Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
1884Man

Stadium atmosphere

Most fans go to City games to sit quietly for 90mins, enjoy a half time pie and clap for corners and throwings Bravo, that's true support. The title win probably killed our fanbase and the champions league was our fanbases last hooray.

Most City fans struggle to even mumble a few words that's most of our fans truth hurts.

Get rid of the lot who turn up seemingly just to shout crap at our own players, then disappear after 25 minutes for a beer and don’t come back until 10 minutes after the second half has started

There was a big group of them behind the goal at Walsall

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Get rid of the lot who turn up seemingly just to shout crap at our own players, then disappear after 25 minutes for a beer and don’t come back until 10 minutes after the second half has started

There was a big group of them behind the goal at Walsall

Rather have them then mutes.

We're a fanbase that evidently need extreme or unusual circumstances to conjure a good end. Most of the games in Europe seem to do this. I think going to the same 18/19 grounds every season has meant support has stagnated generally. I imagine that if an unlikely came up like a Millwall or a Blackburn we'd be much more up for it. Saying that we've just had two consecutive aways at unusual grounds and didn't make a peep.

13 minutes ago, Viktor-LCFC said:

Most fans go to City games to sit quietly for 90mins, enjoy a half time pie and clap for corners and throwings Bravo, that's true support. The title win probably killed our fanbase and the champions league was our fanbases last hooray.

Most City fans struggle to even mumble a few words that's most of our fans truth hurts.

Well it was hardly rocking when we were 16th in the Championship. People seem to have this idea the atmosphere was better pre PL title win and it's not true. Our first season back in the PL was decent but most, if not all, clubs are the same because of the season (everyone is against you and you need everything to stay up). 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Well it was hardly rocking when we were 16th in the Championship. People seem to have this idea the atmosphere was better pre PL title win and it's not true. Our first season back in the PL was decent but most, if not all, clubs are the same because of the season (everyone is against you and you need everything to stay up). 

We were never great but we're shocking now, at least at Filbo away ends knew Leicester boys would be up for it in the stands singing an banter and off the pitch, not that i want hools back.

Edited by Viktor-LCFC

32 minutes ago, Viktor-LCFC said:

We were never great but we're shocking now, at least at Filbo away ends knew Leicester boys would be up for it in the stands singing an banter and off the pitch, not that i want hools back.

Take a look in other threads in this forum and see people that was us to lose games just so they can see the back of the manager. If these types of people are at games then it's no wonder our atmosphere is shit.

On Saturday at Walsall I heard more people moaning than singing in support. And that moaning happens every fvcking game. I criticise during games, everyone does, but not to an extent where it's the only thing I do. I don't know why people like this even go, regardless of age. Then again I don't know why people go who are just more interested in filming themselves for social media to show people they're at a football match with beer, wow, and that's the younger people not older.

Tbf I could go on, we could go on.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Take a look in other threads in this forum and see people that was us to lose games just so they can see the back of the manager. If these types of people are at games then it's no wonder our atmosphere is shit. On Saturday at Walsall I heard more people moaning than singing in support. And that moaning happens every fvcking game. I criticise during games, everyone does, but not to an extent where it's the only thing I do.

Think most supporters are just tired of the passionless, low quailty dross being served up.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Take a look in other threads in this forum and see people that was us to lose games just so they can see the back of the manager. If these types of people are at games then it's no wonder our atmosphere is shit. On Saturday at Walsall I heard more people moaning than singing in support. And that moaning happens every fvcking game. I criticise during games, everyone does, but not to an extent where it's the only thing I do.

Yeh true and that is annoying. But I think it's the same everywhere? It's human nature to be negative and moan and make excuses etc. Leeds, Man Utd and Newcastle fans have all been very negative for many years in the past, and posters on here take great delight in absolutely rimming the sh1t clean out of their arseh0les,  But as a previous poster said that shouldn't be the default and we should endeavor to be different from the masses.

2 hours ago, OntarioFox said:

The Oldies really aren't the problem - as @Footballwipe says, it's the TikTokTwats who are more than happy to do it in the concourse for their views, but shrink the moment they're in sight of the pitch.

We've got an elderly contingent in the fanbase, that's undeniable - but there are more than enough younger fans to get the atmosphere going. They just don't. Like I've said too many times to count now, it's all about sniffing gear, getting a few likes and then staring at your phone in the stairwell until we score now, on the off chance they can film it.

