Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
1884Man

Stadium atmosphere

On 09/10/2023 at 10:32, guest123 said:

this is from someone who was the only person left on 3 rows of seats in L1 after we went 3 nil down against Liverpool last season and stayed until the death

Only so you could tell @Raj off for swearing?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Batfink77 said:

We've got an excellent manager and team that want to play for us and one another. Make no mistake people will view what we currently have with envious eyes and come after players and enzo.  Do you think perhaps as fans that, as equally as we should show our disapproval when we had the dross manager and team mentality of last season, that just maybe we should also show just how much we appreciate what manager and players are doing on the pitch now? The indifference our fan base shows by walking out early whether bad or good makes a mockery of the message we can send. I want enzo and the boys to know we appreciate what they are currently achieving. It feels pathetically hollow as I stand there applauding them with row upon row of empty seats in front of me.

Quite a big chunk are fans who don't live in Leicester needing to exit early for train/car journeys. All the other ones are dicks though and on occasion that includes me. What matters most is whether we give it the beans for most of the game which I most certainly do. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bob666 said:

Here you go - on average, I save an hour by leaving on 85 mins compared to waiting to full time.  Why?  I leave home at 10am (Sat match) & due to traffic, I may arrive at 1pm or 2.30pm in Leicester. Having parked on Freeman's Common for 25 years, after the match, I can either sit in a traffic queue & take 60 mins+ to get out of Leicester or leave early & save 60 by leaving early.  

Prior to this season, I could leave on 90 mins & avoid the masses.  I agree this year, it's getting worse!!

Ultimately, the lads don't care whether I'm still there on 85, 90 or 96 mins.  Occasionally, I do stay due to family commitments or staying over & clap the lads off - does KDH, Vards, etc give a monkeys: No!  Same as when I go to away matches & don't need to rush off as the traffic is less worse than Leicester.

Ultimately, you pays your money, you make your choices.  Mine is to avoid an extra hour on a return journey which could take me another 3 or 4.5 hours to get home.  No one forces me to support LCFC, no one pays for my season ticket, no one gives a tozz whether I'm there at the end or not.

I love my club & it's my choice to spend 9/10 hours+ driving to/from a match.  However for the sake of 5-10 mins, I avoid an additional guaranteed 60 mins of sitting in a traffic jam driving out of Leicester with those driving either further afield or maybe just to Wigston, Glenfield, etc 

Interesting read, thanks. I'm not that dissimilar to you in that I have a 2 1/2 hour drive home by the time I reach the M1/M69 junction. Perhaps just me but after making that much effort/cost to be there I want to stay until the end. I don't  believe that I could possibly save 60 minutes by leaving on 85 and missing what is often the most crucial part of the match (as much as 15 mins!). That may be because there is no way that I would park on Freeman's Common. Not surprising that you want to avoid that! I don't know if you are able to walk a bit further but it's far better to stroll past the queuing cars to one of the side roads off Welford Rd and miss that jam. Obviously not plain sailing after that but it gets you ahead of the game. 

The bottom line is that I will happily give up 60 mins to be able to see out the crucial final stages. How many goals or incidents would've been missed had we done so. My son and I always have a laugh after scoring a late winner or just  before half time about those that left early. The guy that sits next to me left a match early a few seasons ago and missed the Slab Head equaliser against ManU. He's vowed never to do that again, and hasn't. I'd be distraught to be walking up Raw Dykes Road and hearing the stadium going crazy because we'd scored.

I've never left early so don't know if I could actually save 60 mins. I really don't believe I could. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

The number of people who have a four-hour trip to games are in an absolute minority, though. Again, people would expect *a few* fans each game to leave because of circumstances like that - there's no way half of the stadium have that excuse.

Dunno if it's just me, but sitting in a warm car in a traffic jam after a game with my old man listening to the Moan-In or Sports Report on the radio used to be part of the fun of a matchday for me? Almost feels like actually going to games is a borderline inconvenience for people if they're determined to leave early every game, whatever the context of the match.

I agree with this. Remember sitting on a completely closed M1 with my engine off for 9 hours in -3 degrees after Nacho's VAR goal against Everton in 2019, getting home at 5am and then up at 6.30am for work. Loving life, heart FM blasting out. Moments like that are why you put in the miles. Then again also often thinking what is the point of all this when getting home in the small hours after a drab 0-0 or limp 1-0 defeat.

Horses for courses at the end of the day and for such a frivolous issue, no one is right or wrong. But if you're already doing a 9/10 hour round trip, logic dictates you wouldn't risk the potentially best part of the day to save 10% of your total journey time and miss 10% of the actual reason you've done the journey. Those with the long journeys surely have even more reason to stay until the end.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Interesting read, thanks. I'm not that dissimilar to you in that I have a 2 1/2 hour drive home by the time I reach the M1/M69 junction. Perhaps just me but after making that much effort/cost to be there I want to stay until the end. I don't  believe that I could possibly save 60 minutes by leaving on 85 and missing what is often the most crucial part of the match (as much as 15 mins!). That may be because there is no way that I would park on Freeman's Common. Not surprising that you want to avoid that! I don't know if you are able to walk a bit further but it's far better to stroll past the queuing cars to one of the side roads off Welford Rd and miss that jam. Obviously not plain sailing after that but it gets you ahead of the game. 

