Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

21 hours ago, Daggers said:

17 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

... who?

Paddington's evil brother. Cooked up crack-like narcotics from marmalade and got caught trying to smuggle them in from Peru.

11 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I don't think Donald Trump and the J6 prison choir could make the US national anthem sound more like the soundtrack to a murder if they tried

Unusual move from Trump, to associate with his fellow inmates before he gets sent to prison.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

A single incident is not bullying.  I wasn't offended by some kids books being changed, I disagreed with it.  Not the same thing.  Anyway the point is these angry death threat making religious nutters are choosing to act like that.

That's not the point that anyone is questioning. Death threats to kids is 100% wrong and I hope that those people get arrested. Nobody is saying that is ok. The issue that some of us have is painting these kids as doing no wrong. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Obviously I can't speak for 'all', but yes, if the author wants to make changes that's entirely up to them.

I'm not convinced 'weirdo' is a better substitute for 'nutcase' though :dunno:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FoxesDeb said:

Obviously I can't speak for 'all', but yes, if the author wants to make changes that's entirely up to them.

I'm not convinced 'weirdo' is a better substitute for 'nutcase' though :dunno:

No, it's probably got fewer connotations but it still doesn't pass the woke test.

38 minutes ago, marbles said:

Just wait until the day they start removing “harmful” words from movies/TV shows by using a generic voice to change the word

Glad I own Blu-ray’s/DVDs

Already happens.

I watched The Dambusters the other day and Wing Commander Guy Gibson's dogs name was changed to Trigger.

Edited by Free Falling Foxes

43 minutes ago, marbles said:

Just wait until the day they start removing “harmful” words from movies/TV shows by using a generic voice to change the word

Glad I own Blu-ray’s/DVDs

That happens all the time. Most TV shows will have a family friendly edit.

This is what is so silly about this, it is already happening and has been happening for years and years.

The difference now is there are certain people with an agenda highlighting all of this stuff with headlines designed to trigger those of a certain leaning.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Captain... said:

This is what is so silly about this, it is already happening and has been happening for years and years.

The difference now is there are certain people with an agenda highlighting all of this stuff with headlines designed to trigger those of a certain leaning.

Surely you realize that TV edits is not what I was referring to?

3 minutes ago, marbles said:

Surely you realize that TV edits is not what I was referring to?

But it's the same thing, sanitising your words to reach a greater audience and as language changes what does and doesn't need to be sanitised changes.

There's loads of episodes of the Simpsons that have been cut to avoid offending certain markets.

13 minutes ago, Captain... said:

You are aware people are able to have an individualistic view on a variety of things? One of things the culture war obsessives like yourself seem to overlook is because someone is aligned to a specific issue, does not then immediately badge them in the "certain leaning" group (aka bigots I presume?). An ironically presumptive position. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Captain... said:

But it's the same thing, sanitising your words to reach a greater audience and as language changes what does and doesn't need to be sanitised changes.

There's loads of episodes of the Simpsons that have been cut to avoid offending certain markets.

Its not the same thing

Removing curse words and nudity so a movie can be shown on television is nowhere near what I am talking about.

Neither is Marvel cutting out certain scenes so as not to offend almighty China, so the movies can play in China.

The thing is these books were written based on the author's attitudes at the time, so in some ways it's quite silly people today criticising the author's works of the past tbh.

For example, the family of Roald Dahl fairly recently apologised for his beliefs and some things he mentioned in his books - but just don't feel that there's a genuine need to try and 'correct' what's been published in a book etc from quite a good while ago.

Just seems like being 'woke' (am not a fan at all of the word) for the sake of needless political correctness to right what's happened in the  past.

What I am talking about, and hopefully it never happens, is "cleaning" up movies.  "Cleaning up" the streaming version. "Cleaning up" future DVD/Bluray versions.

I have nothing against their being multiple versions of movies/books. 

One for people who are not easily triggered, that is intact and holds true to the original intent of the author/director/writer/time period.

