Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

4 minutes ago, marbles said:

LOL - you must have quoted before I revised my post.

After thinking about what you had said, I changed it to the below

Ha, I wouldn't want that kind of power. I know it would corrupt me, as it almost always does to most anyone.

The only two things I could say with certainty that I would change that I would be sure would be a net good is to repeal Citizens United and vastly reduce the influence donations can have on the political process, and engage in a crash program to get all energy generation to be either renewable or fission-powered by 2040. And offer as much help as I could to other countries to do the same.

But then, going back to the topic at hand, the moral dilemma of how far one can go to right injustices before the person engages in unjust acts themselves is an age-old debate that's pretty much unsolveable, and the only thing I'll add is that everyone with power must be accountable to someone else. No matter their position or intent. (And accountable in the practical sense as well as the theoretical one, because those two often sadly differ.)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, leicsmac said:

If  I might flip this around, you considering business acumen only as a form of intelligence is likewise narrow.

Stepping in here again, Musk is smart in that specific way, and not as smart as he thinks he is in others, as per above. And I say that as someone who thinks SpaceX was and is an absolute necessity to the future of mankind, given the lack of movement from government areas in an absolutely necessary field in the last 50 years.

Yes.

And it will also become a better place once people around the world stop legislating other demographics of people as things and denying them rights both complex and basic and value the future over quick bucks in the present - two reasons for people judging the aforementioned political affiliations (not in Musk's case specifically, but in general).

I wonder when that might happen.

Hahahah I’ve not said that. The world would be a much easier place if people read what was in front of them instead of reading what they want to read before arguing 

Before everyone once again goes down their own rabbit hole in a futile way to dodge the question, let me AGAIN repeat the original quote ‘Elon musk isn’t very bright.’ None of you can disprove this lol. ‘He’s only a salesman, he’s only got business acumen.’ He’s world class at both, so is ‘bright’ at a minimum

Posters here are for some reason mega biased against nerd boy musk which is v weird, none on you know him or have ever met him. the whatsboutery to prove he’s a dunce, he’s not even a divisive figure like kane, he’s a playground freak, why hate him.

9 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Did I say found? You are very narrow minded or have a mega blind spot against Elon musk for some reason. Cummings didn’t ‘found’ the idea of brexit but he drove it through. 

I hate Arsenal and hate Kane but they arsenal a top class team and Kane is brilliant. There, I said it. I don’t understand how you can twist words and arguments to suit your clear biases against available evidence 

Exact opposite of a blind spot, I see through his self-promotional bullshit. I'd compare him with Jordan Peterson. Musk is a very competent marketer, Peterson the same with clinical psychology. Neither stay in their lanes and have become popular for their sheer idiocy: Musk being possibly the worst designer and engineer in the automotive industry, Peterson's abysmal legal analysis.

9 hours ago, marbles said:

Zip2

SpaceX

He’s also the person that released Teslas patents so that more manufacturers could create electric cars - you know, to help the environment.  

SpaceX sure, honestly I'd never even heard of Zip2.

I would clarify that he opened up the older patents which very few manufacturers will be using on account of the tech being a decade out of date.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Hahahah I’ve not said that. The world would be a much easier place if people read what was in front of them instead of reading what they want to read before arguing 

Before everyone once again goes down their own rabbit hole in a futile way to dodge the question, let me AGAIN repeat the original quote ‘Elon musk isn’t very bright.’ None of you can disprove this lol. ‘He’s only a salesman, he’s only got business acumen.’ He’s world class at both, so is ‘bright’ at a minimum

Posters here are for some reason mega biased against nerd boy musk which is v weird, none on you know him or have ever met him. the whatsboutery to prove he’s a dunce, he’s not even a divisive figure like kane, he’s a playground freak, why hate him.

Given the context of the conversation, the implication was obvious imo.

I would hope that my own commentary in the rest of that post on the matter is clear and reasonable.

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Given the context of the conversation, the implication was obvious imo.

I would hope that my own commentary in the rest of that post on the matter is clear and reasonable.

