Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
1884Man

Stadium atmosphere

14 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

There's a lot of ways we can judge the positivity or negativity of a team, consistent xG is a pretty fair baseline to be honest, people moan about xG because it's misused but looking at a teams expected output over longer periods (like a whole season) is exactly where it's value is. 

It's also fairly easy to judge how progressive a team is, there's statistics on progressive carries, progressive passes, along with the distances of those both in terms of average and sum (in metric or imperial!) 

There are statistics on the average length of a possession before a chance is created, the volume of passes forward vs lateral, you name it, we've got stats for it these days in modern football. I think there is quite alot of ways to quantify how a football team plays mathematically, to the extent that, yes, you can objectively debunk the suggestion that this is the slowest and most negative we've ever played. 

Now, you are correct about one thing, I haven't posted a rich and detailed analysis of the football we played under Puel, Rodgers and Maresca to evidence my previous post. But given that it's obvious to anyone that's watched us play in that time period and I'm 99.9% sure if I spend a couple of hours pouring through fbref's OPTA data it'll back up what I've just said and I really, really, really can't be bothered doing so then I guess we're just going to have to leave it at that. 

I appreciate the attempt at being glib though, it'd normally be right up my street. 

Well, you are correct in one respect.   There is a mass of data relating to football, but I'm not convinced it ultimately gives you the answer to whether football is pleasing on one's eye or not.

I've seen games with apparently "good" stats that I thought were a bit flat, and games that didn't look good statistically, but I thought were exciting.    You can come up with the number "42" but it honestly doesn't tell you how you actually felt about the match ie whether it was exciting or boring.

But I'm glad you appreciated my attempt at being glib.   I'm sure you're a lovely chap/lass/other, but (in my opinion) your postings do occasionally come across as a bit pompous!  :)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Craig said:

On the family stand point - the family stand is actually only two blocks now. It was reduced a couple of seasons ago.

Of course, some haven’t moved into the smaller area, but the other blocks are just like the rest now in terms of buying tickets etc.

And pretty decent as well in the blocks near the away end

I have just caught up the last 3-4 pages since Saturday… I think I need a lie down lol 

I stand by what I said about the section Saturday, ufs lads and rightly so that more comments are being made about your efforts which is great to see, great.. it breaks down in the middle and the back was ok to be honest. Overall good but can be so much better. I don’t understand why you would get a ticket and not want to join in.. you don’t have to jump around with scarves or as Mr Guest says, wave your flags like your windsurfing but we can all have a sing song can’t we? Most active I see the section is after the goals scored.. 

I am in C1 for the Huddersfield game NYD, god help me but my boys legs ached standing in the section all game Saturday hence why he wants to sit, but can’t wait to check out the acoustics from a different perspective. Apparently as Mr Guest states the section can’t be heard from SK4 yet Plymouth fans could? it will be interesting to see whether that’s the case :rolleyes: 

7 hours ago, Foxoffice said:

I’ve followed for over 30 years, since when did it become a competition who sings or who stays the longest, people pay hard earned money to attend the games, they are entitled to do what they want and when they want, our home support has never been good, couple of decent pens next to the away supporters in the Kop before the crazy corner, the rest of Filbert St was silent. Nothings changed apart from some individuals on social media thinking they have a right to suggest how our supporters watch and enjoy the matches! 

Alright so what your suggesting about fans can do what they want because they pay don’t ever demand hard work from the players because their getting paid so can do what they want 

2 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

There is a mass of data relating to football, but I'm not convinced it ultimately gives you the answer to whether football is pleasing on one's eye or not.

I feel I covered that really. I've not said anyone has to enjoy how we're currently playing or that it's the best and most exciting way to play. 

It just isn't the slowest build up we've ever had and it isn't the most negative we've played. 

20 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

UFS and the other supporter groups meeting Enzo at Seagrave tonight. Hopefully he'll recognise at least some are trying for him and the team. 

Was this meeting instigated by the supporter groups, the club, or Enzo himself? 

Would be interesting to know what he says, if that's something you'd be able to share. 

12 minutes ago, ShepshedFox1884 said:

Alright so what your suggesting about fans can do what they want because they pay don’t ever demand hard work from the players because their getting paid so can do what they want 

Clearly you’ve taken my quote out of context, they can demand all they want or not if they’d prefer.

who are you are me to determine that? 

