Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
1884Man

Stadium atmosphere

I am going to be very careful in this debate - but nobody criticising the kid has mentioned or suggested the social class he may or may not come from. Only those seeking to defend him, at least 2 people have mentioned it.

As for demonisation of the working class, that's come straight from the richest in society, and I cannot be doing with being blamed for it because of the social class I was born into. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Working class people at a working class sport. Who'd have thought it. 

For the record, I'm 'working class' and that's got nothing to do with it. If you think that sort of behaviour at his age is acceptable, that's your choice but class has nothing to do with it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SK3Blue said:

For the record, I'm 'working class' and that's got nothing to do with it. If you think that sort of behaviour at his age is acceptable, that's your choice but class has nothing to do with it. 

You're right, the kid clearly has no class...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, SK3Blue said:

And I guess if you think it's acceptable to talk down to people that's your choice as well. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Obviously better they yell a bit at the away fans than, yknow, beat their wife and kids or something. If it was that simple, that is. 

But I think it's pretty naive - almost offensively so - to suggest that people with genuine violent urges can be stopped from being abusive as long as they get to act a knob at the football once a week. 

If you're predisposed to abuse and you've got problems managing your anger then you have those problems and they should be acknowledged and worked on not dismissed, rationalised, minimalised or normalised in any way with "oh he'll be fine, he made willy puller signs at Cardiff this week, the kids are safe."

That's not to say I have a problem with yelling or swearing at the football. I don't have a violent bone in my body, I haven't punched anyone since I was 12 and I've never felt the urge to as an adult. I hope I never need to be in a fight. But I still get angry, emotive and swear and rant my tits off at the football. I've got no problem with anyone else doing that. You can be passionate without being violent and I don't think stadiums need to be PG13 spaces. 

But come on. Please don't make out its important for The Lads to get to act like complete cvnts to "let off some steam." Think that's flying way too close to dangerously enabling abuse, particularly given how much concerning data there is linking domestic violence to match days. 

That's not the link I was trying to make. I certainly wasn't trying to say enabling behaviour like that is going to stop people predisposed to domestic abuse from being the evil cvnts they are.

The point I was trying to make is that in the over-sanitised football culture we have here, there needs to be allowance made for a younger - often easily-influenced - demographic to let their aggression out in a way that's going to cause minimal harm to others (if you can claim what the kid in the video's doing is harmful to anyone else at all). Otherwise, they're just going to seek their kicks away from the stadium in a more violent way that's more likely to cause harm to innocent people.

4 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I wouldn't call his behaviour even that aggressive, it's just embarrassing. 

I'd personally be embarrassed if that was my child. And fvck anyone bringing class in to it, I know a fvck tone of working class people who'd be mortified if their kid his age was being that much of a little chav. 

Given the extremely high probability that his parent or guardian is somewhere in close proximity to him it makes it an even more hideous reflection on them quite frankly. 

If his dad wasn't  a complete **** he'd have him on the other side of him so that he could enjoy goading the away fans himself. 

Spoilt little shit 

Edited by Lako42
  • Haha 2

Guest Fox99
2 hours ago, SemperEadem said:

For its continued success the club would need to look at ways to both link the singers at the front and back and possibly more importantly facilitate movers for those that still over a season in stand there mouth shut forcibly. 

Yep. I've noticed myself away from home as well, there seems to be too many in the fanbase who choose not to get involved. Naturally like other clubs there's always going to be some who prefer not to be vocal. However, we've probably got too many like that which is why our away support is often said to be fine in numbers but not so much in noise. This is of course the same for home games in the main.

Guest Fox99
15 hours ago, hebangsthedrums said:

I've said it before and I think I'm in a minority but I just wish we had a better version of WYS to play - I'd love to join in but I just can't get David Brent and his guitar out of my head when it comes on

To be fair, others have the same viewpoint which is obviously valid. Personally speaking I’m fine with the current version and seems like it’s growing stronger. Any version naturally has to suit a football stadium and I feel this one does.

Edited by AlexFT

12 minutes ago, Simmo86 said:

You don’t know anything about that kid and his dad. You’ve seen a 10 second video of them, all I see is a kid showing a bit of passion for his football club.

Interesting take on Passion, especially if he had something lobbed at him for his goading, I'm sure that would make bigger headlines. And I said I'd rather not be his dad, rather than claim to know his dad! 

2 hours ago, SK3Blue said:

Agreed - his parents must look at that video and be ashamed.

• Like 2

That kid is doing perfectly normal footy things. A lot of us have done it when we were younger, just depends if he grows to decide he wants to join the Stone Island crew or just have some banter like the rest of us.

Blowing off steam is a very real and normal thing, but you have to consider the over-riding culture behind it. It's like how raving in the 90s was credited with helping to stave off football hooliganism - lads found an outlet taking E and sweating balls at the Hacienda that didn't involve kicking seven bells out of one another.

Personally, I've seen a worrying change in the mood amongst 'lads' at the footy in the past couple of years, almost certainly connected to cocaine becoming readily available. Oh, to go back to the time when lads were hotboxing in the toilets instead! Rather mellow twats than tweaking ones.

I'm rambling. What does this have to do with the matchday atmosphere again? lol

• Like 1

Guest Fox99
20 hours ago, Spudulike said:

We seem to beat ourselves up about our lack of atmosphere. But having a look around other forums you'll see the exact same conversations. I'm not sure if we're any worse or better than almost all stadiums. Football and football fans have changed with the nice stadiums and the chess board style game we watch doesn't always provoke excitement and noise. 

I don't know what it sounds like on the telly but I think there's always a buzz around even during the times of not much going on. My sister went on Saturday, big fan but can't often go, and texted me afterwards to say how brilliant the atmosphere was and the deafening noise when we scored the winner. 

Good points made, especially after the winner it was top notch.

Edited by AlexFT

I also don't see anything wrong with what the kid is doing. He's having some fun at the footy, im sure the away fans had a giggle to themselves about it too.  But maybe if any of the other boring people in the crowd had some of the passion he has we might have a better atmosphere. I'm sure the people disgusted by it would have loved it if he was dressed head to toe in club gear and trying to catch the t shirt out of the t shirt cannon at half time on the screen.

• Like 2

Guest Sideshow Faes

If you were a working class kid 100 years ago you'd have got a pasting for acting up like that.

Class isn't the issue.

The fact we have a significant proportion of the population that thinks it's clever to act like this is the issue.