Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
1884Man

Stadium atmosphere

7 hours ago, Expatfox said:

I'm older than the average fan; I remember 42,000 crowds at Filbert Street, with an absolutely electric atmosphere. Sadly, those days have gone; sanitised, American style, 'family friendly' match days. I went to Grimsby Town with a mate recently; banging atmosphere, proper chanting, hard core fans. With a quarter of the crowd attendance! Woke niceness hasn't reached Blundell Park yet....

Woke niceness 🤣🤣🤣 

For what it’s worth I think that it’s too expensive (as is football in general at the top two levels). It leads to crowds which are representative of people who can afford to go whereas I’m sure Grimsby prices are more reflective of the socio economic circumstances within the town. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Goes round in circles this thread every game. Sounded decent on the tele at time but nothing will drastically change until we get a proper kop end.

But saying that, with the expansion of the ground if the club stop L1 standing that will be detrimental to the atmosphere. 

Edited by ren

It’s a crap atmosphere and has been for some time.

It won’t change until something significant changes (e.g. a standing area). The people who do make a noise need to be close to each other to generate atmosphere. Rather than dispersed by those who like to watch in quiet reflection 

Meanwhile why would it change? It’s generally the same people, in the same seats, season after season … 

For me, it's so totally and utterly simple.

You cannot generate a loud atmosphere when the vast majority of your vocal fans are split into two separate sections. That is, Union FS and that end of the Kop, and L/K Blocks.

I sit almost bang on the halfway line, so I can hear both sections. Often you will have both blocks singing different songs at the same time, both of which sound quiet from where I am. 

On the very rare occasions both sections are singing the same thing, they are usually at least 2 seconds out of time with each other. This invariably makes the song fizzle out.

If you could find a way to bring these fans together (and others who feel they can't be vocal where they are), perhaps in a dedicated standing section, or by swapping the Kop and the Family Stand, you'd solve the problem overnight.

The club isn't bothered though.

On last night, the atmosphere was worse than usual. I think weekday night games generally do have a worse atmosphere. Not having WYS before kick off maybe didn't help, as did the fact Sunderland really took the game to us.

Even the Sunderland fans, who travelled in large numbers, were rarely loud. I expected them to really embarrass us but they didn't.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Hate to break it to you, but if we were just going to have "a load of people singing" then that would have happened by now too.

1. People need to accept getting organised is the only way to go in a day and age where fans who want to actively support their clubs are up against with the way football has gone.

2. It's fun. Give me bouncing, scarf-swinging, flag-waving every day of the week over standing, arms folded, looking moody for the sake of it.

3. The "most never even going to Filbert Street" thing - you can't seriously blame younger lads (I'm not in that bracket, by the way, and am old and lucky enough to remember Filbo well) who want something more out of their matchday for being born after we moved. They wouldn't have to try and "recreate" anything if the generations before them hadn't failed so badly at trying to carry on that "culture or history" in the first place.

4. Doubt there's anyone in the ground who sing more traditional Leicester chants every game than the lads who do "the ultra stuff".

The irony is that if the amount of blokes who moaned about this kind of stuff had got organised themselves at any point over the past 20 years then they'd be the biggest mob in the ground and could do whatever they wanted.

Spontaneity is what it about, like the 3 Asian kids at Blackburn in the 2nd half starting pretty much all the singing. Sunderland didn’t need any organising to have a great away end. 

plus my comments about the kop, said it many times on here, it’s dead, it’s gone and people think that will change because we had a decent kop at filbert street. End of the day the best atmosphere will only ever be created if the singing fans are close to the away end. 

awaits the next home game when all this shit comes around again

5 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

For me, it's so totally and utterly simple.

You cannot generate a loud atmosphere when the vast majority of your vocal fans are split into two separate sections. That is, Union FS and that end of the Kop, and L/K Blocks.

I sit almost bang on the halfway line, so I can hear both sections. Often you will have both blocks singing different songs at the same time, both of which sound quiet from where I am. 