Hahah not at all obvious. I’ll ask the question AGAIN, do you honestly think musk is ‘not very bright’ nothing will happen if you admit it, I promise 

18 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Exact opposite of a blind spot, I see through his self-promotional bullshit. I'd compare him with Jordan Peterson. Musk is a very competent marketer, Peterson the same with clinical psychology. Neither stay in their lanes and have become popular for their sheer idiocy: Musk being possibly the worst designer and engineer in the automotive industry, Peterson's abysmal legal analysis.

SpaceX sure, honestly I'd never even heard of Zip2.

I would clarify that he opened up the older patents which very few manufacturers will be using on account of the tech being a decade out of date.

‘See through’ lol. You don’t know him, you’ve never met him. You have no idea. This is akin the to ‘top is selling the club I can just FEEL it’ comments, you don’t know what you’re talking about.

’A very competent marketer’ is at least some progress. Outweighed by ‘possibly the worst designer in…industry’ ludicrous statement unless you hold a senior, global position in said industry.

What has musk done to you all? Called your mums a slag? How can you all be this stubborn and jealous about a gobby nerd

48 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Hahah not at all obvious. I’ll ask the question AGAIN, do you honestly think musk is ‘not very bright’ nothing will happen if you admit it, I promise 

I've made my position on the matter clear above, apologies if it wasn't. But to quote:

"Stepping in here again, Musk is smart in that specific way, and not as smart as he thinks he is in others, as per above. And I say that as someone who thinks SpaceX was and is an absolute necessity to the future of mankind, given the lack of movement from government areas in an absolutely necessary field in the last 50 years."

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I've made my position on the matter clear above, apologies if it wasn't. But to quote:

"Stepping in here again, Musk is smart in that specific way, and not as smart as he thinks he is in others, as per above. And I say that as someone who thinks SpaceX was and is an absolute necessity to the future of mankind, given the lack of movement from government areas in an absolutely necessary field in the last 50 years."

Ok sorry for some reason I can’t see the usernames of posts that’s don’t quote me!! Apologies 

• Like 1

On a tangential theme:

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-65226481

The BBC is objecting to a new label describing it as "government funded media" on its main Twitter account.

The corporation has contacted the social media giant over the designation on the @BBC account to resolve the issue "as soon as possible".

In a separate email seeking to clarify his earlier comments, Mr Musk wrote: "We are aiming for maximum transparency and accuracy. Linking to ownership and source of funds probably makes sense. I do think media organizations should be self-aware and not falsely claim the complete absence of bias.

"All organizations have bias, some obviously much more than others. I should note that I follow BBC News on Twitter, because I think it is among the least biased."

• Haha 2

FWIW I think outside of the standard press-release agencies like Reuters and Associated Press, I would still maintain the Beeb is as close to without bias as any large news outlet is. The flak it gets from both ends of the spectrum is evidence enough of that for me.

Of course, there is a weakness there when it comes to such matters of science where things are very, very clear indeed and to satisfy the need to appear without bias they give equal weight (bolded for emphasis, a platform is fine, equal weight on a reputable platform is not) to an antivaxxer or climate change ignorer.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Religious leader in "nonce" scandal.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-65229327

Oh dear. From a Western perspective, it looks very odd. So tongue touching in their culture is a sign of respect and affection. It does suggest how far behind the modern world they seem to be. Mainly by being isolated from that world.

6 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Are China not going to be sanctioned over the Taiwan situation?..

Why?

If the UN (or similar) is going to do that, then they need to do the same every time the US runs exercises off North Korea, for instance. To say nothing of what they've done in the Middle East with no or few sanctions visited.

"It's our side doing it" really isn't a valid excuse.

• Like 2

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-65247927

From his high rise office window, Erling Thompson watches the Seoul skyline fade into a yellow-grey cloud as fine dust from sandstorms in China blankets South Korea.

On the streets below, people wear face masks and hooded jackets to ride out another dust-covered day that is no less miserable and unhealthy, even if it is expected at this time of the year.

Yellow dust is a seasonal ordeal for millions in North Asia, as sandstorms from the Gobi desert that borders China and Mongolia ride springtime winds to reach the Korean peninsula and this year, farther east to Japan.

Yeah, it's a bit grim right now.