Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ashley

5000/1

47 minutes ago, ian__marshall said:

I vaguely remember a story about a medical secretary winning as the consultant she worked for jokingly placed a bet £10 on Leicester to win the league that season for her birthday. Sure it was reported she took the lot. 

Worked at Spires if I recall correctly 

4 hours ago, deep blue said:

Simply - the mathematics.   20 teams in the division and odds of 5000-1.  The bookies were insane to set the odds so high, regardless of the unlikelihood of us finishing top.  You'd be a fool not  to put a pound on at those odds.

Without googling it I'd bet that no team has ever won any major competition at odds of more than 2000/1.

If I offered 5000/1 that any prem team ranked in the bottom 3 preseason will win the league would anybody bet more than a quid on that?

I know of someone who won 50k. Always has a silly tenner on Leicester to win the league. 

Won a bit the year we won the championship, obviously won a lot more the year we won the premier league. 

He never told a soul he had the bet on, not once during the season. Kept it quiet until the very end. Said he got very twitchy at points, and nearly cashed out a few times. But he was close to retirement and had a couple of decent pensions ready to cash in, so didn't need the money and kept telling himself it was "only a tenner" 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Heskey2011 said:

Without googling it I'd bet that no team has ever won any major competition at odds of more than 2000/1.

If I offered 5000/1 that any prem team ranked in the bottom 3 preseason will win the league would anybody bet more than a quid on that?

You just wouldn't, unless it was your team. There can't be many people out there, outside of Leicester, who saw those odds and thought it was worth betting anything over a quid or 2.

It'll never happen again, bookies will never post those sort of odds, not even if there was 10 games to go and the team in 14th could still mathematically win the league if they picked up all 30 points :D

If you came to me and said you'd offer odds of 5000/1 on Bournemouth to win the league, I'd keep my quid lol

Edited by Jimbo
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

not sure if it’s just an urban legend but wasn’t there a person who did a double, leicester to win at 5000/1 and the baseball team that won the series in 2016 (also hadn’t won in forever). They only bet in that team because that’s who they said won in back to the future that year. 

They turned a joke bet into 500k or something daft 

I backed us at 1500/1 with Corals  Nov 1st and posted on this forum that we were way overpriced....for a fleeting moment i thought about the double with the baseball team i follow Chicago Cubs who were 50/1 for the world series ( i have relatives in chicago)but hey ho its all if only's...but it was probably the least enjoyable season i have had supporting Leicester...watched the final few games from behind the sofa 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, StanSP said:

Have you done it for any other side since?   I think we killed that.. Incidentally I

Not interested in other teams, but I haven't seen similar odds in any sporting connection since.  I think we killed that golden goose.  I put £20 on us the previous season at 5000-1 on the strength, and misplaced optimism, from our promotion season, but it was worth one miss to score the next season.  I felt initially confident of us having a good season in 15-16 after our performances in the great escape, but I confess that the sacking of Pearson introduced a lot more uncertainty about how we would perform in 15-16.  But 5000-1 ... it was a no-brainer.

When we were doing the business early in the season, my wife told me a few times that I should stick a bet on it. She doesn't have the slightest interest in football, so I just kinda laughed it off.

I put £3 on 500/1 around christmas after we flew through a bit of rough few games. Mainly because I figured I'd never hear the end of it if we managed to pull it off by some miracle.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Free Falling Foxes said:

Our title win and those odds are certainly a yardstick now and will be for a very long time.

You do get the ridiculous comparisons now as others try to steal our mantle. The latest one I heard was if Arsenal win the title this season, it will be a greater achievement than Leicester's

What? Nowhere near!

Who would be a better comparison? Leeds or Southampton maybe?

1 hour ago, SkidsFox said:

What's the maximum (for any Premiership team) they offer at the season start?

I don't think you get more than about 250/1 nowadays.

But not many would have backed us at 5000/1. 

It would probably have cost the bookies more if the heavy favourite won it that year.

The bookies would rather pay a larger amount to few, than a smaller amount to thousands. 

Millions must have bet on one of the 'big 6' to win the league in 2016, so they didn't have to pay out on those.

12 hours ago, SkidsFox said:

What's the maximum (for any Premiership team) they offer at the season start?

I'm sure the most I've seen since that season was around 1000/1

It scared bookmakers so much they brought the odds down of Elvis turning up alive lol which was also 5000/1

• Haha 1

I unfortunately worked in a bookmakers at the time. Had to pay out one chap 150k, but card instalments meant I could only do 5k at a time. Had to keep a tally chart next to me whilst doing it. There were a number of winners that I dealt with, lack of generosity regarding tips was astonishing, but on occasion this money was changing lives, which was nice.

Over the season Leicester made the bookies money, we busted everyone’s weekly accumulator essentially, as people always felt it was our time to finally lose!

16 minutes ago, westernpark said:

I unfortunately worked in a bookmakers at the time. Had to pay out one chap 150k, but card instalments meant I could only do 5k at a time. Had to keep a tally chart next to me whilst doing it. There were a number of winners that I dealt with, lack of generosity regarding tips was astonishing, but on occasion this money was changing lives, which was nice.

Over the season Leicester made the bookies money, we busted everyone’s weekly accumulator essentially, as people always felt it was our time to finally lose!

Bookies expect tips? 😆

5 minutes ago, westernpark said:

No it’s more out of politeness, when you’ve argued on the phone with head office to pay an individual out, or driven round other shops to collect money to pay them out. 

sounds more like your boss or head office should be tipping you