On the very rare occasions both sections are singing the same thing, they are usually at least 2 seconds out of time with each other. This invariably makes the song fizzle out.

If you could find a way to bring these fans together (and others who feel they can't be vocal where they are), perhaps in a dedicated standing section, or by swapping the Kop and the Family Stand, you'd solve the problem overnight.

The club isn't bothered though.

On last night, the atmosphere was worse than usual. I think weekday night games generally do have a worse atmosphere. Not having WYS before kick off maybe didn't help, as did the fact Sunderland really took the game to us.

Even the Sunderland fans, who travelled in large numbers, were rarely loud. I expected them to really embarrass us but they didn't.

Agree with all of that bar the last bit, but I was closer to their fans in k1

3 minutes ago, guest123 said:

Spontaneity is what it about, like the 3 Asian kids at Blackburn in the 2nd half starting pretty much all the singing. Sunderland didn’t need any organising to have a great away end. 

plus my comments about the kop, said it many times on here, it’s dead, it’s gone and people think that will change because we had a decent kop at filbert street. End of the day the best atmosphere will only ever be created if the singing fans are close to the away end. 

You had from 2002-2013 to be spontaneous, then some people decided that organisation was the way to go, and now that's the only part of the stand making any noise at all, and the "spontaneous" people seem to still not be around, oddly.

I know that everyone is free to do as they please, but I was shocked to see so many people leaving at 80-85 minutes during what was a very close, tense game. It reminded of games last season when we were losing by 2 or 3 goals and Amartey and Faes were doing their Chuckle Brother thing at the back. 

19 minutes ago, guest123 said:

Spontaneous songs get sung in SK1 too, which didn't feel very "dead" at all last night.

If you need a good away end to bring decent home support then you're going to be disappointed 90% of the time in this division.

9 hours ago, Mee-9 said:

Some people just like to watch the game and enjoy the footy, not sing and chant and scream all 90 minutes long.

Doesn't make them less of a supporter. 

Let people do their own thing, too many ultras about who think they're the Second coming of Green Street. 

Yes it does. Look up supporter in the dictionary. Watching the game in silence makes you an observer not a supporter.

Enzo piled straight over to SK1 last night to show his appreciation for people who were actually getting behind the team (supporters).

Also this ultras-green street attempted jibe is nonsensical. As irritating as the amount of time I see smoke bombs called flares.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

The Union FS singing section is anything but ,'Green Street' 😂😂

Wasn’t necessarily on about Union FS. They’re the dogs bollocks.

I was on about this mentality that those who sit in certain areas or don’t scream for 90 minutes are lesser fans.

38 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Spontaneous songs get sung in SK1 too, which didn't feel very "dead" at all last night.

If you need a good away end to bring decent home support then you're going to be disappointed 90% of the time in this division.

See this is the crux of it, I presume you are in sk1 every game by what you’ve posted, as with some others who are there and only there and have actually no clue, and I don’t mean that rudely, about other parts of the ground. hull, cov and Sunderland were all superb away ends to be fair to them, which you don’t hear in sk1. Weirdly I also heard sk1 better in the family/west stand corner than being in k1 or m1 so I assume the ground acoustics playing a lot into where the sound travels

edit - my reference to the kop being dead is an overal view of the whole end, which most people in the singing section keep moaning about it

Edited by guest123

42 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

The Kop has no problem singing songs aimed at the referee, yet won’t join in any Leicester chants.

Just bizarre. 

Made me laugh when we had that free kick just outside the box that many thought was a penalty. Most remained stood for the free kick because they'd got up to give the ref abuse, but then immediately sat down when we won a corner from that free kick. lol

Edited by Voll Blau
  • Haha 3

The decline in atmosphere and general change in supporter culture was summed up for me yesterday when a relatively young lad (who I should add was standing up along with the rest of us) in front of me was whinging about the @Union FSguys having their flags up meaning he couldn't see; what an absolute prat.

• Haha 1