Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

2 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Agreed. I support what Lineker said (even excusing my Leicester bias) but pointing readers down the track towards the Nazis and the current Govt is ill-thought out. Even if what he TECHNICALLY!!!!!!!!!! said is true, substance over form in this case, we know what the average person is going to think when you compare something to 1930s Germany, without trying to find loopholes.

Lineker is not responsible for others lack of knowledge.

5 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Agreed. I support what Lineker said (even excusing my Leicester bias) but pointing readers down the track towards the Nazis and the current Govt is ill-thought out. Even if what he TECHNICALLY!!!!!!!!!! said is true, substance over form in this case, we know what the average person is going to think when you compare something to 1930s Germany, without trying to find loopholes.

So it's a dog-whistle even though it's factually accurate?

That's an interesting paradox.

1 minute ago, kenny said:

Just that I hope we aren't close to signing laws that marginalise particular races.

Also that Mein Kampf was written in the 1920's and pre-dates the 'language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the 30'.

My hope is that GL is incorrect in his tweet and we haven't ended up in the place he implies.

Thanks for the clarification.

I would of course wholeheartedly agree and also think that the more people call out laws that could well develop into things like that, the less chance they have of happening.

2 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Hmmm...while I would agree, the same argument has been used by some much less savoury individuals in order to justify the dog-whistles that they've come up with where the insinuation is enough.

5 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Hmmm...while I would agree, the same argument has been used by some much less savoury individuals in order to justify the dog-whistles that they've come up with where the insinuation is enough.

What I take from Lineker's comment is that things start with language and can progress from there. I am not suggesting a British government would do this but some on far right here would be happy if things did

18 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

What I take from Lineker's comment is that things start with language and can progress from there. I am not suggesting a British government would do this but some on far right here would be happy if things did

Yeah, I'm totally with you there.

I just don't want to resort to the same inference-related arguments regarding "that's not what he actually said" that those who would like to see such things progress from language would also use.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxdiamond said:

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

So it's a dog-whistle even though it's factually accurate?

That's an interesting paradox.

Thanks for the clarification.

I would of course wholeheartedly agree and also think that the more people call out laws that could well develop into things like that, the less chance they have of happening.

Others' 'lack of knowledge' is not an excuse. By bringing 1930s Germany into any conversation to describe an organisation, you know exactly what sort of comparison the man on the Clapham omnibus is going to make, Lineker has to take responsibility for that.

The same argument can be made to support the Govt. They've not TECHNICALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! said they want to kick all migrants out to appease their right-wing Brexit supporting voter base. If you accusing the Govt of doing just that, you have a lack of knowledge in your book.

22 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

This the problem with Twitter, how do you condense and adequately articulate paralells between the rise of Nazism and their government to to specific aspects of current government policies in 280 charcters?  You literally can't and therefore simple statements like "This is just an immeasurably cruel policy directed at the most vulnerable people in language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the '30s, and I'm out of order?" can be construed in so many ways you end up with both sides of the divide shouting foul as we've seen.

You can't - that's not what Twitter is for. He has made a statement containing 280 or less characters that is open to a whole range of conclusions for which the end user can argue amongst themselves about. That is exactly what has happened. Great

1 minute ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Others' 'lack of knowledge' is not an excuse. By bringing 1930s Germany into any conversation to describe an organisation, you know exactly what sort of comparison the man on the Clapham omnibus is going to make, Lineker has to take responsibility for that.

The same argument can be made to support the Govt. They've not TECHNICALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! said they want to kick all migrants out to appease their right-wing Brexit supporting voter base. If you accusing the Govt of doing just that, you have a lack of knowledge in your book.

Right, hence me being leery about using the same argument.

However, purely dispassionately, at least some of the factual parallels are reasonably salient and that's worth drawing attention to, even if the method and framing of communication has to be considered very, very carefully - perhaps more carefully than Lineker did.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

I would suggest the man on the bus check things out if taking an interest in a tweet. I've not accused government of anything. I suspect those supporting the blue party rather than the blue club got the hump with Gary because it was a criticism. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Right, hence me being leery about using the same argument.

However, purely dispassionately, at least some of the factual parallels are reasonably salient and that's worth drawing attention to, even if the method and framing of communication has to be considered very, very carefully - perhaps more carefully than Lineker did.

Exactly agreed, his points make sense but in my book they fall into the 'must try harder to get your point across to the man on the Clapham omnibus' test. Not saying he's wrong, but he has to understand he's not acted perfectly in this case.