One for people who prefer a more sanitized version. 

More choices is always better.

What I don't want to see is people deciding words like Death are offensive, and suddenly its no longer called "The Death Star" in any available version of Star Wars (for example)

Or believing the word "Nazi" might offend someone, and changing what the villains are called in Raiders of The Lost Ark.

I watched an episode of Robin Hood on Talking Pictures recently, a 1950's childrens TV show.

They felt obliged to issue a warning beforehand about some people may be offended as to the content and 'labelled' it PG!

Intrigued, I watched it.

Only two things would have potentially fallen foul of of those easily offended.

One was Robin asking Maid Marian to get food and ale for some travellers who arrived at their camp. The other was a member of his Merrymen offering to 'Run through' the sheriff whilst gesturing a forward thrust with.a dagger

I don't know what's changed? Me and my mates carried Penknives back then for sharpening sticks, cutting string, digging holes and so on. I dont recall any children using them as a weapon, despite potential portrayal even in kids TV shows.

It's got to a state now where we try to insulate kids and even adults from such things yet violence using knives is far worse.

10 minutes ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

I watched an episode of Robin Hood on Talking Pictures recently, a 1950's childrens TV show.

They felt obliged to issue a warning beforehand about some people may be offended as to the content and 'labelled' it PG!

Intrigued, I watched it.

Only two things would have potentially fallen foul of of those easily offended.

One was Robin asking Maid Marian to get food and ale for some travellers who arrived at their camp. The other was a member of his Merrymen offering to 'Run through' the sheriff whilst gesturing a forward thrust with.a dagger

I don't know what's changed? Me and my mates carried Penknives back then for sharpening sticks, cutting string, digging holes and so on. I dont recall any children using them as a weapon, despite potential portrayal even in kids TV shows.

It's got to a state now where we try to insulate kids and even adults from such things yet violence using knives is far worse.

Heard this referenced the other day

The study, published in the Journal of Behavior Therapy and Experimental Psychiatry, found that trigger warnings can increase peoples’ perceived vulnerability to trauma. For some participants, trigger warnings made emotional reactions worse rather than better.

https://www.psypost.org/2018/08/study-finds-evidence-that-trigger-warnings-can-be-psychologically-harmful-52007#:~:text=The study%2C published in the Journal of Behavior,warnings made emotional reactions worse rather than better.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

You are aware people are able to have an individualistic view on a variety of things? One of things the culture war obsessives like yourself seem to overlook is because someone is aligned to a specific issue, does not then immediately badge them in the "certain leaning" group (aka bigots I presume?). An ironically presumptive position. 

Of course and that is why I hate this culture war bollocks, I'm not sure in which way you are classing me as an obsessive. My only interest in the culture war is pointing out how silly most of it is and the dangers of it turning into something more insidious. 

If you think I actively want these sort of changes, I don't. I'm also not going to get bent out of shape if authors, proprietors or any artist want to look at where they can make their stories more sensitive to modern sensibilities.

Getting wound up about it and throwing around words like woke and bigot (your word not mine) just plays into those that want to stoke up this bullshit culture war and cause division.

All I'm trying to do is point out it is nothing new, it happens all the time and really is not worth getting worked up about. 

1 hour ago, marbles said:

Its not the same thing

Removing curse words and nudity so a movie can be shown on television is nowhere near what I am talking about.

Neither is Marvel cutting out certain scenes so as not to offend almighty China, so the movies can play in China.

It is the same thing, it is editing your art to suit the perceived sensibilities of your target audience. The only difference is it is being framed around this culture war. 

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

It is the same thing, it is editing your art to suit the perceived sensibilities of your target audience. The only difference is it is being framed around this culture war. 

Either you misunderstand that post, or I did a horrible job typing it up

That are examples of what you stated.  Things I agree should happen.

My later post shows things that I believe should not happen

2 hours ago, Zear0 said:

.... and yet there are some (perhaps not many, but some) issues that are very clearly dichotomous.