't both intent on doing that and PR savvy enough to get enough of the public to accept it by dressing it up as something else?

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Weirdly the one thing which would encourage people to live and work close together is abolishing stamp duty so people can move house more easily, but that never seems to be on the table.

Worse still, it's set to return to its original level in March 2025. Since the Tories are unlikely to be in office by then, this is an issue that they are happy for Labour to inherit. It will be interesting to see what policy they adopt. 

Just now, EnderbyFox said:

"They don't want a Labour Government, they want change" Mental how many Tory MPs keep parroting this line, literally been in power for nearly 15 years lol

I mean this is largely true, there's no great appetite for Labour, I think most see Starmer for what he is. It's just the Tories are SO bad they have to go and Labour are the most credible alternative.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Foxdiamond said:

Lee Anderson should be ashamed about his comments regarding children with ADHD. What a dinosaur he is.

They're demob happy. They know they're on their way out so don't even have to pretend at being sane or decent any more. It's a huge weight off their shoulders and they're enjoying it.

4 minutes ago, Bryn said:

I mean this is largely true, there's no great appetite for Labour, I think most see Starmer for what he is. It's just the Tories are SO bad they have to go and Labour are the most credible alternative.

Problem is that if Labour was radical they would be accused of being dangerous reds despite that lots of people would see improvement in their lives