Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
1884Man

Stadium atmosphere

1 hour ago, oz was my hero said:

Me also, 50 next year and I'm not going to just stop singing and move from sk1. It's a mindset thing not an age thing.

This 100% in my 20s my voice was gone before I got into pen 1 as we sang in the pub to before the game. I still sing away but it's hard when no one joins in around you. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I'm going to state the bloody obvious here, but those of us that are 50+ were young once and are still quite willing to support the team vocally - so calling out the older demographic is pretty foolish, not least because those that are currently younger will also be 50+ one day - if they're lucky. 

The issue is rather more complicated than one might care to think. 

I don’t think they’re necessarily calling them out. Our away ends have a much higher proportion of over 50s than most and our away atmosphere is very poor. I see younger people who don’t get involved as well. A restructure is needed for away games. I was lucky enough that we were shit when I started going to aways so it was easy to get tickets and build up priority. Younger fans don’t stand a chance at the moment and never will with the current scheme.

15 minutes ago, Joe_1992 said:

I don’t think they’re necessarily calling them out. Our away ends have a much higher proportion of over 50s than most and our away atmosphere is very poor. I see younger people who don’t get involved as well. A restructure is needed for away games. I was lucky enough that we were shit when I started going to aways so it was easy to get tickets and build up priority. Younger fans don’t stand a chance at the moment and never will with the current scheme.

I'm not sure of the veracity of your stated position about higher proportions of over 50s... How do you know, where are the statistics for that? None of us knows how it is to be in anybody else's away end. 

However, I agree otherwise. I barely get to go now because of the ticketing situation. As I said earlier, the issue of the difficulty of support, atmosphere and demographics is complicated, and I've said before that until the club pulls its finger out and is braver about not just taking the comfortable income, nothing is going to change. 

Edited by HighPeakFox

1 minute ago, Holly B said:

And what exactly is this system you propose ?

how many games actually go STH - you can’t expect them to gain points if they never can get tickets , this just freezes young fans who couldn’t go to aways before and new season ticket holders 

Im sure that most people just buy tickets for points and resell them too 

But if we change the system , you’ll have people saying I was at Yeovil away on a Tuesday night where was you etc 

You can never impress this fanbase as there is always something they complain about 

2 hours ago, iancognito said:

Thing is we received 2009 tickets but did we sell them all? If some were held back it's not as accurate.

I would've thought so.   I don't see why the club wouldn't sell them, if they could.

They usually "hold back" some tickets at the beginning (for staff, players, executive box holders etc), but put them back into the pool if not taken up.

2 hours ago, Holly B said:

And what exactly is this system you propose ?

Having a ticket isn't a right. I'm gonna guess there are 1200 or so who have extreme priority due to attending every game from miniscule away ends at Bournemouth to the big allocation Cup games at Forest. 

Instead, whatever the allocation, a max of 50% of it goes to extreme priority, then the next batches go down in sliding scales. It means those with the highest priority if they fail in the first tranche have to battle it out on tranches 2,3,4 etc with the riff raff. 

All away games should have at least 10% down to members with a buying history. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lcfcjosh said:

how many games actually go STH - you can’t expect them to gain points if they never can get tickets , this just freezes young fans who couldn’t go to aways before and new season ticket holders 

But if we change the system , you’ll have people saying I was at Yeovil away on a Tuesday night where was you etc 

You can never impress this fanbase as there is always something they complain about 

So you haven’t got a system then ?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

I put one forward earlier 

Both were slightly strange midweek games, right? In the most expensive part of the year. Not excuses but it will have an effect 

MK Dons was our first game after a break from live football for 4 weeks. Local trip with most people finished work three days before Christmas. Went 1 up within minutes and literally were never in danger of losing 

12 hours ago, Yes N'Didi said:

Let me guess, this was the bloke yelling QUICKERRRRRRR and FORWAAAARDS every ten seconds, moaning about anything and everything. I honestly don’t know why you’d come out just to give yourself a near on brain aneurism every time.

Stood within the right hand 8 seats near the middle.

