Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

7 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Wow if Elon musk ‘isn’t very bright’ I’d hate to think what you and I are

Eh, I would suggest he's actually not particularly smart at all. Worth remembering he didn't invent Tesla or PayPal, just bought them out and called himself the creator, has invented his new form of transport which is just a flaming death trap tunnel (France and Italy worked that out a good few decades ago), SpaceX has a bit of a shady history around getting government contracts because his mates are handing them out, his ownership of twitter is a clown car. He's a good self-promoter, I'll give him that, but he's all mouth and very little talent.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

Eh, I would suggest he's actually not particularly smart at all. Worth remembering he didn't invent Tesla or PayPal, just bought them out and called himself the creator, has invented his new form of transport which is just a flaming death trap tunnel (France and Italy worked that out a good few decades ago), SpaceX has a bit of a shady history around getting government contracts because his mates are handing them out, his ownership of twitter is a clown car. He's a good self-promoter, I'll give him that, but he's all mouth and very little talent.

Influencer.

Many more around that are like him and are just empty barrels making the most noise. Unfortunately we live in a world where many people are simpletons following social media and believing everything on there to be true. 

It's people like Musk who are actually clever enough to know how to exploit the simpletons and then go on to become extremely wealthy and "influencial". 

Edited by Parafox

2 hours ago, The Doctor said:

Like others you are going down a self fulfilling hole to describe what you consider bright in a laughably narrow manner, IQ alone doesn’t denote bright. Given what he’s achieved it’s not a conversation, saying elon musk ‘isn’t very bright’ is a great example of someone who either isn’t very bright or is jealous 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Like others you are going down a self fulfilling hole to describe what you consider bright in a laughably narrow manner, IQ alone doesn’t denote bright. Given what he’s achieved it’s not a conversation, saying elon musk ‘isn’t very bright’ is a great example of someone who either isn’t very bright or is jealous 

Or allowing politics to skew their perception.

There was a time he was respected, now he is the new bad guy.  
Can’t imagine why that is :ph34r:

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

eh, no. he's not smart, not in the way the musk fanboys claim. His big designs are laughably shit (cybertruck for instance is basically "what if we invented a car that would kill everyone involved in a minor collision", his Tesla tunnels recreate every single lack of safety feature from the Mont Blanc fire). He's a salesman who got a massive boost from being an emerald mine nepo baby, that's about it

• Like 2

in actual news though, rather than discussing the world's second most divorced man (a title held in perpetuity by Graham Linehan), Keir Starmer has done his Easter church PR stunt, and for the second time in three years, he's visited a megachurch which practices LGBT conversion therapy...

genuinely amazing how utterly shit this man can be, and how badly the Tories have hammered the meltdown button to be trailing him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

eh, no. he's not smart, not in the way the musk fanboys claim. His big designs are laughably shit (cybertruck for instance is basically "what if we invented a car that would kill everyone involved in a minor collision", his Tesla tunnels recreate every single lack of safety feature from the Mont Blanc fire). He's a salesman who got a massive boost from being an emerald mine nepo baby, that's about it

You’ve literally done exactly what I said in my first sentence. What you consider bright appears to be laughably narrow. Someone who has driven through multiple business concepts to fruition and high valuations is clearly ‘bright’ - most people, I’m sure you work with them too, are negative and haven’t got the impetus to see anything through. I’m sure much like Cummings he’s an idiot, but there’s no need to be jealous and find obscure ways to downplay his obvious success and claim he’s not bright. It’s like city fans who find any way to say Kane is useless, it’s weird 

4 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

You’ve literally done exactly what I said in my first sentence. What you consider bright appears to be laughably narrow. Someone who has driven through multiple business concepts to fruition and high valuations is clearly ‘bright’ - most people, I’m sure you work with them too, are negative and haven’t got the impetus to see anything through. I’m sure much like Cummings he’s an idiot, but there’s no need to be jealous and find obscure ways to downplay his obvious success and claim he’s not bright. It’s like city fans who find any way to say Kane is useless, it’s weird 

ok, name 2. Remember that he didn't found PayPal or Tesla for starters

12 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Did I say found? You are very narrow minded or have a mega blind spot against Elon musk for some reason. Cummings didn’t ‘found’ the idea of brexit but he drove it through. 

