Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

13 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Bridgen booted out of the Tory party. One less of our wonderful Leicestershire MP’s. 

He's a horrible shit of a man and deserves everything that comes to him

5 hours ago, Lionator said:

Bridgen booted out of the Tory party. One less of our wonderful Leicestershire MP’s. 

Had to happen since he disappeared down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole.

It is fascinating how that just consumes people, sometimes seemingly at random.

Ronnie deSantis on a whirlwind tour to get his name recognition up then. Japan, Korea (right now), then Israel and the UK.

As if all of those places weren't overburdened with facile and egotistical politicians as it is. At least so far they've seemingly had no time for his lackadaisical attitude towards a disease that killed rather a few of his voter base.

• Haha 1

In related news:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65404805

"The US and South Korea have secured a landmark deal to counter the North Korean nuclear threat.

Washington has agreed to periodically deploy US nuclear-armed submarines to South Korea and involve Seoul in its nuclear planning operations.

In return, South Korea has agreed to not develop its own nuclear weapons."

A fair outcome. The ROK developing its own nuclear weapons would be highly destabilising, this gives a guarantee of their safety without them have to do that.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Innovindil said:

An advert which suggests eating fish is the same as eating pets has been put up by an animal rights charity near a seaside fish and chip shop.

The electronic billboard advert in Cleethorpes, by the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (Peta), shows a fishmonger holding up a fish which changes into a dead cat.

Urging people to "go vegan", Peta said fish were "friends, not food".

My cats that enjoy a nice bit of fish:

LzbQ8tB.gif

52 minutes ago, Jaspa said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/sunderland-cctv-bench-b2326630.html

Was going to post him into the "Absolute w***ers of our time thread", but see it's titled differently than I remembered.

Interestingly, apparently it wouldve been less offensive to kill and eat it (even while masturbating)

6 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Ronnie deSantis on a whirlwind tour to get his name recognition up then. Japan, Korea (right now), then Israel and the UK.

As if all of those places weren't overburdened with facile and egotistical politicians as it is. At least so far they've seemingly had no time for his lackadaisical attitude towards a disease that killed rather a few of his voter base.

Am I missing something,  sounds like he got it right...

During 2020 and 2021, scientists and media outlets gave mixed reviews of DeSantis' handling of the COVID-19 pandemic.[142][143][144] He lifted restrictions earlier than most other state governors, but implemented measures to protect the elderly.[145] DeSantis managed to avoid the dire consequences many predicted, Florida's death rate was near the national average, and the state's economy fared better than others.[145][146] By 2023, many political scientists acknowledged that DeSantis' management of the pandemic may have benefited him in his reelection campaign, and he was credited with turning "his coronavirus policies into a parable of American freedom".[147][148]

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Otis said:

Am I missing something,  sounds like he got it right...

During 2020 and 2021, scientists and media outlets gave mixed reviews of DeSantis' handling of the COVID-19 pandemic.[142][143][144] He lifted restrictions earlier than most other state governors, but implemented measures to protect the elderly.[145] DeSantis managed to avoid the dire consequences many predicted, Florida's death rate was near the national average, and the state's economy fared better than others.[145][146] By 2023, many political scientists acknowledged that DeSantis' management of the pandemic may have benefited him in his reelection campaign, and he was credited with turning "his coronavirus policies into a parable of American freedom".[147][148]

"By August 2021, amid a record in new cases within the state, Florida had become the state with the highest per capita hospitalizations for COVID-19."

"According to the CDC, life expectancy during 2020 dropped in Florida to 77.5 years from 79 years in 2019; that fall of 1.5 years in Florida was less than the nationwide fall of 1.8 years."

"By April 2021, Florida was 27th out of 50 in both cases and deaths per capita."

So fair to middling and not nearly as bad as some then, with good PR making it look like he did better than most. Certainly a fair job and could have been a lot worse for him - look at Brazil and a few other places where restrictions cannot or were not implemented properly - but not getting it totally right either.

Edited by leicsmac

8 hours ago, Bordersfox said:

Haha, is that genuine or a wind up?!