Think this the bloke who I stood next to, green jacket and shaved head.

was doing my head in all game, got to the point where I said are you ever going to stop moaning and start backing the team? His response was “f*** off”

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Both were slightly strange midweek games, right? In the most expensive part of the year. Not excuses but it will have an effect 

So I'm right in assuming the good fans who sing only go when times aren't tough financially and the circumstances aren't "strange"?

Any examples of those atmospheres so we can define this and pinpoint when the good fans can go would be great.

9 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

MK Dons was our first game after a break from live football for 4 weeks. Local trip with most people finished work three days before Christmas. Went 1 up within minutes and literally were never in danger of losing 

Mk dons was such a strange atmosphere for me, the sheer amount of little kids that were there made it more like a school trip than a match. They didn’t have to be up the next day and I also heard alot of comments from people next to me “first away game etc”

there would have been more noise if the allocation was quartered.. 

11 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

Sorry but I ain’t sure your reasoning for that.. I have to sacrifice some games due to financial reasons and im sure many others do, so if it’s tough around Christmas don’t go.

19 hours ago, lcfcjosh said:

The issue isn’t people who went to Yeovil and Hartlepools. We’ve been supplanted by a cohort of band wagon jumping, glory chasing, entitled yet know nothing gobshites. At one point in time everyone experiences life events and then the system then conspires to lock them out of getting back in - and the experience nowadays is such that I (and I’m guessing others) no longer want to. It’s certainly less than 10% of the people I know who were going away in Div III that still do now. I think you need to look at more recent events.

15 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

The system needs to be fairer but there’s been countless occasions when it’s proven not to be the reason for poor atmosphere.

That's true, but I would add one word to say "occasions when it’s proven not to be the sole reason for poor atmosphere."

There are various reasons why the atmosphere isn't very good at the moment, and a lousy ticket allocation scheme is one of them.   Fixing that won't turn us intoa hotbed of passion, but it would be a start in the right direction.    And importantly give us hope for the future, and the next generation of fans.

(the current bizarre system just reinforces having the same 1500 people turning up every away match, and I'm convinced lots of them don't even really want to be there ... but are just doing it out of habit.)

2 hours ago, MS0204 said:

12 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Mk dons was such a strange atmosphere for me, the sheer amount of little kids that were there made it more like a school trip than a match. They didn’t have to be up the next day and I also heard alot of comments from people next to me “first away game etc”

Yeah I was one of them - took my kids to their first away match exactly for the reasons you mention. They loved it. But MK Dons in the League Cup was never likely to be the most pulsating atmosphere anyhow

Edited by stripeyfox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, worth_the_wait said:

That's true, but I would add one word to say "occasions when it’s proven not to be the sole reason for poor atmosphere."

There are various reasons why the atmosphere isn't very good at the moment, and a lousy ticket allocation scheme is one of them.   Fixing that won't turn us intoa hotbed of passion, but it would be a start in the right direction.    And importantly give us hope for the future, and the next generation of fans.

(the current bizarre system just reinforces having the same 1500 people turning up every away match, and I'm convinced lots of them don't even really want to be there ... but are just doing it out of habit.)

We had various games last season at 3k plus allocations which went down to members etc. The atmosphere stayed naff. 

But I’m sure we’d bring up another excuse that we weren’t playing very well. Your last point is bang on. 

I’d say the last best atmosphere I went to was Randers. Funnily very much like MK Dons. Just everyone who wanted to be there, had to make the effort. No habit. Actually wanted to be standing in the freezing cold having a good time. 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

We've talked about going to some away games this season as i think the boy is old enough to deal with it. But we aren't season ticket holders and have 55 members points each. Without knowing you can get to a game, its a difficult thing to plan. As a family we aren't going to leave weekends free on the miniscule chance we might be able to get tickets for Stoke away. Not had a sniff at anything yet, and not sure we will. I can kind of understand if you are 'in it' you buy out of habit. 

Exactly, everyone wanted to be at Randers and was knowledgeable about the team and club. That coupled with the excellent beer and welcome from the Danes. As if opening up to general sale and those who wear tracksuits 90% of the time for aways will improve the atmosphere. You'll have loads of day trippers and birthday parties. 

• Like 2