Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

5 hours ago, The Doctor said:

at no point did I say there should be no punishment, what I said is that punishment should not be the primary focus and the focus should be on rehabilitation and ensuring we don't have a permanent prison population but instead a steady stream of people who have reformed and are ready to contribute positively to their community, which is of greater social and economic benefit than just locking people up and forgetting about them 

5 hours ago, Otis said:

After they have served their punishment I have no issues with this, but not in place of.

I think there's rough agreement here at least.

Personally, I think the link between rehabilitation and reduced re-offending is obvious and it's also obvious the US and UK don't do enough rehabilitation, simply because of their high re-offending rate compared to other OECD nations. So yeah, give long sentences as punishment, but have programs in place so that the person can actually (if they wish) become a productive member of society once they came out rather than dismissing everyone who sets foot in jail as a lost cause.

29 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

However, two wrongs don't make a right and people being murdered is no justification whatsoever for the state to kill an innocent person and that being dismissed as just "collateral damage" or something.

The point I was attempting to make - is that the person convicted (rightly or wrongly) is certainly not the only victim.

Its something a lot of people seem to forget when this type of topic comes up.

3 minutes ago, marbles said:

The point I was attempting to make - is that the person convicted (rightly or wrongly) is certainly not the only victim.

Its something a lot of people seem to forget when this type of topic comes up.

Can't speak for everyone else, but I certainly consider that too.

And the obvious conclusion to draw is that just because there are victims there really shouldn't be more victims, only ones chosen by the state rather than criminals.

...and Trump pushing the victim narrative hard, as it's the best way to see him challenge next year.

I just hope the prosecution have an ironclad case here, he's convicted, and that everyone outside the hardcore brownshirts won't vote for him again.

35 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

...and Trump pushing the victim narrative hard, as it's the best way to see him challenge next year.

I just hope the prosecution have an ironclad case here, he's convicted, and that everyone outside the hardcore brownshirts won't vote for him again.

Trump knows how to put himself in the best light. 

IMO this seems like a weak sauce reason to bring charges against him and will feed into the them against us narrative. No chance biden beats trump in round 2.

l wouldnt be surprised if this case doesn't even go to trial if his lawyers have their way

10 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Trump knows how to put himself in the best light. 

IMO this seems like a weak sauce reason to bring charges against him and will feed into the them against us narrative. No chance biden beats trump in round 2.

l wouldnt be surprised if this case doesn't even go to trial if his lawyers have their way

You could be right. I hope you're not - same as 2020.

I guess we'll find out soon enough either way.

9 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

You could be right. I hope you're not - same as 2020.

I guess we'll find out soon enough either way.

Yes, i got that one very wrong lol.

Suppose it depends on who wins the republican ticket. Does this case make him the republican nominee? I would think this might tilt the edge in hia favour over DeSantis  but  who knows.

What do you think of the charges? Worth pursuing or not? I mean he can be convicted and still run,  win and technically govern.

26 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Yes, i got that one very wrong lol.

Suppose it depends on who wins the republican ticket. Does this case make him the republican nominee? I would think this might tilt the edge in hia favour over DeSantis  but  who knows.

What do you think of the charges? Worth pursuing or not? I mean he can be convicted and still run,  win and technically govern.

I think the guy is certainly guilty of some skullduggery and falsifying business records seems like just another day for him - whether the powers that be can prove it to a jury is the big question.

AFAIC anything that removes him from the political equation as much as possible, so long as it can be proven, is worth pursuing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Many Trump supporters (even outside the brownshirts) actually BELIEVE that Democrats EAT BABIES.

Nothing short of Trump's death (which will be the subject of massive conspiracy theories) will end the lunatics and right wingers support of him.

1 minute ago, ozleicester said:

Many Trump supporters (even outside the brownshirts) actually BELIEVE that Democrats EAT BABIES.

Nothing short of Trump's death (which will be the subject of massive conspiracy theories) will end the lunatics and right wingers support of him.

Many? How many

3 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

...Yeah, so you're not going to stop that.

The thing is getting enough of those who haven't made their mind up onside.

2 minutes ago, somebum said:

Many? How many

Probably a rather interesting minority, but enough to make them...well, interesting.

13 minutes ago, somebum said:

Many? How many

Many more than i wouldve thought...Id recomend reading/ listening to/watching some of the investigations into Qanon and its supporters.*

There are many many more than i ever thought was possible.

*This sounds like a "do yur research sheeple" but what other option is there? 
If people dont recognise the danger of these people we are going to see their continued growth, there is a reason we have Neo Nazis proudly marching in Australian streets

Edit ..lol if the below was true.. and i dont seriously think it can be... that would make about 30 million Americans believers lol  but what if it was 13 million, or 3 million?

Some 22% of Americans believe that a “storm” is coming, 18% think violence might be necessary to save the country and 16% hold that the government, media and financial worlds are controlled by Satan-worshipping pedophiles, according to four surveys carried out last year by the Public Religion Research Institute (PRRI) think tank.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/feb/23/qanon-believers-increased-america-study-finds

Edited by ozleicester

The husband of former first minister Nicola Sturgeon has been arrested in connection with an investigation into Scottish National Party finances.

And now we know why she resigned. Pretty smart tbh, getting your pick as leader in before your husband was charged and your image tarnished. Very smart. 

5 hours ago, ozleicester said:

Many more than i wouldve thought...Id recomend reading/ listening to/watching some of the investigations into Qanon and its supporters.*

There are many many more than i ever thought was possible.

*This sounds like a "do yur research sheeple" but what other option is there? 
If people dont recognise the danger of these people we are going to see their continued growth, there is a reason we have Neo Nazis proudly marching in Australian streets

Edit ..lol if the below was true.. and i dont seriously think it can be... that would make about 30 million Americans believers lol  but what if it was 13 million, or 3 million?

Some 22% of Americans believe that a “storm” is coming, 18% think violence might be necessary to save the country and 16% hold that the government, media and financial worlds are controlled by Satan-worshipping pedophiles, according to four surveys carried out last year by the Public Religion Research Institute (PRRI) think tank.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/feb/23/qanon-believers-increased-america-study-finds

Why is it the Satan-worshipping pedophiles always cop the bad press?

4 hours ago, Innovindil said:

The husband of former first minister Nicola Sturgeon has been arrested in connection with an investigation into Scottish National Party finances.

And now we know why she resigned. Pretty smart tbh, getting your pick as leader in before your husband was charged and your image tarnished. Very smart. 

Keir Starmer this morning:

nicola-nicola-sturgeon.gif

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Something seems a bit dodgy, you don't need all this lot to seize 4 laptops. Looks to me more like they're searching for dead bodies in the garden, Fred West style

skynews-police-scotland-peter-murrell_6111580.jpg

Edited by yorkie1999
  • Haha 1