Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
1884Man

Stadium atmosphere

Said it before, we need to call (sing) them out.

A rendition of the old "Loyal Supporters" chant from our own directed towards our own to make it known we've seen you and you are an embarrassing disgrace.

No doubt it would still be water off a ducks back to these entitled ignorants.

Edited by ElusiveEd
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, grobyfox1990 said:

You beat me to it by a few minutes!

I was about to say ... not just us then.   Apparently Liverpool fans unable to get up for their so-called biggest rivals, or a 5-1 thrashing in a quarter final.

After Sunday's goalless draw with Manchester United, television pundit Gary Neville said: "The atmosphere was the worst I've seen at Anfield ever.
"I've always been complimentary of Liverpool fans. It's the biggest crowd they've had here in 60 or 70 years but it's the quietest crowd I've seen in this game."
And Klopp was no more complimentary after the win over West Ham.
"In the first half, when the boys played exceptionally, I was not overly happy with the atmosphere behind me," he said.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

You beat me to it by a few minutes!

I was about to say ... not just us then.   Apparently Liverpool fans unable to get up for their so-called biggest rivals, or a 5-1 thrashing in a quarter final.

After Sunday's goalless draw with Manchester United, television pundit Gary Neville said: "The atmosphere was the worst I've seen at Anfield ever.
"I've always been complimentary of Liverpool fans. It's the biggest crowd they've had here in 60 or 70 years but it's the quietest crowd I've seen in this game."
And Klopp was no more complimentary after the win over West Ham.
"In the first half, when the boys played exceptionally, I was not overly happy with the atmosphere behind me," he said.

Defo clear that it's a problem with most clubs in England, which is why the grossly exaggerated comments like 'worst club in the country clubs a shambles ticket office shambles' comments are funny. Interesting that managers and players are getting more direct/aggressive in calling it out.

Imagine if Enzo told all the 82nd minute leavers to sell their ticket and not come to the match!!! There'd be a meltdown. 'shambles!!!!!!!!!!'

• Like 1

The bigger sized clubs have contributed to this situation massively.  The average age of the PL fan must be quite high now as they’re locked into their seats.

I’d guess SK2 where I sit is an average age of 55 minimum.  It’s too comfy now once you’ve had a ST.

For the Plymouth game a young lad (13 probably) was properly getting into the game cheering the team on.  

It needs more youth coming through the supporters ranks but they’re effectively blocked from going. 

I watch more non-league now and enjoy making my decision whether to go closer to the game.  It’s a much more mixed age group with more youngsters watching.

15 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Not really sure how to take this.

Great he wants to make an atmosphere, but highlights to every fan they're easily replaced 

It's the right thing to say, basically telling those passively attending that he'd rather someone who cares or is more passionate attend. It's the same at Leicester, as has been said many times before, in that we will have a portion of fans who attend out of habit and probably don't thoroughly enjoy it anymore. 

Edited by Jackubu
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Great he wants to make an atmosphere, but highlights to every fan they're easily replaced 

I get this from Klopp as his team were relentless last night and did plenty to lift the fans 

This sort of thing is a two way street for me. The fans and the team should be doing their best to lift each other to optimise the environment for the result and overall experience 

When the team is consistently half arsed though, despite fans getting behind them,  there shouldn’t be any complaints from the manager when the atmosphere goes flat 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Seems to be happening more and more, its really sad but that's English football.  There is zero appetite from the clubs or fans to change anything.  Lets face it its nothing new its been this way for many years and things haven't changed so Iwhy would things improve now?

The league is to successful and authorities and the clubs don't want to risk changing anything.

Like I've said before the only way things can change is if the fans want change, to organize themselves, yes it will some lenience from the clubs but it has to start with the fans and the majority don't care about the atmosphere that's just the truth.

This lull in atmosphere in English club football is one that I genuinely think is quite recent and I still can't quite put my finger on why.

With regards to Leicester specifically, I don't think we've ever been up there with the best support home or away but at least up until our previous promotion to the premier League we were at least average and at times a bit better than that.  I might be biased as that's the season I got to most away games but it felt like 13/14 was a relative peak for consistency in my time supporting Leicester - it helped that we were winning loads but as we can see from this season that's not a guarantee of good atmosphere.