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

Sod the atmosphere for a minute, I´m far more interested in who supposedly is part of the FT mafia?!

There is no such thing as a mafia, so I am led to believe. They are just business people who are unfairly tarnished because of their origins and affiliation.

Anyway, it doesn't matter as I believe someone will be quite quiet once he's resting in the ground's new stand's concrete foundations.

8 hours ago, Foxoffice said:

I’ve followed for over 30 years, since when did it become a competition who sings or who stays the longest, people pay hard earned money to attend the games, they are entitled to do what they want and when they want, our home support has never been good, couple of decent pens next to the away supporters in the Kop before the crazy corner, the rest of Filbert St was silent. Nothings changed apart from some individuals on social media thinking they have a right to suggest how our supporters watch and enjoy the matches! 

Most of the excuse boxes ticked here.

Shepshedfox, someone spending their hard earned money for the match and choosing how to support the team, is not the same as the players doing what they like because they get paid to play. It’s completely different. As far as I can see, the players are giving their all. Presumably, if they went to a concert or similar, and wanted to leave early, having paid for their ticket, that would be their choice.

8 hours ago, splinterdream said:

Are there too many ST holders? 

My point being when somebody keeps renewing, are they just going because they can rather than being thrilled to be there and support the team.

Comments like it's difficult to get up for a game against Plymouth and it was cold is just bizarre to me.

This is part of the issue and has been mentioned elsewhere, people don't want to necessarily go to a lot of the Champ games but know if they give up their ST now it could be years before they get it back and could miss out on the glorious home games of United, City, Liverpool and the rest. Therefore they're literally just there making up the numbers.

But Ronnie Todger also had it right when he mentioned that our fans really aren't that up for it. For a lot of fanbases - Leeds, Newcastle, Liverpool, even Forest to an extent, they live for their football. Too many of our fans have City as a hobby, a nice day out, it's not their main passion in life. I see comments like "people leave because they want to get home for their dinner at a reasonable time" and just wonder why they don't say "I'm really not that arsed about the club"

By all means, support the club how you want to support them, don't let others lecture you how you support them but next time the players down tools and ship 4 goals in a relegation struggle just remember they're just showing the exact same commitment you did on Saturday.

3 hours ago, MS0204 said:

I have just caught up the last 3-4 pages since Saturday… I think I need a lie down lol 

I stand by what I said about the section Saturday, ufs lads and rightly so that more comments are being made about your efforts which is great to see, great.. it breaks down in the middle and the back was ok to be honest. Overall good but can be so much better. I don’t understand why you would get a ticket and not want to join in.. you don’t have to jump around with scarves or as Mr Guest says, wave your flags like your windsurfing but we can all have a sing song can’t we? Most active I see the section is after the goals scored.. 

I am in C1 for the Huddersfield game NYD, god help me but my boys legs ached standing in the section all game Saturday hence why he wants to sit, but can’t wait to check out the acoustics from a different perspective. Apparently as Mr Guest states the section can’t be heard from SK4 yet Plymouth fans could? it will be interesting to see whether that’s the case :rolleyes: 

you will have learnt by now, whether people like or don't like what I say, I don't chat shit, and tbf it makes perfect sense with the acoustics that in sk4 you can't hear anything of note by people sitting directly to the right who are singing to a different direction compared to away fans who are basically facing sk4. think it was the stoke game where I said i was sat in the north stand and could hear UFS much better than as was directly opposite.  

26 minutes ago, iancognito said:

This is part of the issue and has been mentioned elsewhere, people don't want to necessarily go to a lot of the Champ games but know if they give up their ST now it could be years before they get it back and could miss out on the glorious home games of United, City, Liverpool and the rest. Therefore they're literally just there making up the numbers.

But Ronnie Todger also had it right when he mentioned that our fans really aren't that up for it. For a lot of fanbases - Leeds, Newcastle, Liverpool, even Forest to an extent, they live for their football. Too many of our fans have City as a hobby, a nice day out, it's not their main passion in life. I see comments like "people leave because they want to get home for their dinner at a reasonable time" and just wonder why they don't say "I'm really not that arsed about the club"

By all means, support the club how you want to support them, don't let others lecture you how you support them but next time the players down tools and ship 4 goals in a relegation struggle just remember they're just showing the exact same commitment you did on Saturday.

on £100k a week....