Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

15 hours ago, leicsmac said:

If this is all so supposedly unachievable, then why does public transport in other comparable nations to the UK have a much bigger slice of the pie? They have shown it is in fact possible to have a network that serves at least a decent slice of the population.

Which comparable nation do you have in mind, whose public transport is so good that it "incentivises everyone to ditch private transport"?  I'm not doubting it, just that I was under the impression that rich nations generally had high car ownership, and if one or more of them do not have high ownership then we could certainly learn from them.

12 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

Which comparable nation do you have in mind, whose public transport is so good that it "incentivises everyone to ditch private transport"?  I'm not doubting it, just that I was under the impression that rich nations generally had high car ownership, and if one or more of them do not have high ownership then we could certainly learn from them.

I beg your pardon, I was under the impression that you thought the UK could not improve in this regard at all, rather than a much more "perfect" solution where a very large proportion of the population opt for public transport.

Of course, the latter has no examples, but I would say that (South) Korea is a fine example of public transportation being used widely, successfully, and taking a lot of the burden off of private transportation, even though there are still a great many people there who do use cars. It is also comparable to the UK in terms of land area, population and (to a degree) population distribution.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 2

Perhaps it's not about completely getting rid of cars but if we could reduce car use by even 25%, surely that's a target to aim for?

I'm not the biggest fan of driving and have a real aversion to traffic. I'd much prefer to be on a train than in a car, in those circumstances. 

I find it incredibly frustrating that the last 8 times I've actually wanted to use the train, I've only been able to twice - due to strikes or cancellations.

12 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Perhaps it's not about completely getting rid of cars but if we could reduce car use by even 25%, surely that's a target to aim for?

I'm not the biggest fan of driving and have a real aversion to traffic. I'd much prefer to be on a train than in a car, in those circumstances. 

I find it incredibly frustrating that the last 8 times I've actually wanted to use the train, I've only been able to twice - due to strikes or cancellations.

Some sort of scheme like they have with those bloody scooters could be a solution.  

Electric cars, unlock with your phone, pay as you go.  It would be great if they were driverless cars   It won't replace private ownership but could reduce the number of cars on the road.  If it's cost effective, people who just need a car to go to the shops or pop round to see friends and family could go for it.  Use the train to get between cities and pay as you go cars when you're there.

The scheme probably exists somewhere, I think it sounds reasonable on paper, but not sure what it would be like in the real world 

14 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Much prefer train travel than being in a car. Ideally short journeys should be by bus or walking with longer trips by train. Unfortunately government in the past has not valued public transport enough outside major cities. Look as how many bus services have been slashed over the years

6 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Cost, inconvenience and reliability deter me. Last time I looked at getting the train was for our game v Fulham.

I needed a bus to St Marg, walk to the train station, train from St Pancras to Putney. The main train element was £55+ each return and the trip would've taken about 4 hours, plus adding time for transfers and waiting around, each way.

Drove down in just over 2 hours. Half a tank of fuel and £8 to park.

I've looked at getting the bus to our home games, it's 30 minutes in the car and a 10-minute walk once in town. It's an hour minimum on the bus and a 35-minute walk. So, never going to happen.

Gonna get v ugly v quickly in Gaza 

firing 5000 rockets is going to bring a heavy response but actually sending a big group into Israel (and randomly killing civilians) is a whole new level from hamas 

netenyahu is mainly in office because he is supposedly the strong man of Israeli politics - this is hugely embarrassing for him. So his response will try to put that narrative right.  

52 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Gonna get v ugly v quickly in Gaza 

firing 5000 rockets is going to bring a heavy response but actually sending a big group into Israel (and randomly killing civilians) is a whole new level from hamas 

netenyahu is mainly in office because he is supposedly the strong man of Israeli politics - this is hugely embarrassing for him. So his response will try to put that narrative right.  

Bloodbath incoming. World is so f**ked at the moment. 

• Sad 1