Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
1884Man

Stadium atmosphere

15 hours ago, Nolucklcfc said:

I genuinely think that people who buy match day tickets here, don’t even know it’s a singing section until they get there. 

Every now and then I use my brother or nephews ticket (don't tell the powers that be....probably ban us all) and I've noticed in regards the singing section that the first three or four rows sing then nothing behind. I reckon loads want to say their in the singing section but don't want to contribute. And the excuse that they don't know the words is rubbish as well because after a few minutes of listening even I can pick up most of the chants and I'm an old codger. Would be great to try and get more like minded in one area so here's hoping. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, foxy tiler said:

Every now and then I use my brother or nephews ticket (don't tell the powers that be....probably ban us all) and I've noticed in regards the singing section that the first three or four rows sing then nothing behind. I reckon loads want to say their in the singing section but don't want to contribute. And the excuse that they don't know the words is rubbish as well because after a few minutes of listening even I can pick up most of the chants and I'm an old codger. Would be great to try and get more like minded in one area so here's hoping. 

Atmosphere tourists the lot of them

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, foxy tiler said:

Even in the bottom few rows around me you’ve got people just talking, and taking selfies. The fanbase just lacks passion if we are honest. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Nolucklcfc said:

Even in the bottom few rows around me you’ve got people just talking, and taking selfies. The fanbase just lacks passion if we are honest. 

There's passion in terms of numbers home and away, and our vocally minded fans are obviously spread out around the ground. Despite this, there does seem to be a real difference with our match-going home crowd compared to the likes of Forest, Villa, Derby, Wolves - which is why we're sometimes referred to as the Fulham of the Midlands.

4 minutes ago, los dedos said:

" Fulham of the Midlands " Who by ? our crowd is very much from the same demographic as those 4 . It's mainly due to the club actively trying to make it as hard as possible for vocally minded people to sit together. 

Also Derby apart the other 3 have managed to stay in their traditional old school ground.

You'd think so but why do our away ends and home ends have a mainly different demographic to the likes of them teams mentioned?

• Like 2

On 22/09/2024 at 09:54, Corky said:

I'm sure we'd sing "He's won more than you" to Real Madrid.

The only song everyone wants to get involved in and it's embarrassing. Everton have won more than we will ever win, let alone Vardy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, FoxesTalker said:

There's passion in terms of numbers home and away, and our vocally minded fans are obviously spread out around the ground. Despite this, there does seem to be a real difference with our match-going home crowd compared to the likes of Forest, Villa, Derby, Wolves - which is why we're sometimes referred to as the Fulham of the Midlands.

Never heard anyone refer to us as the Fulham of the Midlands. I remember us getting plaudits from everywhere for our atmosphere when we won the PL so we know we're capable of making a racket when we want to.

I was behind the singing section on Saturday and despite the efforts of UFS and some others, I thought it was generally poor.  

I know everyone has a responsibility to lift the team and sing their hearts out but fvck me it's a challenge when we're being served up the current dross.

58 minutes ago, Trekerz said:

You'd think so but why do our away ends and home ends have a mainly different demographic to the likes of them teams mentioned?

It’s fair point, I think potentially the away priority scheme is a factor where ultimately you can’t get new faces in there because everyone’s place is secure. Home wise, the club are doing everything they can to stop like minded fans being in the same place, so therefore it’s spread out. When it’s spread out, the effect of any singing area is limited. L1 will disappear soon with the expansion so you’d hope they will come over to the singing section. Ultimately the club need to be more engaging with expanding the singing section and introduce safe standing. It’s so frustrating but we are where we are. 

17 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Never heard anyone refer to us as the Fulham of the Midlands. I remember us getting plaudits from everywhere for our atmosphere when we won the PL so we know we're capable of making a racket when we want to.

I was behind the singing section on Saturday and despite the efforts of UFS and some others, I thought it was generally poor.  

I know everyone has a responsibility to lift the team and sing their hearts out but fvck me it's a challenge when we're being served up the current dross.

I think in general we do have quite a poor reputation across the country as a fanbase unfortunately. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

The only song everyone wants to get involved in and it's embarrassing. Everton have won more than we will ever win, let alone Vardy.

Most uncomfortable songs - He's won more than you to a team that have won the 1st Division, FA Cup etc multiple times!

Your city is blue - bad enough but when it's not their city i.e Wolves, Liverpool etc it's doubly embarrassing

Feed the Scousers - appreciate it riles the buggers but weak banter at best. 

Edited by CrazyKopCorner
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Nolucklcfc said:

I think in general we do have quite a poor reputation across the country as a fanbase unfortunately. 

