Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
1884Man

Stadium atmosphere

2 minutes ago, burleighfox said:

The decline in atmosphere and general change in supporter culture was summed up for me yesterday when a relatively young lad (who I should add was standing up along with the rest of us) in front of me was whinging about the @Union FSguys having their flags up meaning he couldn't see; what an absolute prat.

Which means he was most likely in the section directly behind the UFS rows? I mean if it's his first game and bought there by accident then fair enough but imagine buying those seats knowing what the score is and then moaning about it lol

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, burleighfox said:

the @Union FSguys having their flags up meaning he couldn't see

Happened to me for the spurs game last season.

Tbf it does get quite annoying. You pay to watch the game, not to have a flag in your face.

As a match ticket fan, I started buying tickets further up in the section.

Although I do like UFS waving the flag when we’re playing well and/or at FT and pre-match

• Like 1

1 hour ago, guest123 said:

Spontaneity is what it about, like the 3 Asian kids at Blackburn in the 2nd half starting pretty much all the singing. Sunderland didn’t need any organising to have a great away end. 

plus my comments about the kop, said it many times on here, it’s dead, it’s gone and people think that will change because we had a decent kop at filbert street. End of the day the best atmosphere will only ever be created if the singing fans are close to the away end. 

awaits the next home game when all this shit comes around again

Tbf they stand in the second row of the SK1 section for home games.

33 minutes ago, burleighfox said:

The decline in atmosphere and general change in supporter culture was summed up for me yesterday when a relatively young lad (who I should add was standing up along with the rest of us) in front of me was whinging about the @Union FSguys having their flags up meaning he couldn't see; what an absolute prat.

Yeah,  as if not being able to see the game is annoying. What a  clown 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Some people have to get up for work early, some people have very long drives home

It's the weakest of weak arguments. The exact same people leave at the exact same minute every single game, regardless of day or kick off time. 

The people I see who leave appear to be feeble souls. Meek, selfish, frightened, timid people.who see leaving early as a 'little win'...what kind of existence is that? 😂

• Haha 1

Tongue in cheek suggestion that I can't ever imagine it happening, but if our own vocal fans could voice their discontent with loud boos and the old "Loyal Supporters" chant when people start leaving maybe this could shame a load into staying. 

• Like 2

Where’s the noise from those who attacked me and many others after the West Ham game when we got relegated for showing discontent at the fact we got relegated? Apparently it was ‘our fault’. Bet they’re still sat down quietly arms folded doing the same orchestrated clap for 90 mins. Passion? What’s that 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

I must admit I’m not having the reasoning for leaving early after last night. 

82 mins in, 1-0, both teams playing out probably the game of the season at our place so far. Tense atmosphere. We aren’t talking one or two. It was hundreds which became thousands by 89 mins. 

This was a game live on television. If there’s factors which mean you have to leave early, you might as well have saved the hassle and watched from home/the pub/a neighbour etc. 

If you’ve made the effort on a midweek night for a long journey, you’ll have had to do it on the way there either an early finish or a race to get to kick off on time. So I don’t get it for the sake of 20 to 30 minutes extra 

I would like to point out there are also people who leave to get out of the way before the away fans leave in fear of it kicking off. That sounds stupid but lots of people haven’t got a clue and think they’ll be trouble when there most certainly won’t be

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Gamble92 said:

I'm not defending it because I agree with everything said, but it's a lot more common than we are letting on. Even those so-called great home atmospheres aren't actually very good in this country.

Now Forest have have lost their Premier League novelty their fans are complaining about how bad it's gone there. Look at the way the media wax lyrical about their home fans because of their little song at the start.

Likewise Anfield has never been as good as they make out after YNWA finishes. 

The turning point will be safe standing. If we just make L1 safe standing then nothing will change and we might as well accept it isn't gonna get better. If we make SK1 and SK2 safe standing and everyone moves to the same part there might be a difference. Or make the new stand the family stand when it opens.

This is true, in the top two tiers especially there are few good atmosphere's. Arsenal have done alright recently, and Palace behind the goal are decent but I can't think of anyone else?

• Like 1

The real issue here isn't those who want to sing and those who don't/want to leave early. 

The issue is it not being a stadium that has stands with their own identity to separate the two.

At Filbert Street you had all them years of tradition. You knew where to go and sit depending on that.

They opened a ground with generic stand names, identical stands, no actual "kop" to begin with, a family stand next to away fans (that then become exclusive to those with kids). The odds were always stacked against us creating anything. Combine that with there not being enough general effort to create anything either. 