I hate Arsenal and hate Kane but they arsenal a top class team and Kane is brilliant. There, I said it. I don’t understand how you can twist words and arguments to suit your clear biases against available evidence 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

Zip2

SpaceX

He’s also the person that released Teslas patents so that more manufacturers could create electric cars - you know, to help the environment.  

5 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

If  I might flip this around, you considering business acumen only as a form of intelligence is likewise narrow.

Stepping in here again, Musk is smart in that specific way, and not as smart as he thinks he is in others, as per above. And I say that as someone who thinks SpaceX was and is an absolute necessity to the future of mankind, given the lack of movement from government areas in an absolutely necessary field in the last 50 years.

2 hours ago, marbles said:

This world will start to become a better place once people stop taking political affiliation into account when make decisions and forming opinions.  

Yes.

And it will also become a better place once people around the world stop legislating other demographics of people as things and denying them rights both complex and basic and value the future over quick bucks in the present - two reasons for people judging the aforementioned political affiliations (not in Musk's case specifically, but in general).

I wonder when that might happen.

My point was that you should not immediately discount someone, or their accomplishments just because of how they vote.

Just like your point is that all people should be treated fairly and equally, which I agree with.

To say “I refuse to change my mind about one until I get the other” is childish, immature, and means this world is truly F’d.  I certainly hope that’s not where we are as people.

*for the record, not implying that’s what you were saying @leicsmac

2 minutes ago, marbles said:

My point was that you should not immediately discount someone, or their accomplishments just because of how they vote.

Just like your point is that all people should be treated fairly and equally, which I agree with.

To say “I refuse to change my mind about one until I get the other” is childish, immature, and means this world is truly F’d.  I certainly hope that’s not where we are as people.

*for the record, not implying that’s what you were saying @leicsmac

Certainly. People are complex.

However, the aforementioned issues do exist and therefore some judging is going to be, must be, done to affect necessary change.

For me there's a list of reasons why the world is in trouble - casual lack of regard for the future and social media acting as a force multiplier for misinformation being in the top five.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

therefore some judging is going to be, must be, done to affect necessary change.

I know of some racists, transphobes and homophobes that agree with you 1000% on the part above.

5 minutes ago, marbles said:

I know of some racists, transphobes and homophobes that agree with you 1000% on the part above.

Yep.

But allowing them free reign to do their judging isn't really a solution either, is it? Not if history is any guide.

40 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Yep.

But allowing them free reign to do their judging isn't really a solution either, is it? Not if history is any guide.

I wouldn’t mind one day hearing what changes you would make, if you were in charge of say the US.

What laws and/freedoms you would abolish or grant - if you had absolute power.

Edited by marbles

3 minutes ago, marbles said:

Yeah. Engaging in bad acts and feeling righteous about it is a slippery slope that can go to a bad place damn quickly. It's very, very easy to become the mask.

But....again, I'm seeing a lot of warnings about the problems here, but no real alternative workable solutions to the very real problems posited above. Why?

8 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Yeah. Engaging in bad acts and feeling righteous about it is a slippery slope that can go to a bad place damn quickly. It's very, very easy to become the mask.

But....again, I'm seeing a lot of warnings about the problems here, but no real alternative workable solutions to the very real problems posited above. Why?

LOL - you must have quoted before I revised my post.

After thinking about what you had said, I changed it to the below

14 minutes ago, marbles said:

I wouldn’t mind one day hearing what changes you would make, if you were in charge of say the US.

What laws and/freedoms you would abolish or grant - if you had absolute power.