Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Ex Managers - They used to manage us.

12 hours ago, MPH said:

You mean like how we got Lennon for 600k, Muzzy Izzett for 650k, Elliott for 1.2m, Savage for 400k.. I don’t think we paid anything for Taggart , Guppy for Less than a million… I mean.. I thought he spent wisely on transfer fees. He had to give big contracts when we started playing well but that was to keep the players who were playing very well..

I mean when he was eventually given big money. Not when he was at us, of course. When he was with us he was great with it. There's a difference between finding bargains because you're restrained and then suddenly being given £30m.

I know Villa fans weren't happy with a lot of money spent while he was in charge of them. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gruss101 said:

Or

Former Aston Villa, Norwich City and Leicester City head coach Dean Smith has been approached by Stoke City over potentially taking up the vacant managerial position.

The Potters announced on Sunday evening that head coach Alex Neil was relived of his duties following a run of four-straight defeats in the Championship which has left Stoke just above the relegation zone by a mere point.

https://therealefl.co.uk/2023/12/11/former-leicester-city-manager-approached-over-vacant-stoke-city-job/

Rogers post match on BBC is utter cock.  The word refresh was mentioned 👀.

How did the Board of this Club keep this Clown so long after it was obvious he put the Team in full reverse? 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

Rogers post match on BBC is utter cock.  The word refresh was mentioned 👀.

How did the Board of this Club keep this Clown so long after it was obvious he put the Team in full reverse? 

Our board really neglected (for the lack of a better term) the team last season. 

I will always give praise where it is due and Brendans first 18 months were excellent. And he deserves a lot of credit for that. 

Yet his last 18 months were dire. He is never accountable, ever! Blamed everyone else, fell out with a host of players, and the complete opposite for what a manager should be in terms of bringing a team together. Something changed in his approach to matches and he is not the same manager who first joined us. 

Gerrard and Rodgers were in charge at the same time, Villa removed Gerrard and employed Emery and we prolonged with Rodgers. I do fault our board with a lack of vision and understanding of the predicament we were in. At the time, we were possibly a more attractive proposition than Villa. And Emery possibly could have been a great appointment. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Matt said:

How did so many fans of this club not put any pressure on him or the board?!

It's somewhat similar to Ranieri's tenure. Few regret our decision to sack him 6 months after the title win.

Difference between then and Rodgers is of course Vichai... he probably had that ruthlessness to make these decisions swiftly.

7 hours ago, Matt said:

How did so many fans of this club not put any pressure on him or the board?!

Because they either listened to his media mates/ apologists or put their own club down. Although I don't believe fans putting pressure on would have made a difference.

4 hours ago, Uncle Monty said:

I find it funny that his best 18 months was with a team other managers assembled. 

His refresh here didn't work.

There can possibly be similarities with Postecoglu at Spurs in this. Brendan came in from Puel who was playing a dull bland of football and never really had the fans on his side. Brendan came in, added a bit of attacking play, allowed more freedom to create and we looked a very good team. Then he wanted to change things too much and issues started. Falling out with key players Kasper + Soyuncu, for us, Dembele at Celtic, I think he benched Gerrard away at Madrid as well. I get there has to be an element of showing who the boss is, but there are superior ways of doing so. 

If anyone looks at Brendan's history of signing players it is alarming. At Liverpool he wasted so much money and only really signed Coutinho and Sturridge who did well. A host of flops, Celtic fans warned us the same, and his signings were largely poor here.  Then the treatment of players he recruited. Personally Recruited Vestegaard and then removed him to train on his own. 

Now, exactly how much involvement Brendan had choosing and signing players can be questionable, but surely when his record in transfer market is poor at 3 previous clubs there must be something in it. 

14 hours ago, JJD_LCFC said:

There can possibly be similarities with Postecoglu at Spurs in this. Brendan came in from Puel who was playing a dull bland of football and never really had the fans on his side. Brendan came in, added a bit of attacking play, allowed more freedom to create and we looked a very good team. Then he wanted to change things too much and issues started. Falling out with key players Kasper + Soyuncu, for us, Dembele at Celtic, I think he benched Gerrard away at Madrid as well. I get there has to be an element of showing who the boss is, but there are superior ways of doing so. 

If anyone looks at Brendan's history of signing players it is alarming. At Liverpool he wasted so much money and only really signed Coutinho and Sturridge who did well. A host of flops, Celtic fans warned us the same, and his signings were largely poor here.  Then the treatment of players he recruited. Personally Recruited Vestegaard and then removed him to train on his own. 

Now, exactly how much involvement Brendan had choosing and signing players can be questionable, but surely when his record in transfer market is poor at 3 previous clubs there must be something in it. 

Goes to show how hard a job "management" is. 

Nige had a bit of an ego but he seemed to know his strengths and surrounded himself with a team of people who took care recruitment and training. (Seems Enzo is also doing similar things).

There's no doubt Brendan's a skilled coach/tactician, the man won us an FA Cup. But his ego gets in the way of everything and fails in trying to do everything by himself.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Uncle Monty said:

Goes to show how hard a job "management" is. 

Nige had a bit of an ego but he seemed to know his strengths and surrounded himself with a team of people who took care recruitment and training. (Seems Enzo is also doing similar things).

There's no doubt Brendan's a skilled coach/tactician, the man won us an FA Cup. But his ego gets in the way of everything and fails in trying to do everything by himself.

I do give Brendan a lot of credit for his first 18 months of performances. Some of the best football I have seen Leicester play. Admittedly I only started watching during the Brian Little era. But for me some of the best football I have seen us play. 

Brendan was a skilled coach / tactician as you said. Unfortunately something changed in his approach, same for Mourinho I think. Mourinho was apparently told by Sergio Ramos a few failings and he has never been the same manager since. I can not give Brendan the accolade of a skilled coach / tactician for his last 18 months here. We watched every game during the relegation season and surely we could see we do not have the players to play out from the back. Amartey, Ndidi, Thomas are not players to play this style. A skilled tactician should have seen this. Set plays, horrendous record. And then Danny Ward, for 25+ games he started him when everyone was saying he is not a number 1.  Brendan constantly speaks on "character" yet when any player has any they are removed from the team. 

It is so hard finding the right people to be around you in life and in work. Nigel Pearson was never spoken about badly here, maybe Matt Mills and Jermaine Beckford but he was removing the wrong egos in the squad for the benefit of the team. But as a man and person he had complete control, surrounded himself with the right staff and everything worked. Nigel only goes down as a success with us, if we speak to Derby, Bristol City fans I do not think they will be as positive. Same manager, different circumstances and results changed massively. It is incredibly difficult to get everyone on the same page and feeling valued. 

Enzo does seem to be doing this and I really think Enzo has a very difficult job. He has to change the culture of the club, put his own style on the team, get the fans back on side and start to support the club from the malaise we have been in for so long. Remove players who do not fit his system, coach players who have been unmotivated, and bring in his own players, then create everyone into a team. All of this whilst being under immense pressure to have to win every week. We are top, 10+ points inside the promotion spaces and still some negativity.  

• Like 1