Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
1884Man

Stadium atmosphere

7 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

We've been seeing large groups of fans walking out, whatever the context of the game, for a number of years now - even in situations where we've been pushing for last-minute winners and so on. There have been numerous issues over the years where roadworks have affected journeys away from the ground over the years and there was never the kind of mass exodus we now see every week.

Only home game I've missed this season is Bristol, apart from the Preston game I've not seen anything out of the ordinary that hasn't been happening since i started going in the late 80's. not sure why people are so obsessed with it either tbh, if we all did the same thing life would be incredibly boring

and btw, this is from someone who was the only person left on 3 rows of seats in L1 after we went 3 nil down against Liverpool last season and stayed until the death so I'm certainly not defending those that go early

Edited by guest123

37 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

It’s really poor. Look at Old Trafford before McTominay scored those two goals, it’s completely full and they were 1-0 down.

Enzo and the players deserve better. Not a load of nobheads leaving so they can make it back in time for TV Burp. 

You see it completely different on TV. I had the misfortune of going to West Ham Vs Man U a few seasons back (kid wanted wanted to see Ronaldo, but he learnt fast not to go to the London Stadium). It was the game where West Ham got a penalty in stoppage time and they subbed on Mark Noble who then missed it. Bloody hilarious.

About 10 mins before the end fans were streaming out of the stadium. I reckon on one corner of the pitch is was less than 2/3 full by the time of the penalty incident and my wife made lots of comments why did half of the West Ham fans miss the end of the game. When we watched Match of the Day you would have assumed everyone was still in the stadium. They can be very clever with the camera work.

Personally, didn't notice many leaving early on Saturday. I know plenty do, but it feels nothing like it did at the London Stadium.

Edited by Chelmofox

10 minutes ago, guest123 said:

Only home game I've missed this season is Bristol, apart from the Preston game I've not seen anything out of the ordinary that hasn't been happening since i started going in the late 80's. not sure why people are so obsessed with it either tbh, if we all did the same thing life would be incredibly boring

and btw, this is from someone who was the only person left on 3 rows of seats in L1 after we went 3 nil down against Liverpool last season and stayed until the death so I'm certainly not defending those that go early

I get your point that leaving early has always happened to some degree - I agree - but you seriously can't say that it used to happen on this scale in the circumstances I've described before recent years. The only time you'd see that kind of mass exodus was if we were taking an absolute hammering at home.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

I get your point that leaving early has always happened to some degree - I agree - but you seriously can't say that it used to happen on this scale in the circumstances I've described before recent years. The only time you'd see that kind of mass exodus was if we were taking an absolute hammering at home.

honestly think it's being over exaggerated, like I said, Preston was the only one where I thought wow. but you could also argue the last 2 games it was job done and game put to bed, just like when we're getting spanked. but as said it doesn't bother me and i wait anyway

• Like 2

14 hours ago, blueharmie said:

Remember when they used to say it was quiet in the stands as the noise filters to the pitch 🤔

The only way you'll ever create and atmosphere is move to L1 and surrounding area, but since day one the club didn't want this.

So basically the atmosphere will always be shite as only pockets of fans sing.

L1 has been dead for years, you realise when you leave.

• Like 1

I was in West Stand, C Block and it was the worst I've ever seen whilst winning. We should've been celebrating yet another top performance and 3 points whilst we were looking to get a third or fourth goal. It was the best part of the match. Loved it but found it weird having acres of empty seats around me. I'm not sure that it is all to do with roadworks etc as so many were still sitting in cars queuing round the back of the East Stand trying to get out. Leaving early was a nil gain for them and I tried to resist feeling smug as I walked past. It's all puzzling. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RonnieTodger said:

It’s really poor. Look at Old Trafford before McTominay scored those two goals, it’s completely full and they were 1-0 down.

Enzo and the players deserve better. Not a load of nobheads leaving so they can make it back in time for TV Burp. 

3 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

You see it completely different on TV. I had the misfortune of going to West Ham Vs Man U a few seasons back (kid wanted wanted to see Ronaldo, but he learnt fast not to go to the London Stadium). It was the game where West Ham got a penalty in stoppage time and they subbed on Mark Noble who then missed it. Bloody hilarious.

About 10 mins before the end fans were streaming out of the stadium. I reckon on one corner of the pitch is was less than 2/3 full by the time of the penalty incident and my wife made lots of comments why did half of the West Ham fans miss the end of the game. When we watched Match of the Day you would have assumed everyone was still in the stadium. They can be very clever with the camera work.

Personally, didn't notice many leaving early on Saturday. I know plenty do, but it feels nothing like it did at the London Stadium.

Old Trafford is one of the worse grounds for it, if not the worse. I've been to Old Trafford nearly 10 times and each time, doesn't matter where they are or where we are in the league table, they stream out. Same happened at Arsenal too (not sure if it still does given they are are better now).

You can't judge games from TV, it's totally different to actually being there.

People compare to other teams when other forums have this same discussion. People talk about how standing would improve things yet go onto Villa's forum and they are all criticising their atmosphere yet most, if not all, of the Holte End stand.

48 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Old Trafford is one of the worse grounds for it, if not the worse. I've been to Old Trafford nearly 10 times and each time, doesn't matter where they are or where we are in the league table, they stream out. Same happened at Arsenal too (not sure if it still does given they are are better now).

You can't judge games from TV, it's totally different to actually being there.

People compare to other teams when other forums have this same discussion. People talk about how standing would improve things yet go onto Villa's forum and they are all criticising their atmosphere yet most, if not all, of the Holte End stand.

