Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
1884Man

Stadium atmosphere

15 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

Honestly, the only Premier League ground I can admit has a genuinely good atmosphere is Elland Road. Their end behind the goal is noisy and goes all game. I left our 1-1 against them last year begrudgingly impressed.

There honestly isn't another ground worth mentioning. The 'famous atmospheres' at the likes of Anfield and St. James' Park are in reality 5-10 minutes per game. Former fortresses like Villa Park are silent from start to finish. Old Trafford is appalling - genuinely the worst I've ever been to relative to its size and fame, just a bunch of tourists and day trippers. Newly promoted teams make a bit of a racket - sure, Forest have it in them and I remember Sheff Utd. being the same in their first season back - but they quickly revert to form - Brentford being a good example, their atmosphere does not reflect the success they're having at all, it's bang average.

Our atmosphere was incredible from 2014-16, and then beyond that during the UCL run. Ever since it's declined to, at best, be par for the shitey course, and being starved of anything to shout about for the past two years by Rodgersball has been the final nail in the coffin. English football atmosphere is the pits, as anyone here who has enjoyed any of our trips to Europe will confirm.

Just because everyone’s is poor doesn’t mean we can’t try and change it at our ground and make it one of the good ones

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lcfc098 said:

Just because everyone’s is poor doesn’t mean we can’t try and change it at our ground and make it one of the good ones

Oh I don't doubt that. I'm having a good time in SK1 since moving this year from L1. But unfortunately that's about where it ends.

It's honestly so hard to get excited or start generating atmosphere on our own when the football we're subjected to is as dull as we're seeing.

I'm by no means a 'quiet fan', I can get as lairy as the best of them, but it really does feel like you're on a hiding to nothing trying to generate atmosphere when there's absolutely nothing to raise your pulses on the pitch. Nobody seems arsed, on the grass or in the stands. We need a special moment to get the hairs on our necks up, like we saw in the Forest game - that felt like the good old days of 14-17.

23 hours ago, Lcfc098 said:

Didn't say their support was good?

The point I'm making is that we can sometimes get tunnel vision about how poor our home support is. 

It's only when you go away and see other clubs' home support do you realize we're not as bad as we think, the example being how quiet Newcastle support was on Tuesday night. 

The sooner the results improve the better the atmosphere will become.

On 12/01/2023 at 19:51, Fox92 said:

St James' Park has been very quiet whenever I've been and I include Tuesday with that, despite the fact it was their "biggest match" in years.

I can't stand them. Such a chip on their shoulder. 50,000 fans at a home game and they think they're massive. No major trophy since 1969. Fvck off.

Was that a major trophy though? Might've been a big thing at the time but the Fairs Cup is long gone, consigned to history. Just like the old format European Cup that hasn't been played for in over 30 years (Notts Forrest haven't won the Champions League, or even played in it, despite what they think). Newcastle's last major domestic trophy was in 1954 and somehow they've unjustifiably carried that big club tag with them ever since. Bit like Wolves are a big club as they were the first to play under floodlights. All about perception, not reality. 

1 minute ago, jonathan_ross said:

Twice today attempted to start a Rogers out chant in my section when we went behind and when Brighton equalised only to be told to shut up from a couple of snooty supporters.

Maybe the only solution is signing up to all our next opponents fans forums and begging them to start the sacked in the morning chants every time we are behind!

Legendary idea - I'm in.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

In the minority in the stadium because despite the constsnt all the 'real fans are season ticket holders' and 'everybody else is a plastic', most of our fans barring a few sections are 50+ women, upper-middle class men and children basically enjoying the fact they can afford a season ticket and have somewhere to go on a Saturday afternoon rather than caring about anything that happens on or off the pitch.

Upper middle class men at lcfc lol given our most frequent chants are ‘how sh1t must you be we’re winning at home/away’ and ‘feed the scousers’ I reckon there’s not much class around 

• Haha 2