Admittedly, it would help if we as a collective fanbase had enough braincells to rub together and keep in time with one another. So many songs break down when it's apparent that everyone is out of time with one another. Happened plenty yet again at Walsall, and there you don't even have the excuse of acoustics and sound not travelling given what a small end it was. Vichai Had A Dream became "Vichai had Vichai dream Vichai had a dream" at one point. :nigel:

Side-point, but speaking anecdotally for myself and those I go with, some of the newer songs we sing are crap and people don't bother with them. The "On A Saturday" one being the latest example. Dad's getting on but still belts out songs, and to quote his first impressions of it - "sounds like a bunch of bloody yanks doing cheerleading - take it to the Riders and leave it there". lol

I have said this in a few places before but I really think we should have some sort of allocation for blocks/sections, mostly referring to away games but something similar could work for home games too. Have some of them be seating only (for the "older" lot with their flasks), have some dedicated to atmosphere (or "singing section", I know people hate the phrase but it is what it is and we don't seem to get much going without it), then maybe some other categories just to bring people with the same attitude mindset into the same area.

The problem isn't the older folk, they have a right to go to games. The problem is that usually everyone is mixed up and this can cause tension as well when those few who do want to sit down, have people standing near them.

Even though we could section groups of people together, it still requires everyone to pull their weight and put the effort in. If you want to be in a "singing section" then you should really be in there for the full 90, getting behind the team and being vocal. Not going into that section in the hope everyone around you makes the noise and you can just listen in. It is really difficult to pull everyone in the same direction when everyone has different interests.

In regard to new songs, these are needed. We can't just keep repeating the same songs for decades without freshening up the song book. Players come and go. By all means mix old songs in but along with some newer/more modern ones. Part of the atmosphere game is to come up with new, relevant songs (at least a couple). Repeating what every other club is doing is pretty lame and lazy. Of course, not every song will be a hit but at least give them a go for a good while.

The current situation is proof that 99% of people in the crowd will only get behind the team when they are entertained. The way we play football at the moment (and I guess many teams in the PL) is dull and boring and most people just get carried away with that. It would be great if the football itself becomes secondary to getting an atmosphere going. There are plenty of examples where a good core of fans are creating an atmosphere even when the football on display is poor (albeit you have to look outside of the UK for most of it).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kingkisnorbo said:

Question for any members of UFS. Is there a lot of red tape stopping you bringing the drum/banners to away's like groups in Scotland do? I assume it would also be difficult getting enough of you there in the same section. Can't help but feel it would improve an end. 

Yeah correct mate. Its pretty much a flat no every time to the point we have just stopped even giving it a thought.

It would help I have no doubt about that.

• Like 1

Hopefully with the new signings and some better performances from the team the atmosphere at home can really get going. We haven’t seen it in full action yet with the section and the team being good apart from the forest game which was really good. I reckon if the section was introduced a couple years back when we were competing for Europe it would’ve made a huge difference but hopefully we can see it now 🤞 

What we need is how Filbert Street worked.

Behind the goal, SK 1,2,3,4 was always loud and standing helped. (Louder towards pen 4)

SK5 was for away fans, standing and loud with songs and banter with SK 4.

East Stand had seats but the ones nearer the away fans in SK 5 was often lively and loud. The centre of the double decker often had it's day of vocalness too.

Then further down the East Stand, round the opposite goal and the huge main stand was for those that wanted to sit and not be so vocal until something happened.

We had a whole end that was where those that wanted to sing, be loud and boisterous could all be. No small pockets around the ground like now, we had the opposition cornered by the Kop and the East stand and it just worked.

Edited by ElusiveEd

My idea to improve our away ends is quite extreme and would require assistance from the club (so will never happen).  But I will explain it.

It involves a anonymous text number which fans can text or ring if they see anyone who comes in the following categories.  Once we have eradicated the category we move onto the next category and only stop when the atmosphere has improved and we are not the laughing stock of football every time the cameras pan onto the crowd.  Once they have been identified they can be issued with a club authorised banning order to stop them getting tickets anymore.

1) Any body with a flask, a porcelain cup or a knitted blanket.

2) Any body over the age of 75.

3) Any body who takes their own clapper.

4) Any body over the age of 70.

5) Any body who wears a club branded bobble hat.

6) Any body who wants to sit down

7) Any body who doesn't make any noise.

8) Any body who has travelled on coach 1.

9) Any body who doesn't drink at least 5 pints before they go in.

10) Any body over the age of 65.

I would like to think things would have improved by the time we got to Category 9 or 10.  

• Haha 4

21 minutes ago, ElusiveEd said:

What we need is how Filbert Street worked.

Behind the goal, SK 1,2,3,4 was always loud and standing helped. (Louder towards pen 4)

SK5 was for away fans, standing and loud with songs and banter with SK 4.

East Stand had seats but the ones nearer the away fans in SK 5 was often lively and loud. The centre of the double decker often had it's day of vocalness too.

Then further down the East Stand, round the opposite goal and the huge main stand was for those that wanted to sit and not be so vocal until something happened.

We had a whole end that was where those that wanted to sing, be loud and boisterous could all be. No small pockets around the ground like now, we had the opposition cornered by the Kop and the East stand and it just worked.

SK5? There was no such thing. The kop had pens 1,2,3,4. The away fans were in 1 and the City fans in 2, 3 and 4. 

• Like 1