The clappers haven't helped with that reputation, but if you asked people who actually visit our place I'd imagine they'd say we're no worse than most grounds these days.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, CrazyKopCorner said:

Most uncomfortable songs - He's won more than you to a team that have won the 1st Division, FA Cup etc multiple times!

Your city of blue - bad enough but when it's not their city i.e Wolves, Liverpool etc it's doubly embarrassing

Feed the Scousers - appreciate it riles the buggers but weak banter at best. 

I'll have to admit that in the early 90s I sang that Leicester were by far the greatest team the world has ever seen . In retrospect I may have been a bit wrong and would like to apologise. 

Also something about Barcelona and Real Madrid not beating us anymore, one again really sorry.  😐 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, los dedos said:

I'll have to admit that in the early 90s I sang that Leicester were by far the greatest team the world has ever seen . In retrospect I may have been a bit wrong and would like to apologise. 

Also something about Barcelona and Real Madrid not beating us anymore, one again really sorry.  😐 

Those songs have a real plucky optimism I'd say 

The ones I've highlighted are more than a bit embarrassing - but we're football fans not Serge Pizzorno 

Our atmosphere has been pants for a few years now and I think you can say fairly comfortably we're far worse than comparable clubs, Wolves, Forest, Coventry etc. Don't remember this always being the case but it certainly is now. Have we been spoilt with success or is it just something about our fanbase that we're less passionate than Wolves for instance. It's a shame because we have decent numbers of fans and on the whole been a good club to support in the past few years.

2 hours ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

The clappers haven't helped with that reputation, but if you asked people who actually visit our place I'd imagine they'd say we're no worse than most grounds these days.

I was saying this not long back. Any of them away vlogs at our ground that I watch, not one say we are terrible. Few say good and most just say it's decent. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

I was saying this not long back. Any of them away vlogs at our ground that I watch, not one say we are terrible. Few say good and most just say it's decent. 

A lot of grounds are poor e.g Everton is terrible, Newcastle was garbage for years, Liverpool good for 2 minutes maximum, Old Trafford so quiet for 76,000 etc but we are very introspective looking 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

We aren't. Off the top of my head I can't remember the last away I went to where the home end wasn't quiet. I just think atmosphere's have been sucked out of the game today, particularly top division and second division.

When we got relegated last season people said how Championship atmosphere's would be better but a lot of places I went to, if not all, were quiet. Even the so called "better" places such as Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds (the latter are brilliant at MOT and then fall silent).

You even have to look at the best team in England, yesterday needed their fans so much when they were losing yet they were quiet. The only noise were groans whenever their defenders went sideways with the ball.

There's got to be a reason why Pep, Klopp, Mourinho and even Fergie have all moaned about atmosphere's in this country.

Edited by Fox92
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, los dedos said:

This has been done time and time again but these songs are totally different to singing a player has won more than the opposition team when he hasn't. Not sure if people are just not aware of their football history. A lot of people in the ground on Saturday would have been alive when Everton would at least three, maybe even four, of their top division titles and two of their FA Cups. It's got nothing to do with winding opposition fans up either, it just looks stupid. I might start it on Saturday at Arsenal and see if anyone joins in..

• Like 1

Fulham of the Midlands LOLLLLL. Can't think of anything we have in common with Fulham, one of the richest boroughs in the country with the average match-goer wearing fitted Hermes shorts after getting their beard trimmed at Stuart Phillips.

Arsenal is prob a fairer comparison. Generally quiet with very unoriginal songs. We STILL sing who came third in a two horse race to Spurs. I remember a post on here from a bloke who got bullied at school in the 1970s by Liverpool fans as his justification for singing feed the scousers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Fulham of the Midlands LOLLLLL. Can't think of anything we have in common with Fulham, one of the richest boroughs in the country with the average match-goer wearing fitted Hermes shorts after getting their beard trimmed at Stuart Phillips.

Arsenal is prob a fairer comparison. Generally quiet with very unoriginal songs. We STILL sing who came third in a two horse race to Spurs. I remember a post on here from a bloke who got bullied at school in the 1970s by Liverpool fans as his justification for singing feed the scousers!

Luckily back in the day the Liverpool (cough) fans tended to out number us but those that supported us tended to be the proper lunatics at my school so the Liverpool lot had no chance of bullying us 

• Haha 1

The fact of the matter is almost every teams home atmosphere sucks and is shit all the time bar a few games a season at most. In comparison to the home teams in away games I’ve been to I honestly think we have a better home atmosphere than a lot of teams. It’s just a shame that to have a better home atmosphere than most still means it is dreadful 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Yeah I reckon that is slightly more accurate than the Fulham shout.