Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

9 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

My "special interest" in Penny Mordaunt has been well documented on here (too well? Not well enough? You decide) but that speech is going to make things VERY difficult between us

Genuinely concerned about her, I think she’s broken. Or on great drugs.

3 minutes ago, Dunge said:

The only other individual I remember using that was Lisa Simpson.

I once said that Maresca has great perspicacasadei - it was pearls before swine, I tell you. Pearls before swine.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

If they taxed billionaires out of existence, nationalised the railways and banks etc... 

This post has been up for a whole 15 minutes - where's the inevitable billionaire fluffer post justifying their obscene wealth because "jobs or they worth it or something"?

• Haha 1

Just now, Daggers said:

This post has been up for a whole 15 minutes - where's the inevitable billionaire fluffer post justifying their obscene wealth because "jobs or they worth it or something"?

too busy reporting me?

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

The court was told he described himself as a "Sith Lord" as he was obsessed with the sci-fi characters in the fantasy film franchise and their role in shaping the world.

Hes one of them weirdos who likes star wars ffs🙄..what do you expect!!!!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Daggers said:

The bigger picture is the historical approach to public transport in general. We lack the perspicacity to develop a coherent national approach to deliver in the present and aim for the future. We should have integrated systems spanning the country, powered by alternative energies, and at such a low cost at point of delivery that it incentivises everyone to ditch private transport.

Unfortunately it can't happen.  The only way to make people ditch private transport is to make it so very expensive that only the rich can afford it, or to make car driving so unpleasant and slow that public transport is better.  (Eg. London.)

How can we have an integrated transport system so good that people prefer to carry their shopping home on a bus rather than a car?  How can it be so good that a parent will take his or her children to school (or different schools) on the bus rather than in the car?  How can we make bus travel better than car for babies and toddlers, or for the elderly who don't walk too well?  How can we make public transport so good that we can go door to door, from anywhere to anywhere, without changing buses or trains, and without delaying to pick up other passengers, and without having to share your seat with someone you would rather not?  How can we make public transport so safe that a young woman travelling alone at night prefers it to a car?  You could make it free and people would still want to drive.

In Milwaukee, unlimited bus travel costs under $20 per week for an adult and most streets (in the city centre) are served by a bus, within two or three blocks, every half hour or so.  And yet (by a quick count of number of bus passengers v car passengers over a 20 minute wait) about 5% of journeys are made by bus.

10 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Unfortunately it can't happen.  The only way to make people ditch private transport is to make it so very expensive that only the rich can afford it, or to make car driving so unpleasant and slow that public transport is better.  (Eg. London.)

How can we have an integrated transport system so good that people prefer to carry their shopping home on a bus rather than a car?  How can it be so good that a parent will take his or her children to school (or different schools) on the bus rather than in the car?  How can we make bus travel better than car for babies and toddlers, or for the elderly who don't walk too well?  How can we make public transport so good that we can go door to door, from anywhere to anywhere, without changing buses or trains, and without delaying to pick up other passengers, and without having to share your seat with someone you would rather not?  How can we make public transport so safe that a young woman travelling alone at night prefers it to a car?  You could make it free and people would still want to drive.

In Milwaukee, unlimited bus travel costs under $20 per week for an adult and most streets (in the city centre) are served by a bus, within two or three blocks, every half hour or so.  And yet (by a quick count of number of bus passengers v car passengers over a 20 minute wait) about 5% of journeys are made by bus.

If this is all so supposedly unachievable, then why does public transport in other comparable nations to the UK have a much bigger slice of the pie? They have shown it is in fact possible to have a network that serves at least a decent slice of the population.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

If this is all so supposedly unachievable, then why does public transport in other comparable nations to the UK have a much bigger slice of the pie? They have shown it is in fact possible to have a network that serves at least a decent slice of the population.

You can lead horses to water but you can’t make them think.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Looking to solve problems with existing technology is moot I think, we are not far from driverless electric shared transport costing pennies.  Almost instant Uber at the end of your road, with you by the time you walk outside.  The low maintenance cost of electric + driverless tech is a gamechanger.  As usual with these things it takes longer to arrive than we expect, but then has a much bigger impact.  

Doubt the SNP are finished, it's just that they've essentially conceded the independence vote during the next parliament which was what got them so many seats.  Bit similar to BoJo's success in drawing Brexit voters to him across the poltical divide.  Without the ref vote, and a mediocre domestic record, what are they for?  Also, whatever you think of her, Sturgeon was a big draw for voters who carried them somewhat.  Not expecting a wipeout, but can see it being a massive swing away from them, for at least one parliament.  Scot's arn't exactly renowned fans of Tory party and can see them really coming together tactically to oust them.

• Like 1

Yeah, I didn't mean finished forever like.

Just finished for now. Which I know isn't technically finished but whatever. I'll be over here if you need me. 

Edited by RoboFox

11 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Doubt the SNP are finished, it's just that they've essentially conceded the independence vote during the next parliament which was what got them so many seats.  Bit similar to BoJo's success in drawing Brexit voters to him across the poltical divide.  Without the ref vote, and a mediocre domestic record, what are they for?  Also, whatever you think of her, Sturgeon was a big draw for voters who carried them somewhat.  Not expecting a wipeout, but can see it being a massive swing away from them, for at least one parliament.  Scot's arn't exactly renowned fans of Tory party and can see them really coming together tactically to oust them.

Yes I think it's more that Labour will take the unionist vote, and that more SNP supporters can stomach voting for Labour than Conservatives given that they sit in a similar position on a lot of social and economic issues, the big one aside. If Labour win the next election and play devolution well, then there's no reason why they can't become the largest party in Scotland. However, the SNP are 100% not finished in Scotland, it's the Tories that are finished there for the foreseeable future.