Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Also in the News - Part 2

Don't really understand what these guys expected would happen since their plan was essentially 

1) own the libs

2) ??????

3) futuristic city with flying cars .jpeg 

Edited by bovril
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, bovril said:

Don't really understand what these guys expected would happen since their plan was essentially 

1) own the libs

2) ??????

3) futuristic city with flying cars .jpeg 

He's basically saying Brexit has failed because we haven't done it properly. But if their entire vision for post-Brexit UK was that we'd morph into an ultra low-tax, low-regulation, laissez faire economy, then they're idiots. There never has been, and likely never will be, the political appetite for that model in this country. Liz Truss tried to make it a reality and was immediately kicked out of office. It just won't fly. So we're left with this miserable compromise of no longer having the economic benefits of being in the EU while also never being likely to adopt the 'Singapore-on-Thames' model that Farage and his ilk fantasise about. Hence, as Farage himself admits, it has been a failure.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ClaphamFox said:

He's basically saying Brexit has failed because we haven't done it properly. But if their entire vision for post-Brexit UK was that we'd morph into an ultra low-tax, low-regulation, laissez faire economy, then they're idiots. There never has been, and likely never will be, the political appetite for that model in this country. Liz Truss tried to make it a reality and was immediately kicked out of office. It just won't fly. So we're left with this miserable compromise of no longer having the economic benefits of being in the EU while also never being likely to adopt the 'Singapore-on-Thames' model that Farage and his ilk fantasise about. Hence, as Farage himself admits, it has been a failure.

If that's what they wanted then really it is impossible to deny that they misled the public. It was reasonably obvious in 2016 that wasn't the vision most Brexit voters had of the post-EU UK.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

Not to mention that Sunak has reneged on repealing all those pesky EU laws and regulations.  A miserable compromise indeed and one that was wholly foreseeable and entirely predictable. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bovril said:

Doesn't feel like much of a 'compromise' when we interpreted a 52/48 vote as a hard Brexit. 

Nope - they’d argue that the brexit we have isn’t hard enough and took way to long to get to this ‘half arsed’ point 

I guess it’s a bit like the first past the post election model we use - a minority of the electorate vote for a party and that party can govern to political extremes if it has a decent parliamentary majority 

a majority is a majority - the failure of the entire brexit situation is that the question was framed as a simple in/out when that option was simply never available in reality - wherever you are on the brexit spectrum, you can’t really deny that it was entirely an exercise in Tory naval gazing which will have an enormous affect on this country for decades (which may be positive eventually but someone who loses their sight over twenty years may not appreciate an around the world trip in year 20) 

Harry and Megan involved in car chase with paparazzi.  Can you imagine if he or Megan dies in the same way as Diana!. Whether he likes it or not he will be followed for the rest of his life. 

26 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

Harry and Megan involved in car chase with paparazzi.  Can you imagine if he or Megan dies in the same way as Diana!. Whether he likes it or not he will be followed for the rest of his life. 

By not wearing a seatbelt? 

52 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

If they were in the UK then this wouldn't have happened as the RF are protected from press intrusion.

Bet they are glad they escaped.*

*Assumes that any of their story actually happened.

On 16/05/2023 at 18:50, st albans fox said:

Nope - they’d argue that the brexit we have isn’t hard enough and took way to long to get to this ‘half arsed’ point 

I guess it’s a bit like the first past the post election model we use - a minority of the electorate vote for a party and that party can govern to political extremes if it has a decent parliamentary majority 

a majority is a majority - the failure of the entire brexit situation is that the question was framed as a simple in/out when that option was simply never available in reality - wherever you are on the brexit spectrum, you can’t really deny that it was entirely an exercise in Tory naval gazing which will have an enormous affect on this country for decades (which may be positive eventually but someone who loses their sight over twenty years may not appreciate an around the world trip in year 20) 

It’s a non argument really though as the only way Brexit could realistically be “harder” is if we stuck a hard border on Ireland, which would almost certainly lead to the rebirthing of the troubles and eventually the unification of Ireland (which is already the most likely scenario within the next 20 years because of Brexit), which no one outside of a few Brexit extremists genuinely ever wanted and absolutely no one would ever dare admit to public ally: It was always argued throughout the referendum from brexiteers and remainders alike that the CTA would remain after Brexit and there’d never be a hard border on Ireland.

What Farage and his other millionaire banker mates actually want is a Libertarian Utopia where they don’t have to pay any tax so that the poor people don’t have to get any benefits and the health service is all privatised so the rich people like them don’t have to wait behind poor people in queues for treatment.

That’s already something that could be achieved with Brexit in its current guise, I mean Switzerland, one of the most aggressively capitalist and libertarian societies in the world has far closer agreements with the EU than we do. There’s just no political will for it, outside of a few weirdo extremists like Farage, Rees-Mogg and Truss no one wants it. I mean they even got their wish under Liz Truss and it lasted about 2 days before they realised the economy would collapse. 

Are there genuinely people still out there who are still trying to genuinely hold on to the claim that Brexit was the right decision? With zero doubt in the back of their minds?  I find it hard to believe.

Would be interested to know if Farage ever has mentioned what he thinks of Truss in an interview, he must’ve known the game was up afterwards after she tried to implement what he’d been arguing for for decades and it failed so miserably. It’s Farage so no doubt he’d say it was the liberal elite who brought her down though not their shared wackjob ideas.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, RobHawk said:

Shock horror, Farage is a ****ing idiot and the thing he campaigned for so strongly for so long is a ****ing disaster. 

He's scum of the worst kind

That's the thing, I don't think he is.

He, and/or at least the people he knows, still stand to make a lot of money from the chaos this has all generated. They're not idiots, they're malicious - they know exactly what they are doing.

5 hours ago, leicsmac said:

He, and/or at least the people he knows, still stand to make a lot of money from the chaos this has all generated. They're not idiots, they're malicious - they know exactly what they are doing.

It’s all a move for him to get back into politics. Rumour is he’s starting a new party campaigning for a referendum to rejoin the EU.

He’s calling it EUKip. 

:ph34r:

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, leicsmac said:

He is. I thought at first he was a canny political operator who knows what buttons to press. I now think he's a bit thick, and instead of being some master manipulator just doesn't know what he's talking about. 

12 minutes ago, bovril said:

He is. I thought at first he was a canny political operator who knows what buttons to press. I now think he's a bit thick, and instead of being some master manipulator just doesn't know what he's talking about. 

You could be right on Farage tbf. If that's the case, I do think there are people smarter than he that are maliciously profiting from all this, though.

17 minutes ago, bovril said:

Personally I’ve had him pegged for years as a possible Russian agent.

15 hours ago, RobHawk said:

Shock horror, Farage is a ****ing idiot and the thing he campaigned for so strongly for so long is a ****ing disaster. 

He's scum of the worst kind

We were never going to get the Brexit that he and ukip campaigned for it was either leave the EU without a deal or accept the best possible deal/compromise that the EU were offering. What he and others were offering were dreams of how he wanted our exit to be and the reality is extremely different.