The bottom line is that I will happily give up 60 mins to be able to see out the crucial final stages. How many goals or incidents would've been missed had we done so. My son and I always have a laugh after scoring a late winner or just  before half time about those that left early. The guy that sits next to me left a match early a few seasons ago and missed the Slab Head equaliser against ManU. He's vowed never to do that again, and hasn't. I'd be distraught to be walking up Raw Dykes Road and hearing the stadium going crazy because we'd scored.

I've never left early so don't know if I could actually save 60 mins. I really don't believe I could. 

Are you me? Eerily similar post, wow. Double like, also have no idea how leaving on 85 mins saves AN HOUR of journey time, but I took that as read.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

I'm sure there is a ''I'm a better fan than you'' culture at most clubs and it boils down to whether you sing, stand up, dont use a clapper, dont use a flask, sing or don't sing WYS loud enough *takes breath* make sure you hate the fan cam, goal music, stewarding, price of pints, volume of the music pre match, volume of the music post match, season ticket cards and now whether you leave early or not. 

Why can't people just show up to the match, enjoy it how they want and go home? Why is everyone bothered about what everyone else is doing, can't get my head around it. Must be pretty stressful worrying about all this stuff lol 

Not sure that anyone is saying that. I find it interesting why someone will go to so much effort to attend then leave with the match on a knife edge. I'm feeling the most tension at that point. Not saying they are wrong to leave early but trying to understand why some in ever greater numbers do it. 

6 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

Not sure that anyone is saying that. I find it interesting why someone will go to so much effort to attend then leave with the match on a knife edge. I'm feeling the most tension at that point. Not saying they are wrong to leave early but trying to understand why some in ever greater numbers do it. 

I'm guessing some people value something greater like sitting in traffic for a long period of time as a good trade off for leaving 5 mins early. 

• Like 3

Also this season those players and staff deserve applauds and support for their efforts. Personally think it must be a tad dis-spiriting to see empty seats at the final whistle. 

Actually have more at issue with the 35 minutes onwards club 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Like 1

Just to throw a spanner in the works a bit for all those saying you should stay to the end. What's the difference to all those leaving as early as 35 mins to stand in a concourse to get a beer? Yes you have a tv however not all away ends do. Do the lads not deserve clapping off at half time either?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foxes1 said:

Most annoying thing about some of the early leavers if something looks like it's going to happen they stop on the stairs instead of carrying on walking block the view of the pitch etc. If you want to go early then go don't block other people's views.

Couldn't agree more, if you're going, go when the balls gone out for a throw in / goal kick etc. Don't wait, like the 3 blokes on the row in front of me at the Bristol game, until we are just about to take a corner, causing the whole row to stand up just as the balls coming in, I know we don't score many from corners but I would have liked to have had the chance to see it. This was on about 40 minutes , same 3 blokes that arrived 5 minutes into the game.

33 minutes ago, steve555 said:

Couldn't agree more, if you're going, go when the balls gone out for a throw in / goal kick etc. Don't wait, like the 3 blokes on the row in front of me at the Bristol game, until we are just about to take a corner, causing the whole row to stand up just as the balls coming in, I know we don't score many from corners but I would have liked to have had the chance to see it. This was on about 40 minutes , same 3 blokes that arrived 5 minutes into the game.

It’s obviously not the same but I’ve always liked the unwritten rule at Test Matches in Cricket where you don’t move until the end of the over. You make a good point about waiting until a break in play though, I think that’s just fairly courteous common sense but appreciate the breaks are a lot shorter so maybe doesn’t occur to people in that way. 

• Like 2

I kind of understand leaving early when the game is already settled and we're 2 or 3 up or down but if it's still 1-1 or in the balance somehow I'd be fuming if I missed a winner or late equaliser, especially if you've gone to the effort of a 3 hour drive and you miss something.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Interesting read, thanks. I'm not that dissimilar to you in that I have a 2 1/2 hour drive home by the time I reach the M1/M69 junction. Perhaps just me but after making that much effort/cost to be there I want to stay until the end. I don't  believe that I could possibly save 60 minutes by leaving on 85 and missing what is often the most crucial part of the match (as much as 15 mins!).

That was pretty much the point I was going to make.

It's funny how you can look at the same thing from a completely opposite perspective.   Quite a few people have said that because they have a long journey, they want to get away quickly.   But to me, that's back-to-front logic.   I used to live 3 hours drive away, and whether I got delayed 20 or 30 minutes in Leicester, was a bit irrelevant.   The long drive up the motorway(s) was what ultimately took most of the time.   And because I'd driven so far, spent so much in fuel, and made the effort to go ... the least I could do is actually stay and watch the whole thing!

• Like 4