Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

7 hours ago, RobHawk said:

I know just the team for the job 

https://images.app.goo.gl/ePsMpLppNSGV6hpHA

Cue the music!

Though, judging by the comments on the Ukraine thread I've got to point out the inconsistency between some folks wanting such enforcement for direct crimes against other humans (like warfare) and seemingly not wanting it for more indirect things that could well end up taking more lives (such an organisation with teeth would hugely benefit international cooperation on a variety of necessary issues).

Of course, the latter hasn't happened - yet.

9 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Yeah, it's purely symbolic, and until there's an international agency that actually has teeth beyond what the nation states have or grant them, it always will be.

What a terrifying thought.  How would such an agency gain its authority if not from the member states?

Meanwhile, this may be symbolic is that Putin will now not travel to a country likeley to arrest him, it does restrict his movements.  No running off to South America for a start.

2 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

What a terrifying thought.  How would such an agency gain its authority if not from the member states?

Meanwhile, this may be symbolic is that Putin will now not travel to a country likeley to arrest him, it does restrict his movements.  No running off to South America for a start.

Yeah, quis custodiet ipsos custodes clearly does apply so that solution has a problem all of its own. Thing is though, without it, the leaders of the bigger states will keep being able to treat the smaller ones like shit if they so wish, with pretty much impunity (yeah, Putin won't be able to go to a few places, I don't think that will overly bother him much).

It's a dilemma either way, really.

6 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Yeah, quis custodiet ipsos custodes clearly does apply so that solution has a problem all of its own. Thing is though, without it, the leaders of the bigger states will keep being able to treat the smaller ones like shit if they so wish, with pretty much impunity (yeah, Putin won't be able to go to a few places, I don't think that will overly bother him much).

It's a dilemma either way, really.

Agreed, he’ll go where he wants and no one can stop him. Putin and Xi rule the world. Imagine if he calls up Ecuador and says he’s coming to hide for a bit. The reply won’t be ‘erm sorry no can do pal you’ve got an arrest warrant haven’t you’ 

24 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Agreed, he’ll go where he wants and no one can stop him. Putin and Xi rule the world. Imagine if he calls up Ecuador and says he’s coming to hide for a bit. The reply won’t be ‘erm sorry no can do pal you’ve got an arrest warrant haven’t you’ 

"Might Makes Right" as the guiding star, yes.

At this point given what is known about the future, it's difficult to say that the cure (in the form of an international organisation that has enforcing teeth at least in some regards) is worse than the affliction if it is allowed to continue.

But that is purely conjectural on my part, I've no proof either way.

NB. I'd say on the other side, various US luminaries can also do the same for the same reason.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

"Might Makes Right" as the guiding star, yes.

At this point given what is known about the future, it's difficult to say that the cure (in the form of an international organisation that has enforcing teeth at least in some regards) is worse than the affliction if it is allowed to continue.

But that is purely conjectural on my part, I've no proof either way.

NB. I'd say on the other side, various US luminaries can also do the same for the same reason.

US luminaries can do as they like because they too are not signatories to the ICC …..

• Like 1

I was going to put this in the Madeleine McCann thread but in reality this piece is about a lot more than that particular sad story.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/mar/18/my-mother-troll-of-madeleine-mccann-parents

The question the bloke poses towards the end, is a good one and I don't have an answer for it: (on online trolls) “If you treat the symptom, you never get to the heart of the problem. The problem is: why are people so angry and afraid?”

9 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Trump claiming he's about to be arrested on Tuesday. Grab the popcorn.

I'll believe it when I see it, but here's hoping.

5 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I was going to put this in the Madeleine McCann thread but in reality this piece is about a lot more than that particular sad story.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/mar/18/my-mother-troll-of-madeleine-mccann-parents

The question the bloke poses towards the end, is a good one and I don't have an answer for it: (on online trolls) “If you treat the symptom, you never get to the heart of the problem. The problem is: why are people so angry and afraid?”

I think they always have been, it's just that such fear and anger has now been monetised and so it's provoked and encouraged by those who want to make money from outrage whenever possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

I think they always have been, it's just that such fear and anger has now been monetised and so it's provoked and encouraged by those who want to make money from outrage whenever possible.

All you used to be able to do was sell folk crap newspapers. So many more opportunities for grift now

"The Cabinet Office says the service will be secure, free to receive and will not collect personal information such as someone's telephone number, identity or location."

My trust in this administration is at such a point that I don't believe a single thing they say.

58 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Don't know why the UK hasn't had this service before. Numerous other places have had it for years.

That’s kinda fascinating that they don’t.

We abduction/missing persons notifications.  Severe weather and if something major happens.

4 minutes ago, marbles said:

That’s kinda fascinating that they don’t.

We abduction/missing persons notifications.  Severe weather and if something major happens.

Yeah, it's been a staple over here in the Far East for as long as I've been here too, for the same reasons.

Just now, leicsmac said:

Yeah, it's been a staple over here in the Far East for as long as I've been here too, for the same reasons.

Geez, I guess living in the UK is like living in the stone ages.

Has anyone told them about indoor plumbing yet?

:)

1 minute ago, marbles said:

Geez, I guess living in the UK is like living in the stone ages.

Has anyone told them about indoor plumbing yet?

:)

Honestly, unless I've spent too much time away and missed developments, public infrastructure in the UK like transportation and communication (outside London in any case) really seems rather far behind other comparable nations.

Perhaps someone might explain how I'm mistaken on that, if I am.