Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
1884Man

Stadium atmosphere

50 minutes ago, SamA27 said:

After finishing James Montague's book "1312," which I would highly recommend to every football fan, I find myself increasingly disheartened by the English matchday experience. Over the years, it's been diluted and stripped of its unique character by the league and even, arguably, the government. It's grown dull and unexciting. Essentially, we're now mere paying customers, unwelcome to cause any disturbance or voice any dissent. The setup caters more to viewers watching at home worldwide. What we feared ages ago—that it might mimic major American sports—has sadly come true. Yet, many fans, especially in the Premier League, seem oblivious.

People often mock the atmosphere at US soccer games and the imitation of Ultras, but after reading the chapter on them and watching YouTube clips of LAFC matches, it's hard to argue. Their atmospheres might, arguably, surpass those in England.

Now the solution to this I have no idea, I don't see how it can be reversed with more money coming, and I'm not advocating for the return of fan violence, which is abhorrent. However, supporters must initiate change in this experience because it's bound to deteriorate further. Anyway, rant over. :S

Have you thought about messaging UFS. Your feelings there are shared by many in the group. Attempting to make the best of matchdays with others may be something you would like?

• Like 2

I don’t go many aways, only managed 3 last season, combo of small kids & lack of points. But for as much as the home atmosphere rightly gets rinsed, I hardly heard our fans today, what’s going on? Too many pension pushers on their day out? 
Fair play these go to more aways than most they should have priority but f**k me that sounded poor today

On 10/01/2024 at 12:17, SamA27 said:

After finishing James Montague's book "1312," which I would highly recommend to every football fan, I find myself increasingly disheartened by the English matchday experience. Over the years, it's been diluted and stripped of its unique character by the league and even, arguably, the government. It's grown dull and unexciting. Essentially, we're now mere paying customers, unwelcome to cause any disturbance or voice any dissent. The setup caters more to viewers watching at home worldwide. What we feared ages ago—that it might mimic major American sports—has sadly come true. Yet, many fans, especially in the Premier League, seem oblivious.

People often mock the atmosphere at US soccer games and the imitation of Ultras, but after reading the chapter on them and watching YouTube clips of LAFC matches, it's hard to argue. Their atmospheres might, arguably, surpass those in England.

Now the solution to this I have no idea, I don't see how it can be reversed with more money coming, and I'm not advocating for the return of fan violence, which is abhorrent. However, supporters must initiate change in this experience because it's bound to deteriorate further. Anyway, rant over. :S

Many moons ago I was laughed at for suggesting such a thing....fast forward a decade and there no question the atmosphere in the MLS is better than here.  People can go to YouTube and post the fight and win video all they like it means nothing in isolation.  But if we had the freedoms the yanks have and the clubs that actively encourage their support/ultra groups we might have a good atmosphere too but the game is sold completely differently here than it is in the US.  People keep going on about the Americanisation of the game over here as a reason for the poor atmosphere but those obviously haven't stood in the supporters sections at a MLS game...beats pretty much all sections in England.  Just look at Scotland if you want to see how a quiet diluted atmosphere can be transformed when fans organise themselves.

I’m a pensioner first away match this season I made more f””king noise than the two guys in front of me who rolled up ripped a load of netting of the seats beside them  was there because a overhead pipe was dripping. They made a bit of noise for ten minutes then as the booze and coke wore off I thought they had gone to sleep!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AllGoneTitsSchlupp said:

Best home atmosphere we’ve been up against but that was to be expected. Have to admit that having that big section next to the away stand made all the difference

Yep. We should do the same and move to e singing section next to the away end  but UFS don’t want to hear it. Imagine that lot at the other end of the ground, wouldn’t have been anywhere near the same atmosphere. Having vocal home fans next to the away end is what works 

• Like 2

I don’t go to as many away as I would like but went today and it seemed there were many that were more interested in giving it the biggun, gesturing to the home fans assuming it made them feel massive, than actually watching the game. Embarrassing actually. Cov weren’t much better mind you. 

but those that were making noise and singing did the best they could so fair play to them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nolucklcfc said:

Yep. We should do the same and move to e singing section next to the away end  but UFS don’t want to hear it. Imagine that lot at the other end of the ground, wouldn’t have been anywhere near the same atmosphere. Having vocal home fans next to the away end is what works 

I think its L1 that don’t want to hear that. 

• Like 2

Just now, AllGoneTitsSchlupp said:

I don’t think it’s that simple though, took years for UFS to be able to get to this stage of having a true section 

I love UFS, genuinely. They are the only ones trying to make an atmosphere but the location isn’t working. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Nolucklcfc said:

The family stand bit is an option 

You said having vocal fans by the away fans works. Fair enough your opinion, it would not be mine. I don't get the clamour to move UFS to the away fans side, surely that idea is already in place.

2 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

You said having vocal fans by the away fans works. Fair enough your opinion, it would not be mine. I don't get the clamour to move UFS to the away fans side, surely that idea is already in place.

Respect your opinion also, can I ask why you don’t like the idea? I just don’t think it’s working at the moment and having the banter with away fans really helps imo. 

5 minutes ago, Nolucklcfc said:

I love UFS, genuinely. They are the only ones trying to make an atmosphere but the location isn’t working. 

You are not wrong! I am a massive fan of UFS and i think the section is brilliant but the location is terrible. 

The perfect scenario would be to drown out the away fans with two sets of noisy fans either side.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, lee7 said:

You are not wrong! I am a massive fan of UFS and i think the section is brilliant but the location is terrible. 

The perfect scenario would be to drown out the away fans with two sets of noisy fans either side.

Worth a conversation at least 

8 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Their fans were bang average until they equalised. 

Still put L1 to shame. 

I agree, baring in mind how they bigged themselves up, thought their atmosphere was rubbish until they equalised. Once they got their goal, they were very vocal but it all came from one section.

The celebration when they scored against us, and after the final whistle, tells you all you need to know about how far ahead of them we are as a club. Genuinly like a cup final for them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

I have zero desire to spend my money and time to sing at the away fans. The banter is floor level shite about how many turned up, what colour jacket someone has on or who has chlamydia.

Section struggles at time due to others not wanting to join in, putting it by a

load of 8 year olds there to see Filbert the Fox won’t make it any louder.

The idea about banter with the away fans, a area exists for that now. You could even say that its pointless chucking UFS there as some say L1 is on its knees when its the area that you supposedly would get more singers from due to it being by the away fans.

Ive had a beer so writing shit but you get the jist.

Do you think the section is working in the current location? 

34 minutes ago, Nolucklcfc said:

It doesn't work for L1 who I thought were supposed to be the kind of people that love that banter? 

Why can't the fans already in that area make it work? 

6 minutes ago, Nolucklcfc said:

Do you think the section is working in the current location? 

Not sure what you want me to say to that.

Ive indicated at times it can struggle.

Im not sure its position is such a big problem, I think the make up of it having folk there who won’t join in much is the bigger one.

1 minute ago, Lako42 said:

It doesn't work for L1 who I thought were supposed to be the kind of people that love that banter? 

Why can't the fans already in that area make it work? 

People in there originally haven’t moved and so are part of it but don’t want to sing. It’s not big enough realistically.