Wind up - it was a ‘guest’ prank 

6 hours ago, leicsmac said:

"By August 2021, amid a record in new cases within the state, Florida had become the state with the highest per capita hospitalizations for COVID-19."

"According to the CDC, life expectancy during 2020 dropped in Florida to 77.5 years from 79 years in 2019; that fall of 1.5 years in Florida was less than the nationwide fall of 1.8 years."

"By April 2021, Florida was 27th out of 50 in both cases and deaths per capita."

So fair to middling and not nearly as bad as some then, with good PR making it look like he did better than most. Certainly a fair job and could have been a lot worse for him - look at Brazil and a few other places where restrictions cannot or were not implemented properly - but not getting it totally right either.

Not forgetting that Florida doesn’t really have any winter temps in which the virus thrived 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Not forgetting that Florida doesn’t really have any winter temps in which the virus thrived 

To this I say, California - the state with the toughest restrictions, most deaths and suffered some of the biggest economic drops - but hey, agenda.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

Levi Bellfield has made a fresh confession to the Chillenden murders (hopefully he won't retract this one). I've been disturbed by this case for years - the evidence against Michael Stone has always been virtually non-existent. Hopefully this will speed up his latest appeal...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-65410340

I watched the BBC documentary a few years back about Stone.  I can't remember the precise details now but I do recall being deeply troubled by his conviction after watching it.  I seem to recall amongst the experts called in by the BBC was a QC who was so convinced it was a miscarriage of justice he started working on Stone's behalf. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marbles said:

To this I say, California - the state with the toughest restrictions, most deaths and suffered some of the biggest economic drops - but hey, agenda.

Agenda?

in any case, florida across its major population density areas is way warmer than California through dec/jan/feb - and in addition sunshine is higher with it being further south.  We know solar was effective 

but it’s been pointed out that de Santis’ record was fairly middling overall - climate is a help (but evidence from Brazil and Mexico is relevant here ) 

Edited by st albans fox

5 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Agenda?

in any case, florida across its major population density areas is way warmer than California through dec/jan/feb - and in addition sunshine is higher with it being further south.  We know solar was effective 

but it’s been pointed out that de Santis’ record was fairly middling overall - climate is a help (but evidence from Brazil and Mexico is relevant here ) 

Yeah, apparently it's an agenda to point out the fact that in the US, those who follow right-wing voting patterns also tend to base their decision and policymaking process less on peer-reviewed science, usually either on account of religious viewpoints or because they simply do not want to be told what to do. Fair enough, I personally am happy to be agenda-driven in that way because I believe, with good reason, that it's the best way of actually keeping as many human beings alive as possible for as long as possible and as comfortably as possible.

And as you say, both climate and the healthcare infrastructure that the US does have (not great if you're poor but sure as hell better than a fair few places) meant that the cost of ignoring peer-reviewed science in that way was perhaps not quite as high as other places around the world where it was either ignored or governments simply didn't have the money/resources to act on it.

Edited by leicsmac

13 hours ago, Bordersfox said:

I watched the BBC documentary a few years back about Stone.  I can't remember the precise details now but I do recall being deeply troubled by his conviction after watching it.  I seem to recall amongst the experts called in by the BBC was a QC who was so convinced it was a miscarriage of justice he started working on Stone's behalf. 

It's astonishing that Stone was ever convicted. I don’t really have a strong view on Bellfield’s guilt as there is little evidence, as yet, to support it. However I’ve always felt that Stone’s conviction was unsafe. Literally the only evidence against him is a highly improbable cell 'confession' to Damien Daley, himself a convicted murderer as well as a known liar. Daley has apparently been overheard on several occasions saying that he lied about Stone's confession.

It's interesting that Stone apparently walks freely in the main wing at Frankland prison - completely unheard of for somebody convicted of child murder. Obviously this doesn't prove anything, but it seems that the rest of the prison population also believes that he didn't do it.

One day this case is going to be as notorious as Colin Stagg's wrongful conviction for murdering Rachel Nickell.

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 1