9 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

I would suggest the man on the bus check things out if taking an interest in a tweet. I've not accused government of anything. I suspect those supporting the blue party rather than the blue club got the hump with Gary because it was a criticism. 

Dude the whole point of the man on the bus analogy is that they should not have to check things out, it's up to the user to make their point understandable and transparent without the man having to educate themselves further. If I started discussing diverting corporate profits through a trust fund in Cayman to you, I guarantee the first thing you'd think is 'tax cheats' Not true at all, how would you react if I sneered to you to go and educate yourself?

Not directly accusing you of bad-mouthing the Govt, I typed 'you' as a general term

6 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Exactly agreed, his points make sense but in my book they fall into the 'must try harder to get your point across to the man on the Clapham omnibus' test. Not saying he's wrong, but he has to understand he's not acted perfectly in this case.

Dude the whole point of the man on the bus analogy is that they should not have to check things out, it's up to the user to make their point understandable and transparent without the man having to educate themselves further. If I started discussing diverting corporate profits through a trust fund in Cayman to you, I guarantee the first thing you'd think is 'tax cheats' Not true at all, how would you react if I sneered to you to go and educate yourself?

Not directly accusing you of bad-mouthing the Govt, I typed 'you' as a general term

I doubt the man on the bus was as worried as the Tory MPs  were about the tweet anyway. If anyone was tweeting about your Cayman trust fund story and I was interested I would try and find out more to see if anything in it. 

3 hours ago, Captain... said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-64939558

Tiny data centre used to heat public swimming pool.

Loving this sort of symbiotic thinking, maybe there is hope...

It's not a new thing, but is something massively overlooked in most power and electrical systems. It's called cogeneration and is used to increase the 2nd order efficiency of a system. Sadly most people measure system efficiency on 1st order principals which is inadequate. 

Many years ago, when I was a young Mech Eng student, my final year project ended in me drilling holes in the engine block of the on-site power generation unit. We hooked up the bore holes to the buildings hot water system and voila, "free" hot water. Should add we made sure the engine block could handle it first. The article is a good example though now that data centers are everywhere and the waste heat they produce is enormous. 

Slight tangent, but solar panels work better when cooler. Some of the new panels have water cooling attached which can connect to domestic hot water systems. You get more efficient pv panels and top up the water system with waste heat.

Great stuff. 

24 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Sunak has been contacted by police after his dog spotted off the lead at Hyde park. What ridiculous world are we living in

Not bothered who the dog belongs to but dog should have been on a lead so owner can't complain. Of course police have more important duties but then again there has been large increase in number of dog attacks resulting in serious injuries etc

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Sunak has been contacted by police after his dog spotted off the lead at Hyde park. What ridiculous world are we living in

How did the complainant know it was Sunak's dog?

25 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

Thing is if that's the rules then people need to follow it. If it was me or you it's unlikely that someone would contact the police, but if they caught us they'd likely pull us up on it. But if you're extremely famous, like say the PM, you know some dickhead is gonna spot you a throw you under a bus. You're held you higher standard, so you really have to watch what you're doing. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Thing is if that's the rules then people need to follow it. If it was me or you it's unlikely that someone would contact the police, but if they caught us they'd likely pull us up on it. But if you're extremely famous, like say the PM, you know some dickhead is gonna spot you a throw you under a bus. You're held you higher standard, so you really have to watch what you're doing. 

I just think it’s a ridiculous waste of police resource. Is a yellow lab not a banned breed! Police are apparently overstretched yet have the time to do this. Makes me chuckle. If you look at dog attacks 95% of the time is down to the breed or the carelessness of the owner 

4 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

I just think it’s a ridiculous waste of police resource. Is a yellow lab not a banned breed! Police are apparently overstretched yet have the time to do this. Makes me chuckle. If you look at dog attacks 95% of the time is down to the breed or the carelessness of the owner 

Plenty of dogs not on banned list cause serious bites including labs. The owner was careless to let it off the lead in park where not allowed. 

Great news in the budget - 30 hours free childcare for 1 and 2 years olds (currently 3+ only) 

Shame it wasn’t a few years ago would have saved me thousands 😂 well overdue and pleased for anyone that will benefit from it. 

3 minutes ago, Foxdiamond said:

Plenty of dogs not on banned list cause serious bites including labs. The owner was careless to let it off the lead in park where not allowed. 

I’m sure there is I’m citing the majority of cases here - shame you don’t get that. Anyhow my lab is soft as sh*t - doesn’t even bark at the postman 😂