But what we see as "atmosphere", the club and police see as trouble. The points I've spoken about have all been deliberate to take us as far away from the intimidating nature of Filbert Street. We aren't alone in this. It's happened to Coventry, Cardiff, Southampton etc. It's the way they want football grounds to be now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

The real issue here isn't those who want to sing and those who don't/want to leave early. 

The issue is it not being a stadium that has stands with their own identity to separate the two.

At Filbert Street you had all them years of tradition. You knew where to go and sit depending on that.

They opened a ground with generic stand names, identical stands, no actual "kop" to begin with, a family stand next to away fans (that then become exclusive to those with kids). The odds were always stacked against us creating anything. Combine that with there not being enough general effort to create anything either. 

But what we see as "atmosphere", the club and police see as trouble. The points I've spoken about have all been deliberate to take us as far away from the intimidating nature of Filbert Street. We aren't alone in this. It's happened to Coventry, Cardiff, Southampton etc. It's the way they want football grounds to be now.

The situation originates from making the Kop the cheapest seats in the ground. You’ve gone from the reasoning for sitting there being atmosphere to its the best value. 

• Like 1

People look at filbert street with rose tinted glasses when it was good my god it was good but there was plenty of times where where it would be pretty poor for months on end with 17k rattling around in there. 

The best period of sustained atmosphere in my life time was by the 2 year period between West Ham at the start of the great escape in April 15 and the atletico quarter final in April 17.the atmosphere in the king power those days was mind blowing most weeks. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

People look at filbert street with rose tinted glasses when it was good my god it was good but there was plenty of times where where it would be pretty poor for months on end with 17k rattling around in there. 

The best period of sustained atmosphere in my life time was by the 2 year period between West Ham at the start of the great escape in April 15 and the atletico quarter final in April 17.the atmosphere in the king power those days was mind blowing most weeks. 

Spot on. I thought we'd finally found our feet and given the new stadium all the identity and atmosphere it needed. 

Then the last few years happened.

56 minutes ago, guest123 said:

I would like to point out there are also people who leave to get out of the way before the away fans leave in fear of it kicking off. That sounds stupid but lots of people haven’t got a clue and think they’ll be trouble when there most certainly won’t be

That's a joke, right? Why would you leave early to walk past an away end when you could easily be picked off on your own, rather than wait till literally thousands of people are streaming past just a few minutes later. lol

• Like 1

I think you have to put things into context here, we are never going to create a Red Star/Panathinaikos atmosphere and I actually think our home atmosphere is better than a lot of clubs. Take Blackburn for example, you could hear a pin drop in their ground.. Just have to accept it is generally ok and at times can be really good. As someone mentioned before there aren't many home atmospheres in this country that are good, probably Palace, Leeds and a few others. It is becoming an unnecessary obsession analysing the atmosphere after every single home game 

• Like 4

The over zealous stewarding and policing of the games ain't helping.

Sunderland fan going ballistic at us last night after the "****ing useless" chant was sung by a small group in P block when they squandered another chance.

Turned to look at him and started laughing only to be told, yet again by the same jobsworth steward(ess), to look towards the pitch and watch the game.

Just puts such a downer on things when you are trying to get as much enjoyment and fun out of a game.

Opposition fans shout some banter, you shout banter back, and the stewards are pouncing on you for the slightest thing.

Really does make you feel "Why bother" 

Thank God for away days.

Edited by ElusiveEd

1 hour ago, CosbehFox said:

I must admit I’m not having the reasoning for leaving early after last night. 

82 mins in, 1-0, both teams playing out probably the game of the season at our place so far. Tense atmosphere. We aren’t talking one or two. It was hundreds which became thousands by 89 mins. 

This was a game live on television. If there’s factors which mean you have to leave early, you might as well have saved the hassle and watched from home/the pub/a neighbour etc. 

If you’ve made the effort on a midweek night for a long journey, you’ll have had to do it on the way there either an early finish or a race to get to kick off on time. So I don’t get it for the sake of 20 to 30 minutes extra 

A good part of me wishes I left 5 minutes early last night. Traffic because of road works is an utter joke in the City at the moment. Fog didn't help either.

Got home a good 45 minutes later than normal and felt like shite getting up for work as a result.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Voll Blau said:

That's a joke, right? Why would you leave early to walk past an away end when you could easily be picked off on your own, rather than wait till literally thousands of people are streaming past just a few minutes later. lol

Because they are wet wipes and have no idea. Fair few do it for that reason alone and can’t believe it’s never even been mentioned and people don’t even know it’s a thing

• Haha 1