The main obvious difference between them and now it's the escalation of the smart phone and I've seen that really affect how things are at gigs - it used to be feral and really intense but (and this isn't entirely a bad thing) it's become much calmer now.

Perhaps it's the younger generation who usually make noise being the first to grow up in a really sanitised era?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

It's a fair comment, but then clubs make it so difficult to ticket swap so in theory, his request is close to impossible.

There is zero alignment between boards, coaching/playing staff and fans on this issue.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I get this from Klopp as his team were relentless last night and did plenty to lift the fans 

This sort of thing is a two way street for me. The fans and the team should be doing their best to lift each other to optimise the environment for the result and overall experience 

When the team is consistently half arsed though, despite fans getting behind them,  there shouldn’t be any complaints from the manager when the atmosphere goes flat 

12 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

Seems to be happening more and more, its really sad but that's English football.  There is zero appetite from the clubs or fans to change anything.  Lets face it its nothing new its been this way for many years and things haven't changed so Iwhy would things improve now?

The league is to successful and authorities and the clubs don't want to risk changing anything.

Like I've said before the only way things can change is if the fans want change, to organize themselves, yes it will some lenience from the clubs but it has to start with the fans and the majority don't care about the atmosphere that's just the truth.

Clubs have seen and realised the money comes from TV viewing and abroad TV deals. Match going fans are always last on the agenda, and as expected, many have been replaced by tourist fans rather than new blood of younger fans.

It's all well and good Klopp demanding an atmosphere, just as Enzo does, but if the club doesn't help facilitate the fans to produce that, then we'll continue down this path.

Look at the general sale issue for us, I half understand in the Prem stopping huge numbers of tourist fans turning up. But we aren't in the Prem, stopping new blooded fans is killing us long term.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, billyn88 said:

The main obvious difference between them and now it's the escalation of the smart phone and I've seen that really affect how things are at gigs - it used to be feral and really intense but (and this isn't entirely a bad thing) it's become much calmer now.

Perhaps it's the younger generation who usually make noise being the first to grow up in a really sanitised era?

We probably go to different gigs but post pandemic I've been to about a dozen gigs. Seen plenty of crowdsurfing, stage diving and general sweaty mayhem. 

It's not necessarily the world but the environment. It's why McDonald's play classical music in their shops now. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

We probably go to different gigs but post pandemic I've been to about a dozen gigs. Seen plenty of crowdsurfing, stage diving and general sweaty mayhem. 

It's not necessarily the world but the environment. It's why McDonald's play classical music in their shops now. 

I actually wonder if it's a bit more about our aging population. The fanbases in stadiums are generally a lot older now.

Plus we live in a two-tier have/have not society. The have not's simply can't afford to go to the football, in the 70's, 80's and 90's they would've been there. 

If you think about society now, it's ripe historical conditions for counter cultures, out of touch government who basically everybody hates, terrible economic conditions etc etc, but there's absolutely nothing. It's very sad.  

• Like 1

Our support has always been below par ever since I started going regularly in 2006. Remember the days when you could be on the second back row of an away end and still be made to sit down lol

The real decline has come from the likes of Man United and Liverpool who were always the trend setters for the UK scene. I seem to distinctly remember noticing a tangible difference in prem atmospheres (through the TV admittedly) the season after Man City won the league in 2013/2014. Not sure why exactly, but that's when it became noticeable to me.

One of the potential elephants in the room is the lack of diversity in the match going fan (not making a political point, just a pure observation). I may be wrong on this, but I think French support is quite diverse- for example Marseille and PSG's ultras have a strong contingent from Algerian/Tunisian communities. Now I know its much harder for new fans to get - and be able to afford - tickets in the UK, but we are missing out on large swathes of young, working-class people (who actually reside in the cities) who would undoubtedly freshen up the stale scene.

If you look at our support, Villa's, Man United's etc you would basically think these cities are 95% white English.