Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
1884Man

Stadium atmosphere

52 minutes ago, Harpenden Fox said:

Interesting to get your (differing) perspective. Perhaps I’ve just been fortunate. I’ve watched Bayern, Viktoria Köln and Leverkusen in the last year, but I may just have been lucky thus far

You're unlikely to have run into any trouble (again, because it's better organised) but it's definitely happening there week in, week out.

I've been as an ordinary groundhopper to many games and had the same kind of experiences as you too, but found out after the fact that there'd been sometimes quite a lot of violence at some of the games I'd been to. Most would be none the wiser to it unless it happens in the ground though.

I do tend to agree that it is a nationwide problem, Leeds' three ends here since crowds came back have all been worse than I remember, I thought last night they'd be better especially given the scale of the game and the fact they won but it wasn't dissimilar to an end of ours - large periods of silence and piped up when they'd won.

I maintain that ours is beyond repair unless the ground is given a total reshuffle to actually supplement the atmosphere. People have ridiculed this whole swap the kop and the family stand on here for years but other clubs have done similar so I don't see why it's some sort of massive ask at this club. I also don't believe there is a silver bullet as such. I'm pro safe standing but I've never quite bought the notion that introducing that alone will fix everything.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dan LCFC said:

I do tend to agree that it is a nationwide problem, Leeds' three ends here since crowds came back have all been worse than I remember, I thought last night they'd be better especially given the scale of the game and the fact they won but it wasn't dissimilar to an end of ours - large periods of silence and piped up when they'd won.

I maintain that ours is beyond repair unless the ground is given a total reshuffle to actually supplement the atmosphere. People have ridiculed this whole swap the kop and the family stand on here for years but other clubs have done similar so I don't see why it's some sort of massive ask at this club. I also don't believe there is a silver bullet as such. I'm pro safe standing but I've never quite bought the notion that introducing that alone will fix everything.

I've always thought it'd be easier to move the away fans to G block if i'm honest. I know logistically that would cause problems at the end of the game with fans not being able to get straight on buses, but have always thought rather tha swap the two stands, move the away fans. 

Then you'd have the kop and a lot of L block would relocate to the other side. You'd get a better atmosphere, and also the family stand could become a much more family based environment. 

39 minutes ago, Mee-9 said:

I've always thought it'd be easier to move the away fans to G block if i'm honest. I know logistically that would cause problems at the end of the game with fans not being able to get straight on buses, but have always thought rather tha swap the two stands, move the away fans. 

Then you'd have the kop and a lot of L block would relocate to the other side. You'd get a better atmosphere, and also the family stand could become a much more family based environment. 

I think what's very damning for the Kop is that I think if you take SK1 out the family stand is genuinely better now. It to me symoblises everything about how badly our ground is set out to supplement atmosphere.

22 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I think what's very damning for the Kop is that I think if you take SK1 out the family stand is genuinely better now. It to me symoblises everything about how badly our ground is set out to supplement atmosphere.

Keep SK1 and the family stand is still better

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

Thing is its basically always been the South Stand upper tier MK 2 . 

12 hours ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

The problem is we've gone from thousands singing some of the time, to less than a hundred singing all of the time. 

The section is great,  but until it grows it's actually made the overall contribution weaker.

Old news but so have the clappers. They drown out the singing and people think they're contributing but it's just making them join in less vocally. I'm there singing along to "a boy who can do anything" and these drones are just sitting there slapping their cardboard pacifiers with no sort of idea what the song is or who it's about.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, niyaminski said:

Can I just say;

SK1/section always sold out first.

Why not just ask the club to expand it?

Or make another in SK2 so at least that half of the kop has a large number of fans that are singing. Possibly those in the middle of the SK1 section and SK2 section would also stand up and kind of unofficially join them together.

I’ve said something similar before, why can’t the club expand the singing section into sk2 to help them feel involved.. it’s ok saying they probably wont contribute anyways but that is opinion.. 

seems strange because if I can’t get in the section as it’s been said it’s the fastest block of the ground to sell out first I feel like a stroppy teenager who has to just sit there. I don’t feel a part of it so how do you know sk2 don’t feel the same now? 

3 hours ago, MS0204 said:

I’ve said something similar before, why can’t the club expand the singing section into sk2 to help them feel involved.. it’s ok saying they probably wont contribute anyways but that is opinion.. 

seems strange because if I can’t get in the section as it’s been said it’s the fastest block of the ground to sell out first I feel like a stroppy teenager who has to just sit there. I don’t feel a part of it so how do you know sk2 don’t feel the same now? 

They’re not just gonna automatically extend it imo. Need to prove beyond reasonable doubt it’s a success and lobby then relentlessly before that happens.

The whole ground sells out, why would they care if one block sells quickly. 

5 hours ago, grobyfox1990 said:

They’re not just gonna automatically extend it imo. Need to prove beyond reasonable doubt it’s a success and lobby then relentlessly before that happens.

The whole ground sells out, why would they care if one block sells quickly. 

