Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ashley

5000/1

4 hours ago, Ashley said:

Does anybody actually know anyone who won a bet at 5000/1? I'm yet to hear anyone winning a 5000/1. 

I know a fair few who won their bets at 2000/1 including my late Granddad who had £10.00 on us. 

I'm pretty sure the 5000/1 thing was a price boost for an hour or so by certain bookies?

No, it was the odds before the season started with all the bookies, that's when I put my money on them 

20221214_194003.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ashley said:

Does anybody actually know anyone who won a bet at 5000/1? I'm yet to hear anyone winning a 5000/1. 

I know a fair few who won their bets at 2000/1 including my late Granddad who had £10.00 on us. 

I'm pretty sure the 5000/1 thing was a price boost for an hour or so by certain bookies?

Mate had 4000/1 and won a out 12k

I was one of the lucky ones.

£5ew at 5000/1 with Sky bet.

33 grand thank you very much.

Skybet treated all who won with them to hospitality at Chelsea, the last game of the season. 

A young lad on my table cashed out but he had us to win on the nose.

I had the ew option has a fallback.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, AllGoneTitsSchlupp said:

wasn’t there a bloke who had it with ladbrokes and stood to win 27k? sure i read about them *heavily* wining him at a home game in a box and offering him cash out throughout the night 

At the Newcastle home game on the Monday night wasn't it? One of the bookies took a box out with all those who were yet to cash out to 'celebrate them' i.e. get the commoners hammered and make them cash out.

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

At the Newcastle home game on the Monday night wasn't it? One of the bookies took a box out with all those who were yet to cash out to 'celebrate them' i.e. get the commoners hammered and make them cash out.

that was it! remember at the time questioning the legality of plying them with alcohol to offer cash outs but it’s a dark murky world is betting 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ashley said:

Yeah a mate of mines dad did. Cashed out after the west ham game for something like £27k 

56 minutes ago, browniefox said:

I backed them at 5000/1, only had a quid on it, and cashed out after the Newcastle game for £2632. As I wasn't enjoying the football anymore, the bet was forefront of my mind. After I cashed out I loved the rest of the season. 

To be fair I'd have done the same. You'd much rather not have had the extra than the chance of having nothing at all

• Like 1

not sure if it’s just an urban legend but wasn’t there a person who did a double, leicester to win at 5000/1 and the baseball team that won the series in 2016 (also hadn’t won in forever). They only bet in that team because that’s who they said won in back to the future that year. 

They turned a joke bet into 500k or something daft 

I had some money on us to win with bet365 @ 1500 I think and cashed out for £11 early in the season as I need the cash not sure what my stake was 

I can't check the stake as they banned me after I complained about cashing out the bet after saying it was a error on there part lol 

Edited by whoareyaaa

3 hours ago, KFS said:

How many of us have people we know that “nearly put money on it”. Yeah course you did lol 

I booked Monday 16 May off work after Everton away 3-2 win on Saturday 19 December, as the title parade is always the day after the last day of the season, if that counts?!? No chance in hell I would ever put money on us, too superstitious for that 

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

What made people put money on it? Is it something they've done every season, or just had a very weird hunch it'd happen?! 

Simply - the mathematics.   20 teams in the division and odds of 5000-1.  The bookies were insane to set the odds so high, regardless of the unlikelihood of us finishing top.  You'd be a fool not  to put a pound on at those odds.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, deep blue said:

Simply - the mathematics.   20 teams in the division and odds of 5000-1.  The bookies were insane to set the odds so high, regardless of the unlikelihood of us finishing top.  You'd be a fool not  to put a pound on at those odds.

Have you done it for any other side since? 

There was someone on here or started a thread asking what to do after the bookies offered him a cash out on a £5 bet. I advised he tells them to stick it and hold his nerve as in reality he’d only lose a fiver (easy for me to say when I’m not staring several thousands in the face lol). Hopefully he took my advice. It would be interesting to know what he did if he’s still on here. 

From what I remember most cashed out when the bookies were offering a portion of the cash, a bird in the hand and all that.

Think only one or two held out to take the full amount.

Do remember reading about a Scottish punter who put 50p on either way and cashed out after the first game.lol

Even when we beat Chelsea, I remember me and the lads talking about what the odds were at the time and even then we would not take the bet on, nearly everyone just kept on expecting City to drop away and hopefully hold onto a Champions league place.