Ours is visually empty on TV and Old Trafford wasn’t. 

Of course not every person stayed behind but it looked a lot fuller than our place is my point. 

There is just a strange culture at this place now of leaving early that I used to associate with the big London clubs, of whom I always just assumed it was linked to crap transport and whatnot. But ours really is on a level of its own nowadays. I can't name another ground where it's any worse, and it's regardless of result as well. It's really peculiar.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

There is just a strange culture at this place now of leaving early that I used to associate with the big London clubs, of whom I always just assumed it was linked to crap transport and whatnot. But ours really is on a level of its own nowadays. I can't name another ground where it's any worse, and it's regardless of result as well. It's really peculiar.

I would be interested to know how many people drive into the games compared to other football grounds still in the city.

The bus and rail service from the county is a disgrace even by British standards.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

It's very much not exclusive to us. Pretty much the same everywhere, particularly for city based clubs.  Is it a by product of poor road and rail infrastructure, habit or something else, I don't know.

For instance amongst my friends who I go to Ashton Gate with, we actually do a sweepstake every home game, as to what minute the away fans start to sing "is there a fire drill" as the place empties out......seems to get earlier each week.

Struggle to understand it, especially with the amount of late goals that seem to get scored these days.

Edited by Brizzle Fox

39 minutes ago, GlennyFox55 said:

I would be interested to know how many people drive into the games compared to other football grounds still in the city.

The bus and rail service from the county is a disgrace even by British standards.

I'd be interested to know if Tigers fans have a similar problem with people leaving early seeing as plenty of them live in the county.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

One possible reason for leaving early is the delaying in getting out of the ground after the final whistle.

Fans stand in the gangways & stairs restricting the flow fans wanting to exit the stadium. 

The stewards are all too focused on a pitch invasion which is never coming. If they placed a couple on the stairs to help with the flow after the whistle some might not leave so early?

(The above is an example for me in L block as they're only one exit out of the concourse).

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

One possible reason for leaving early is the delaying in getting out of the ground after the final whistle.

It's certainly a factor, especially for newer all-seater stadia.

The problem is that most of them were built on the cheap, and they don't have enough exits for people sitting in the middle/rear parts of the stand.   Since day one (2002),  people in the front sections have been able to get out pretty quickly ... it's the other 2/3 in the stand that get stuck for ages for anywhere near a capacity crowd.

What it really needs is an exit staircase at the back of every block.  Of course, this is never going to happen, as it would cost money.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I think the level we're on is exclusive to us. It happens to an extent anywhere but I'm talking literally over half of the crowd are gone when the board goes up. The reasons about our infrastructure and whatnot is completely valid but ours has gone so far with that many leaving that I doubt those leaving early even really gain that much out of it.

It happens everywhere but I'm genuinely yet to visit a ground where it's as bad as it is here and it's a new fad. Didn't used to happen to this extent five years ago.

As has been said by a few people, it really isn't.    Over the last decade, clubs like West Ham and Man City have been as bad as anyone (to name 2 that spring to mind).

• Like 4

I'd like to see some examples of what people have gained by leaving early. Not very much, I'd wager. Are there any Foxes Talkers that can help? 

It does seem habitual for some with many more following believing that it's the thing to do (fomo?). 

I don't understand it but haven't asked anyone why they do it as I'm still engrossed in the game which is often at the most exciting stage. 

Can almost guarantee the same people who were giving stick to those who were booing the players and lack of effort last seasin when we got relegated are majority of the same people who leave early and don’t bother to show their appreciation as they obviously love to do so much 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

I'd like to see some examples of what people have gained by leaving early. Not very much, I'd wager. Are there any Foxes Talkers that can help? 

It does seem habitual for some with many more following believing that it's the thing to do (fomo?). 

I don't understand it but haven't asked anyone why they do it as I'm still engrossed in the game which is often at the most exciting stage. 

Barely anything I would guess, what are you going to gain? 10/15 mins? All they are doing is going home to be boring, watch Netflix and 'have a chilled one mate' anyway. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

It's certainly a factor, especially for newer all-seater stadia.

The problem is that most of them were built on the cheap, and they don't have enough exits for people sitting in the middle/rear parts of the stand.   Since day one (2002),  people in the front sections have been able to get out pretty quickly ... it's the other 2/3 in the stand that get stuck for ages for anywhere near a capacity crowd.

What it really needs is an exit staircase at the back of every block.  Of course, this is never going to happen, as it would cost money.

They used to let us out down the front, used to be quicker than going up and down into the concourse, but I don't think they do that anymore. They've put up gates at the bottom of every stairwell as well anyway.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

Barely anything I would guess, what are you going to gain? 10/15 mins? All they are doing is going home to be boring, watch Netflix and 'have a chilled one mate' anyway. 

I mean, I very rarely leave early, but you're just assuming people's lives. People do different things, have got different things to do and need to get to different places. I know the guy in front of me lives the other side of the country so rushes for a train otherwise he's waiting around if he misses it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Weller Wing said:

People will still leave early when The Goat announces his last game and will do a lap of appreciation at the final whistle. 

That's how bad some of our fans are, unfortunately 😕 

If we won the league I hope all those that leave early continue to do so and miss us lifting the trophy. Need to miss the traffic like any other day! 

9 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

As has been said by a few people, it really isn't.    Over the last decade, clubs like West Ham and Man City have been as bad as anyone (to name 2 that spring to mind).

I don't agree but agree to disagree. Ours is mental.