Well if they’re keen to do a questionnaire on the section which they did last year then they could of either included the question of expanding or maybe someone within the know (ie one of the groups) can put it forward. 
One single block where likeminded fans who want to create an atmosphere ain’t working currently as the majority have their st there which leaves a handful of tickets. It’s worth an ask aint it as everyone is always wanting the match day experience to improve 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MS0204 said:

Well if they’re keen to do a questionnaire on the section which they did last year then they could of either included the question of expanding or maybe someone within the know (ie one of the groups) can put it forward. 
One single block where likeminded fans who want to create an atmosphere ain’t working currently as the majority have their st there which leaves a handful of tickets. It’s worth an ask aint it as everyone is always wanting the match day experience to improve 

I think it's clear that without a change in the seating plan nothing will ever improve.  

Like you say we need an larger area thats sold as a singing section.  This will mean moving season ticket holders but other clubs have done this so i'm sure its possible.  The problem lies with the club not being interested.  Without them on board nothing will change.

Until then we'll just be moaning about the poor atmosphere, how people leave early etc etc...And round and round we go.

17 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

I think it's clear that without a change in the seating plan nothing will ever improve.  

Like you say we need an larger area thats sold as a singing section.  This will mean moving season ticket holders but other clubs have done this so i'm sure its possible.  The problem lies with the club not being interested.  Without them on board nothing will change.

Until then we'll just be moaning about the poor atmosphere, how people leave early etc etc...And round and round we go.

For me personally, if I don’t get a ticket in the section, I don’t go, unless I get offered one of my mates STs who doesn’t go. And I know there a quite a few who feel the same.

There’s clear demand and lots of options as to how to expand it.

Safe standing would also be an option in the kop. Imo if they put that in the kop, the who stand would be standing.

But I don’t know how to convince the club. Start a petition?

4 minutes ago, KIRBYFOX93 said:

If/When the ground extension happens, we will see a change regarding safe standing in the family area of the stadium.

Given the club's comments to us after the singing section in M1 Vs Brighton, I highly doubt that. 

You're right though about nothing happening until the ground expansion. 

Personally I feel it's a lot further down the round than some people think but it's just a small part of the wider expansion/development plan so isn't getting too much thought right now. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GlennyFox55 said:

Always thought the A1/A2 &/or C1/C2 blocks were better suited for family enclosures than behind the goal. 

Cheap seats and get a good view/interaction with the players warming up. 

Also very quite stands. Sat in C1 once and all I could hear was the away fans. Pissed me right off 😂

5 hours ago, GlennyFox55 said:

Always thought the A1/A2 &/or C1/C2 blocks were better suited for family enclosures than behind the goal. 

Cheap seats and get a good view/interaction with the players warming 

Don't really get why the club insists on family stand being right next to away fans. Do they not realise what are a dismal atmosphere it is for the youngsters to encounter as their first games.  I soon stopped taking my lad in there when he was first old enough to attend.  All you hear is the abuse of the away fans and you leave as a kid thinking your owns fans are rubbish and quiet compared to the exciting away fans whom you have heard all game long.  Is that what the club wants? So preoccupied in making sure there isn't any tension that they've basically chucked the families in to receive all the abuse and give a sh**e impression for our young newbies. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Batfink77 said:

Don't really get why the club insists on family stand being right next to away fans. Do they not realise what are a dismal atmosphere it is for the youngsters to encounter as their first games.  I soon stopped taking my lad in there when he was first old enough to attend.  All you hear is the abuse of the away fans and you leave as a kid thinking your owns fans are rubbish and quiet compared to the exciting away fans whom you have heard all game long.  Is that what the club wants? So preoccupied in making sure there isn't any tension that they've basically chucked the families in to receive all the abuse and give a sh**e impression for our young newbies. 

Put the away fans behind the goal or move the Kop.

One of the two.

Anyone that thinks the configuration of the stadium is the problem it’s not it may be a solution and help improve the atmosphere but it isn’t the reason are atmosphere is rubbish we have had one of the best home atmospheres in England with the stadium configuration the issue is that most of are fans don’t want to sing and think that if they wave an honesty flag go to games and clap a bit of plastic then they have done enough to support the team also against Leeds atmosphere generally was poor once again which I was surprised by with the amount of people on here wanting a good atmosphere where I am in P the atmosphere is based on how loud L1 is which has been silent the whole season 

7 hours ago, GlennyFox55 said:

Cheap seats and get a good view/interaction with the players warming up. 

Agree with this. 

Perhaps the security like to have a buffer between the home/away fans at least on one side and think the families will achieve that. 

21 hours ago, MS0204 said:

The moaning about creating a singing section from the flask and blanket brigade would double. Personally if I ever get that lottery win and a place on the board I'd be straight on the CCTV having those fcvkers STs revoked but until then you'll get opposition from anything progressive. Let's not forget about a dozen people complained that tifo's block their view, so asking more people to move 20 yards to the left would be an outrage.

• Haha 1