Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ashley

5000/1

Does anybody actually know anyone who won a bet at 5000/1? I'm yet to hear anyone winning a 5000/1. 

I know a fair few who won their bets at 2000/1 including my late Granddad who had £10.00 on us. 

I'm pretty sure the 5000/1 thing was a price boost for an hour or so by certain bookies?

• Like 1

Just now, Ashley said:

Does anybody actually know anyone who won a bet at 5000/1? I'm yet to hear anyone winning a 5000/1. 

I know a fair few who won their bets at 2000/1 including my late Granddad who had £10.00 on us. 

I'm pretty sure the 5000/1 thing was a price boost for an hour or so by certain bookies?

I think it was the standard price at with a few bookies. I knew a bloke who had them at 5000/1.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RoboFox said:

Pretty sure nobody actually won it at the full 5000/1. There were a number of people who made the bet but I think every one of them cashed out.

If they were City fans then I'm not surprised! I can't imagine going through the whole "will we do it" again but this time standing to win thousands from it lol 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, norfolkfox222 said:

My dad had £10 at start of the season for us to be top 4 1000/1 , put on before Pearson was sacked. Paid for the champions league trips :D 

They’re such long odds. Clearly was perceived to be unlikely, but you’d never get odds like that now. 

Interesting how it changed the market. As if you take Forest for example, who were widely tipped to be around the second worst team in the division, they were only around 100/1 to finish in the top four this season.

• Like 1

As a typical, positive-mindset Leicester fan, I put £10 on us to get relegated after we beat Swansea 3-0 away in December (I was at the game).

I reckoned it was all too good to be true – after that game I allowed myself to think, for the first time, that we could actually do it. I figured that if (or when) the wheels well and truly came off, I could afford a pint or two to cry into. 

I've never been happier to lose a bet. 

Still can't believe we did it. 

• Like 2

My dad made my brother put money on at 5000/1 because he was insulted by the odds 😂😂

Can’t remember how much he put on but he cashed out thousands!

Edit: I just realised how much I’ve stated the obvious 🙄

Edited by jmono84
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

there was a few people i think paddys had a open top bus with their 5000/1 winners but maybe i dreamt that , the bookmakers did most of their money at the odds of 66/1- 250/1 when they wouldnt take us seriously so a lot of small bets around the country accumulated

• Like 1

I know someone who bet at 5000-1 and cashed out half her bet with 6 games to go  but won at the original 5000-1 on the second half of the stake which she kept to the end.

The odds started at 5000-1, stayed there for the first 4 or 5 games, then lowered a bit, but then returned to 5000-1 for just a week after the home match v Arsenal.  At that moment the odds were 1000-1 for a top 4 finish.

• Like 1

I remember that there were stories that the bookies told the press.

A lot did win at 5000/1.

I was working for William Hill at the time and the bookies were trying to track everyone down, phoning them and offering cash outs.

My favourite was a guy put 50p on us to win it, it still would've won him £2500, but he cashed out for something like 47p after we beat Sunderland on the opening day lol

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

I do always think why anyone would have put that bet on though it’s so mental. I remember a load of uni mates contacting me after we won the league asking me how much I’d won as if I just bet on us to win the league every season.

Habit, some people would have the same bet year and year out irrespective of the league we were in at the time.